Regular Season Finale 2-1 Loss to SHU | The Boneyard

Regular Season Finale 2-1 Loss to SHU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2-1 loss to SHU in the season finale. Time for this team to head into the AHA post season tournament, and play consistently every game. This is the only thing that will get them into the NCAA tournament. If they continue this good game/bad game cycle it will be a quick exit and end to this season.

Reaction Score
With it looking like AFA will win, and their records identical, anyone know the tie-breaker? Head to head? Goal differential? Goals scored? I know our worse case is a 4 seed, and best case a 3 seed, just wondering the tie-breaker.

Reaction Score
Air Force will be the three and UConn the four seed. Looks like it will be UConn versus Robert Morris in the second round. Not an easy series at all.

Has any reporter asked or does anyone know why Cavanaugh has two goalies starting each weekend? You would think coming down the stretch and going into a playoff series that he would like a clear cut number one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With it looking like AFA will win, and their records identical, anyone know the tie-breaker? Head to head? Goal differential? Goals scored? I know our worse case is a 4 seed, and best case a 3 seed, just wondering the tie-breaker.

Tiebreakers used by Atlantic Hockey are:

1. Winning percentage head-to-head
2. Conference wins
3. Goal differential in head-to-head contests
4. Goals allowed in head-to-head contests (which seems to me to be redundant)
5. Winning percentage head-to-head against teams seeded 1 thru 12, starting with the No. 1 seed.
6. Goal differential in games against teams seeded 1 thru 12, starting with the No. 1 seed.

The Falcons hold the tiebreaker with Connecticut (we have to go to the fifth tiebreaker, winning percentage beginning with the top seed — UConn tied Mercyhurst twice while Air Force was 2-1 against the Lakers).

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2014/02/26/atl...verything-else-is-up-for-grabs/#ixzz2umJTXu9w

Reaction Score
Air Force will be the three and UConn the four seed. Looks like it will be UConn versus Robert Morris in the second round. Not an easy series at all.

Has any reporter asked or does anyone know why Cavanaugh has two goalies starting each weekend? You would think coming down the stretch and going into a playoff series that he would like a clear cut number one.

That is a great question i would of thought it was an easy decision especially the way Nichols has played this year compared to Grogan and Nichols beat SHU Friday night why not come back with him again on Saturday to finish off the season especially knowing there would be a two week rest period with the bye ? The way Cavanaugh has handled the goalies do you think it cost UConn winning the regular season AHA tile ? Has he given Grogan every oppurtunity to succeed and did it cost the teams wins ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The conference title? No. It is tough to say how much it has affected the team or if it has at all because we cannot see every game. I was at the Army game a couple weeks ago that Grogan started and he did allow a soft one in when UConn was up 2-0. That goal seemed to swing the momentum the other way. Even if that game ended in a tie it would have kept UConn from playing Robert Morris in the second round. I don't know if Cavanaugh feels like he owes it to Grogan to play him because he is a senior. Grogan has a below .500 record while Nichols has a much better goals against average and 8-1-2 record. I just feel as though having a consistent backstop in goal might have helped add a couple points to their season total. It'll be interesting to see who will be starting for game one against Robert Morris. It's going to be a difficult series to win no matter who is in goal though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
hockeyfan44 said:
That is a great question i would of thought it was an easy decision especially the way Nichols has played this year compared to Grogan and Nichols beat SHU Friday night why not come back with him again on Saturday to finish off the season especially knowing there would be a two week rest period with the bye ? The way Cavanaugh has handled the goalies do you think it cost UConn winning the regular season AHA tile ? Has he given Grogan every oppurtunity to succeed and did it cost the teams wins ?

I would say that this year in some respects is a dress rehearsal for HE. Playing AFA, SHU, and Robert Morris is a far cry from BU, BC, and UNH. He needs to see guys on the ice as much as possible while trying to win this season.

Reaction Score
The conference title? No. It is tough to say how much it has affected the team or if it has at all because we cannot see every game. I was at the Army game a couple weeks ago that Grogan started and he did allow a soft one in when UConn was up 2-0. That goal seemed to swing the momentum the other way. Even if that game ended in a tie it would have kept UConn from playing Robert Morris in the second round. I don't know if Cavanaugh feels like he owes it to Grogan to play him because he is a senior. Grogan has a below .500 record while Nichols has a much better goals against average and 8-1-2 record. I just feel as though having a consistent backstop in goal might have helped add a couple points to their season total. It'll be interesting to see who will be starting for game one against Robert Morris. It's going to be a difficult series to win no matter who is in goal though.
Hopefully Cavanaugh didnt feel like he had to play Grogan because he is a senior. That senior theory has not worked for him except with Latta (who is the only senior who has played well in meaningful games this year - extremely well i might add). The other seniors have been a huge disappointment in big/meaninful games.

Reaction Score
Grogan helped us last season. He did help beat #9 Providence, too. He earned his right to play in the last game of the season and possibly his college career.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Cavanaugh didnt feel like he had to play Grogan because he is a senior. That senior theory has not worked for him except with Latta (who is the only senior who has played well in meaningful games this year - extremely well i might add). The other seniors have been a huge disappointment in big/meaninful games.
I think that might be a bit harsh. they lost that game 2-1. You only score one you're losing most games. When you get shut out, or only score 1 it is usually tough to pin the loss on the goalie. From the radio broadcast, at least, it sounded like SHU played a much more physical game and UConn didn't really respond. Latta's comments in yesterday's paper also sounded a little like the Huskies were satisfied with getting a bye and came out a little flat on Saturday. As far as the other seniors, they are actually the 3 leading scorers, so its hard to make too much of a case that they are a disappointment. I think its pretty clear that Latta is the best of the 3, and that the quality of players who will be coming into the program should be better going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom