Remember Louisville 14' | The Boneyard

Remember Louisville 14'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I by no means trust this team, coaching staff or even most of our athletic department right now.

That being said, when I was a senior in 2014 we had about 60 people over with kegs, food, you name it, to watch the Huskies get absolutely murdered by Siva, Hancock, Harrell, etc at the YUM Center. Pretty sure we lost by 33, it was absolute destruction.. I wouldn't have bet a dollar on that team to get out of the first round. By some miracle, Ollie and the guys figured it out, Shabazz led us to the conference tournament final, (through Cincinnati I may add, in a very close game) and we know what followed.

Do I believe lightning strikes twice? no. All I'm saying is, you never know, you never freakin know. As much as I despise this team I will watch when we line up next weekend in the conference tournament. I don't want, I NEED Rodney Purvis to step into the leader role. After we won in Dallas he tweeted out "Bazz said I'm next." Start acting like it Rodney and demand the ball.

Reaction Score
. . . when I was a senior in 2014 . . . to watch the Huskies get absolutely murdered by. . . .After we won in Dallas he tweeted out "Bazz said I'm next." Start acting like it Rodney and demand the ball.
1. Not remotely a good comparison. 14 was a great team, LVille just had our number because of the guard matchups. This year's team is awful, and teams just beat us, not because they have our number, but because we're not good.
2. I'm not sure I know what ails this team, but I do know that the treatment for the disease is not "get the ball in Rodney's hands more." He's not even remotely the type of player that Bazz was, and it's a bit unfair to suggest he should be.

Reaction Score
1. Not remotely a good comparison. 14 was a great team, LVille just had our number because of the guard matchups. This year's team is awful, and teams just beat us, not because they have our number, but because we're not good.
2. I'm not sure I know what ails this team, but I do know that the treatment for the disease is not "get the ball in Rodney's hands more." He's not even remotely the type of player that Bazz was, and it's a bit unfair to suggest he should be.

There was nothing in light of the Louisville game to suggest that 2014 was a great team.

Reaction Score
The horrible Louisville loss at the end of 2014 reg season is a lot more comparable to last night than most people would like to realize/admit.

Until we went on that NCAA run, many people on this board (some very good posters) were questioning Bazz and his leadership.
I know this sounds crazy now but its true. No one was calling that team great before the NCAA started.

Take care of business Sunday, show up Friday and do something we have always done since we have been in this league (not lose in the first rd of the conference tournament). And we are dancing

There is a lot of ball still to be played, season is not over in the least.

Reaction Score
That Lville loss was sandwiched between a bunch of wins. if not for those Lville ass kickings maybe we don't win it all in 2014 I doubt we beat MSU in the elite 8 that year. Gotta stop making excuses for this team and banking off the past. Of course nothing is written in stone thats why they call it March Madness its up to Uconn if they wanna be a part of it, Shabazz isn't walking through that door.

Reaction Score
The Louisville game was tough, but the way the team responded in the AAC Tournament gave themselves and the fans some confidence going into the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
The horrible Louisville loss at the end of 2014 reg season is a lot more comparable to last night than most people would like to realize/admit.

Until we went on that NCAA run, many people on this board (some very good posters) were questioning Bazz and his leadership.
I know this sounds crazy now but its true. No one was calling that team great before the NCAA started.

Take care of business Sunday, show up Friday and do something we have always done since we have been in this league (not lose in the first rd of the conference tournament). And we are dancing

There is a lot of ball still to be played, season is not over in the least.
from your fingers to the hoops G-ds ears.

Reaction Score

Going into the Louisville game in 2014 we were ranked #27 on kenpom.

Going into the SMU game the other day, we were #28.

27 = great
28 = awful

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The Louisville game was tough, but the way the team responded in the AAC Tournament gave themselves and the fans some confidence going into the NCAA Tournament.

Until they looked foolish again against Louisville in the championship.

Reaction Score
Comparisons to the 2014 are a complete joke. That team had the great Shabazz. The heart of a lion, Boatright. And the silent assassin, Deandre. This team has none of those types of players. But at least JA gives me hope for the future.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The Boneyard- Where a blowout loss in March is seen as a potentially positive sign.

Reaction Score
Comparisons to the 2014 are a complete joke. That team had the great Shabazz. The heart of a lion, Boatright. And the silent assassin, Deandre. This team has none of those types of players. But at least JA gives me hope for the future.

The comparison is not to suggest the teams themselves are comparable, but to show that all the chickens with their heads cut off are irrational.

The Boneyard- Where a blowout loss in March is seen as a potentially positive sign.

No one said that.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
The comparison is not to suggest the teams themselves are comparable, but to show that all the chickens with their heads cut off are irrational.

No one said that.
Exactly. People (myself included) were just pointing out the last time we were blown out like this on the road or at all was Louisville in 2014 and look what followed. The season wasn't over because of one game where it looked like the team lost all interest and packed it in. No one has said this team has a player comparable to Shabazz or a junior DD or was going to win 9 of 10 games now. Just that the season isn't over due to one massive blowout in a gym we seemingly can't win in ever.

Reaction Score
Going into the Louisville game in 2014 we were ranked #27 on kenpom.
Going into the SMU game the other day, we were #28.
So you hug KPom's Pom Poms and cherry pick that number and you conclude What? The 14 team and this team are about the same?
Here's some more fruit for you - not just the cherries.

The 14 team was ranked in the top 10, coaches and ap, Week 6, and was top 20 for 2 months and was 19 going into Louisville at about this same time of year.

This team started at 19 and quickly fell out of the top 20, then out of the top 25. As of now, we're not even listed in "others receiving votes."

Our record going into Louisville was 24 and 6, with losses to SMU x2, Louisville (ranked 18), Cincinnati (ranked 7, by 5), Houston (by 4), and Stanford (by 2).

Our record now is 20 and 10 with bad losses to bad teams, which I won't recount to spare our souls the pain.

Going into the Louisville game we had beaten 4 top twenty teams, including eventual final four Florida.

This year? Our signature win was against the #21 team in the country.

So what was your point again? That KenPom has some advanced metrics that show we're about as good now as we were in 14 going into Louisville?

If that helps, then drink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3