Remaining players needed | The Boneyard

Remaining players needed

Reaction Score
The remaining players needed are Gaffney, Diggins, Floyd and Akok. It's clear as the days pass that DH never planned for any early departure other than Cole and Martin.. He never anticipated the situation he's now in at guard -- having to recruit a ball handler willing to play back-up behind his obvious first choice. Nor, as he admits, did he foresee the loss of Akok. What he failed to appreciate across the board was the expectations of the players already on his roster.

This is not ,to say that Newton's recruitment wasn't essential. Only to say that the repercussions of recruiting him were not anticipated and planned for.

Looking forward, I suspect that DH is pretty much winging it. But he is blessed with a potentially fruitful portal and should be able to fill the holes. I do think we can replace the caliber of the players lost. I doubt that we can recreate the chemistry we thought we had in returning a bunch of bonded and committed guys.

Reaction Score
The remaining players needed are Gaffney, Diggins, Floyd and Akok. It's clear as the days pass that DH never planned for any early departure other than Cole and Martin.. He never anticipated the situation he's now in at guard -- having to recruit a ball handler willing to play back-up behind his obvious first choice. Nor, as he admits, did he foresee the loss of Akok. What he failed to appreciate across the board was the expectations of the players already on his roster.

This is not ,to say that Newton's recruitment wasn't essential. Only to say that the repercussions of recruiting him were not anticipated and planned for.

Looking forward, I suspect that DH is pretty much winging it. But he is blessed with a potentially fruitful portal and should be able to fill the holes. I do think we can replace the caliber of the players lost. I doubt that we can recreate the chemistry we thought we had in returning a bunch of bonded and committed guys.
Wow, you managed to get everything wrong with this post.

Reaction Score
I think we have our starting line up. We need 1 starting caliber combo guard, a Castle reclass, and a depth forward.

PG: Newton - Castle
SG: Hawkins - Guard TBD
SF: Jackson - Karaban - Forward TBD
PF: Johnson - Karaban - Springs
C: Sanogo - Clingan

Reaction Score
I think we have our starting line up. We need 1 starting caliber combo guard, a Castle reclass, and a depth forward.

Sort of scary when you lay it out like that. Need Hawkins to remember how to dribble next year and take a huge leap. Gotta hope that TBD kid is all conference too as the competition at the 3/4 is Jackson and a kid who’s got a lot of potential but barely any run

Reaction Score

On paper that's probably even worse ballhandling and breakdown ability than last year. We badly need another stud guard who gets in the lane and scores.

Reaction Score

I think Hurley knew, or hoped that Akok, Diggins and Gaffney would leave. Akok and Gaffney are probably terrific people, but neither have major conference skills. Diggins, IMO, was a mistake that fits into the same category as far as skill level. If you're going to cut your losses, there's no better time than right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Is that why those guys are being recruited by lower level programs now? What a stupid post, they weren’t championship level players.

Akok was, but injuries cost him. Diggins and Gaffney aren’t and nobody knows about Floyd.

Thx for trying and rooting for UConn tho smh

Reaction Score
Wow, you managed to get everything wrong with this post.
Lord knows I try.

"The truth is more often a lone voice than a chorus, especially when the chorus is in full harmony." ~~ Short Thoughts for the Long Haul

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think newton jackson hawkins and sanogo are locked in starters, for the 5th spot, I would like to see whichever of karaban johnson and castle is shooting the ball best.

Reaction Score
On paper that's probably even worse ballhandling and breakdown ability than last year. We badly need another stud guard who gets in the lane and scores.

I think we’ll be alright. Just need Newton to cut down on the turnovers and Hawkins to work on his handles to get to an adequate level. Last year he couldn’t be the ball on the floor much at all. Banking on a steady improvement from him. Also assuming Castle is on board, he will be a solid backup PG for next season.

We ideally need a combo guard to fill that open spot. Good handles, decent scorer. A Corey Floyd Jr kinda player :/

Reaction Score
I think newton jackson hawkins and sanogo are locked in starters, for the 5th spot, I would like to see whichever of karaban johnson and castle is shooting the ball best.

Go small with Karaban for offense and big with Johnson for defense. Matchup based.

Reaction Score
On paper that's probably even worse ballhandling and breakdown ability than last year.
agree we still need another good G that can break down his defender and get his own shot but replacing a PG (cole) and a wing (martin) with two PGs (newton and castle) would have to constitute an upgrade in ball handling
I think we’ll be alright. Just need Newton to cut down on the turnovers and Hawkins to work on his handles to get to an adequate level. Last year he couldn’t be the ball on the floor much at all. Banking on a steady improvement from him. Also assuming Castle is on board, he will be a solid backup PG for next season.

We ideally need a combo guard to fill that open spot. Good handles, decent scorer. A Corey Floyd Jr kinda player :/
you had me until the last sentence. we dont want our entire bench to all be freshmen (castle, floyd, karaban, clingan). we're upgrading our Gs from top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Really no need to guess. Hurley said he’s going for two more perimeter players (guards) that are ready to contribute this year, and then a couple more developmental types (won’t really play this year if we find them). There’s 5 scholarships so that still leaves room for Castle.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I thing I Bleed Blue is on the correct track.
Hopefully the Newton, Castle dynamic works out to be like the Kemba, Bazz season and Hawkins is this years Jeremy Lamb.
Last thing I want to see happen is ticking off Castle. After this off season it's worth it imo to "suffer" through some growing pains with Castle for the recruiting future. But I will say that the SG TBD better have really good passing and defensive skills.

Reaction Score
Really no need to guess. Hurley said he’s going for two more perimeter players (guards) that are ready to contribute this year, and then a couple more developmental types (won’t really play this year if we find them). There’s 5 scholarships so that still leaves room for Castle.
but the question is whether castle would be 1 of the 2 more Gs ready to contribute or a developmental piece. i think he would have to be one of the former, otherwise he'd be 3rd string which is the same situation floyd didn't want to be in.

aside from that yes it seems very clear. 2 immediate impact Gs (including castle), 2 developmental players, and 1 open scholly for a redshirt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Castle would step in and be able to play right away. He is that good. IF he does reclassify we would have a better top 8 than last year regardless if we get any more transfers. Karaban is underrated. His game is perfect for a 4 out offense. The kids can stroke if from 3 and has a high basketball IQ.

Reaction Score

To pa degree didn’t the Newton recruitment which I agree with caused at least one of departures.
Akok probably was advised to go to a program that would give him the 25-30 minutes needed , under less pressure , to get back to where he was with an eye to making money
He was in a situation similar to Carlton

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom