Register: Father of UConn women’s basketball star Paige Bueckers supports daughter through ‘peaks and valleys’ | The Boneyard

Register: Father of UConn women’s basketball star Paige Bueckers supports daughter through ‘peaks and valleys’

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pretty detailed article

Surprised by this quote a bit since it seems the family was a bit more on the periphery than I imagined,

“My biggest fear as a father is coming back too early,” Bob Bueckers said. “It’s really hard to tell a 20-year-old who thinks they’re invincible not to come back too early. ... I need to get a better grasp of what the plan is and understand what a realistic time frame is. To be honest with you, I really didn’t like the 6-8 weeks recovery time frame. That didn’t sit well with me.”

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Pretty detailed article

Surprised by this quote a bit since it seems the family was a bit more on the periphery than I imagined,

“My biggest fear as a father is coming back too early,” Bob Bueckers said. “It’s really hard to tell a 20-year-old who thinks they’re invincible not to come back too early. ... I need to get a better grasp of what the plan is and understand what a realistic time frame is. To be honest with you, I really didn’t like the 6-8 weeks recovery time frame. That didn’t sit well with me.”
I wonder if he is being updated by the medical and training staffs on Paige's rehab? I am guessing that he is 100% in the loop, so maybe his opinion will change as she gets closer to returning.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Pretty detailed article

Why be surprised. Regardless of age, a father is always a father as a mother is always a mother. Paige will always be his girl.

Your hopes and fears for your child don't end as they move on with the lives. We have sons from 37 to 41. Do we still worry about them? Of course. We're their parents.

We have one son, our youngest, who is in the Navy. We haven't seem him for 3.5 years. His station is a potential hot spot right now. You bet your ass we worry about him.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Why be surprised. Regardless of age, a father is always a father as a mother is always a mother. Paige will always be his girl.

Your hopes and fears for your child don't end as they move on with the lives. We have sons from 37 to 41. Do we still worry about them? Of course. We're their parents.

We have one son, our youngest, who is in the Navy. We haven't seem him for 3.5 years. His station is a potential hot spot right now. You bet your ass we worry about him.
My surprise was not his concern for his daughter which is of course understood but that he seemed to not be in the loop when they announced the first time table

Reaction Score
I wonder if he is being updated by the medical and training staffs on Paige's rehab? I am guessing that he is 100% in the loop, so maybe his opinion will change as she gets closer to returning.
Not sure about the rules regarding medical conditions/information. Isnt it the case that, since Paige is an adult, her medical condition/information is confidential unless she permits it to be given to anyone, including her parents? Of course, she may have given blanket assent to her parents being informed. But I dont think it is automatically released to anyone.
Anyone know more than I about such things?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
drweo: from my experience you are 100% correct. Unless Paige gives her approval her medical
info doesn't go to Dad/Mom/Geno/Azzi...anybody....not even Boneyarders!

February 6: LadyVol
February 9: Villanova
February 11: DePaul

Somewhere in that time frame? Be healthy when she does come back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This quote distills down what I think is the essence of Paige:

“People say things like, ‘She really handles herself well’ … She doesn’t have to handle herself. That’s just her.

This is the thing that makes her so engaging. She is so self-confident and self-assured that she’s unafraid of the big moment. Likewise, she’s incredibly individually engaging because she’s doesn’t second guess herself being worried about anyone else’s perception of her.

It’s Paige’s world and we’re all just living in it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno repeated the recovery timeline given to him by the team physicians. I understand why Paige's father didn't like the recovery timeline as he fears Paige and/or the staff may feel pressure to meet that timeline. I don't think that will happen, however. On Dec 1 Geno told the media that Azzi would be out 2 weeks minimum and the staff would then reassess. Some hoped Azzi would return in early January. It was 8 weeks before Azzi played again. In other words, the team will not rush Paige back if she's not physically ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz. Wake me when she is on the court or when people stop disguising hippa for the 98th millionth time. She will be back when she is back.

Reaction Score
interesting note by the father "There’s a difference between the bone healing and coming back and being ready to play. That, to me, is another 6-8 weeks." I think he is spot on with that assessment. He might not be a doctor, but he definitely seems to know about suffering injuries and what he has been told about how to heal them. If that timeline he suggests is correct she shouldn't be playing till the tournament starts and that's not the worst thing in the world.

Reaction Score

Many thanks to your son and prayers for his safe return home!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Not in an injury context, but the idea of parenting continuing beyond childhood, my wife and I went to a pro game with the parents of a player near the end of their child’s career that had involved one tough injury. The child, once a star, was no longer getting a lot of game time. Not going to name names or the sport. The father coached at the high school level. By the second half, the parents were yelling as loud as possible to put their (no longer a) kid into the game. I tried to keep a straight face. My oldest kid, a tenured college prof. turns 50 in a few weeks, his eldest starts college in the fall and I still think he needs me. Mr. Bueckers will be Paige’s daddy as long as he breathes.

Reaction Score

Prayers for your son’s safety and your peace of mind! One of our sons serves as well (not in a “Hot Spot”) but, as you say, you never stop worrying about your children! There is a touching scene in “Parenthood” that speaks to this. God bless you and yours!

Reaction Score

Please give your son my regards, and let him know that other BYers support and pray for him. We thank him for serving this country!

Reaction Score
Zzzzz Zzzzzz Zzzzzz. Wake me when she is on the court or when people stop disguising hippa for the 98th millionth time. She will be back when she is back.
Much ado about nothing. If she is not ready to return for the Tennessee game, then she can rest for another month and it won’t matter. The team without Paige runs the table in the BE. No urgency for her return.
Wise words! I would say wait (even if she’s cleared) til the last three games of the regular season before bringing her on! Whatever extra strength and healing she can pick up is well worth it. Especially as (with he exception of the Tennessee game, we will be favored in very game! The priorities are her health, her peace of mind (concerning her health), her family’s peace of mind, getting back in game shape, and finally, having some “tune up” games before the tournament!

Reaction Score
The initial estimate did not include surgery if I remember correctly. And then they decided surgery. It seems someone is making decisions based on considered decisions. If Paige isn't ready to play at all this year I'm fine with that. We all want the best for Paige. It's just a game folks.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If Paige is medically cleared to play, does anyone here actually believe that she will be happy sitting on the bench? I don't think wild horses could hold her back.

Reaction Score
This quote distills down what I think is the essence of Paige:

“People say things like, ‘She really handles herself well’ … She doesn’t have to handle herself. That’s just her.

This is the thing that makes her so engaging. She is so self-confident and self-assured that she’s unafraid of the big moment. Likewise, she’s incredibly individually engaging because she’s doesn’t second guess herself being worried about anyone else’s perception of her.

It’s Paige’s world and we’re all just living in it.

While her talent for basketball has led to her fame, she will get rich if she wants because her genuineness comes through in the media. Look at how the media has latched onto Payton Manning, Mr Wholesome, every mother's "aw shucks" son. Bueckers can be a fearless warrior or project a soft and gentle nature. She was the same person in high school, standing around after games signing things and posing for pictures and chatting with dozens of young girls and their parents.
She is loving life. I can't wait till she's back in the dance.

Reaction Score
The initial estimate did not include surgery if I remember correctly. And then they decided surgery. It seems someone is making decisions based on considered decisions. If Paige isn't ready to play at all this year I'm fine with that. We all want the best for Paige. It's just a game folks.
Actually the initial estimate was 6-8 weeks. Some of the confusion seems to be with the word fracture. Bueckers bruised her tibia. There was no fracture. The term covers everything from a bruise to a complete fracture of the tibial plateau and recoveries vary with the severity of the injury. Meniscus tears are repaired arthroscopically, and recovery time is short, especially if the patient is in top shape and the tear minor.
I don't think anyone wants her to return before she is healed. That decision is between her and her medical staff. I simply want that date to be as soon as possible and I'm tired of reading that hoping that to happen somehow makes me out as irresponsible and willing to risk her health.

Reaction Score
Not sure about the rules regarding medical conditions/information. Isnt it the case that, since Paige is an adult, her medical condition/information is confidential unless she permits it to be given to anyone, including her parents? Of course, she may have given blanket assent to her parents being informed. But I dont think it is automatically released to anyone.
Anyone know more than I about such things?
I assume she's a dependent and on her parents' insurance so hard to not have them in the loop on her medical situation. Although her parents are divorced, so it could be that only one parent is really in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom