Reject D1 Football Playoff | The Boneyard

Reject D1 Football Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming that we end up with 4 "Super Conferences" with 16 teams in each. That leaves another 60 or so out in the cold. I think those remaining conferences should think outside the box and set up a playoff system.

1) I am a moderate college football fan that likes my team and others in the region. I have no interest in supporting bowls in general, but I will absolutely tune out if we are left with the 4 super conferences handing eachother the national championship and a bunch of crappy bowls picking up the leftovers.

2) Fans like playoffs and underdogs. Professional sports are generally better at making money than colleges. The one college spectacle that attracts attention from everyone, fan or not, os the basketball tournament. Even the baseball world series and hockey championship get good publicity.

3) Further evidence of (2) is that every major sport has expanded its playoffs over the years, not shrunk them.

4) I believe there will be enough good and popular football programs outside the big 4 to put together an intriguing playoff.

5) I think the bg 4 will regret shutting out the others. Most pro sports have realized that they are better off carrying some lesser programs to keep national interest (and stop competition). These moves may crush the mid-major football programs, but I think, in the long run, there will be less fans watching.

Reaction Score
Well said. I pretty much agree. By making the sport more exclusive they are cause people find other things to do.

College football in the east is already not that big of a deal, compared to Big 12 and SEC country. This sport's golden age is pretty much over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom