Remakes that are better than original | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Remakes that are better than original

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is a controversial one: Arthur

I really hate Liza Minelli. I think she is a terrible actress that mugs for the camera, and I think she is hideously ugly, which matters in this movie. Her character was really unlikable and kind of nasty and self-centered. So why is it believable that the heir to a fortune would give it all up for her, which is the central point to the whole plot. The Susan character in the original is actually very sympathetic, and seems like a victim to Minelli's gold-digging and Arthur's general recklessness. It actually isn't clear at all why he leaves Susan, other than he just happens to like Minelli better, which makes Arthur seem like a real jerk.

Another issue with the original is that Dudley Moore is way too old. He was 45 during filming. I think the character is a bad 70's sketch comedy portrayal of a drunk guy, and there is no depth or self-realization of what a loser he is. I can't believe he got nominated for an Oscar for that train wreck of a performance.

Finally, John Gielgud is just a jerk in the movie. His dripping sarcasm could be perceived as annoyance not just with the character, but with the whole stupid movie.

I won't get into the sequel too much. I thought it was an adequate, amusing movie. My issue is more with the original, which I think is one of the more overrated movies of all time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My kids have recently gotten into "The Parent Trap" movies and I gotta say the Lindsay Lohan version is so much better.
I still liked the original better. But yes the remake was pretty cute.

Reaction Score
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
A Fistful of Dollars

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Both Red Dragons were awesome, but I like the second one a little more mostly because of the first 5 minutes. When the cellist misses the note, Hopkins wince was subtle but so freaking awesome.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Count of Monte Cristo - I was never a big Richard Chamberlain fan, and thought he chewed the scenery in the original. This story is so good it is almost impossible to screw up.

Reaction Score
Here is a controversial one: Arthur

I really hate Liza Minelli. I think she is a terrible actress that mugs for the camera, and I think she is hideously ugly, which matters in this movie. Her character was really unlikable and kind of nasty and self-centered. So why is it believable that the heir to a fortune would give it all up for her, which is the central point to the whole plot. The Susan character in the original is actually very sympathetic, and seems like a victim to Minelli's gold-digging and Arthur's general recklessness. It actually isn't clear at all why he leaves Susan, other than he just happens to like Minelli better, which makes Arthur seem like a real jerk.

Another issue with the original is that Dudley Moore is way too old. He was 45 during filming. I think the character is a bad 70's sketch comedy portrayal of a drunk guy, and there is no depth or self-realization of what a loser he is. I can't believe he got nominated for an Oscar for that train wreck of a performance.

Finally, John Gielgud is just a jerk in the movie. His dripping sarcasm could be perceived as annoyance not just with the character, but with the whole stupid movie.

I won't get into the sequel too much. I thought it was an adequate, amusing movie. My issue is more with the original, which I think is one of the more overrated movies of all time.

I don't know that I've ever met anyone who's seen both versions of "Arthur".

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Both Red Dragons were awesome, but I like the second one a little more mostly because of the first 5 minutes. When the cellist misses the note, Hopkins wince was subtle but so freaking awesome.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
A Fistful of Dollars

The 1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers was decidedly creepy. I haven't seen it for years, but it's probably worth a re-watch.

Reaction Score
The 1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers was decidedly creepy. I haven't seen it for years, but it's probably worth a re-watch.

306529.jpg

Reaction Score
to me, the two The Thing are wildly different movies - both good, but not sure I can compare them.

I was thinking the same thing, the Hawks version and the Carpenter version are almost two different stories. I haven't read the short story the movie's were based on, but my understanding is that the Carpenter version comes closer to capturing the shape-shifting aspect of the alien and the paranoia among the researchers from the story. Still, like you said, both are good on their own merits.

Reaction Score
True Grit

3:10 to Yuma

Wasn't the second True Grit really just another swing at an adaptation of the book? I don't consider it to be a true remake.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the second True Grit really just another swing at an adaptation of the book? I don't consider it to be a true remake.

I would agree with that. The first one was more focused on the John Wayne's Rooster Cogburn while serving to diminish the girl, and in the Coen Brothers remake, the opposite is true.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yes Hailee Steinfeld was very, very good. Got a Oscar nomination for it. She also got a Golden Globe nomination this year for Edge of 17, another good performance.
So I just realized that this is the same kid who sings this song:
Pretty talented kid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn't a fair comparison, but the Peter Jackson version of Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers blow away Ralph Bakshi's LOTR.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And yes, Glen Campbell was better than Matt Damon too.

Yeah, no. Campbell's performance might have been the worst acting in a major motion picture I've ever seen.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

The second movie was more true to the book's ending.

Reaction Score
King Kong
The Thing
Agree with True Grit and War of the Worlds calls above
Batman
Cape Fear

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dunno. I loved Goldie back in the day. Let's see how Kate holds up.

Agree. Goldie beats Kate at the same ages. Kate's eyes are too far apart.

I think it's easy for people to forget what certain celebs once looked like. Teri Garr in Young Frankenstein for example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom