Regional Sites to be Announced @ 2pm | The Boneyard

Regional Sites to be Announced @ 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA Selection committee will announce the regional sites for the 2014 tournament. Remember, schools will be allowed to host S16 and E8 games on their home floors. UConn didn't bid because it objects to this change.

Doug Feinberg@DougFeinberg 1h
NCAA women's regional bids are supposed to come out at 2pm today. From what I'm hearing there will be some unhappy people

Doug Feinberg@DougFeinberg
... and also there will be some happy people.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yum Center and Louisville is one per Jeff Walz.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think we're going back to the buy-a-championship days....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg@DougFeinberg 1m
Stanford, Louisville, Nebraska and Notre Dame chosen to host women's basketball regionals

Holy .....! So, will UConn be sent to Louisville or ND?

BTW, UConn will again host 1st and 2nd Rd games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn could be sent to any of the sites depending on how ND, Louisville, Stanford and Nebraska are seeded. If ND and Louisville are #1 seeds, then I guess UConn will be sent to Nebraska or Maples. If Louisville is not a #1 seed, then I bet UConn goes there.

There are a lot of unhappy coaches in Storrs, Knoxville, Durham, etc.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg@DougFeinberg 1m
Stanford, Louisville, Nebraska and Notre Dame chosen to host women's basketball regionals

Holy .....! So, will UConn be sent to Louisville or ND?

BTW, UConn will again host 1st and 2nd Rd games.

Can any of the top 4 seeds play at home?
I thought that was only for the Sub regionals.

So if Lousville or ND, or Stanford are a top seed can they play at home?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Can any of the top 4 seeds play at home?
I thought that was only for the Sub regionals.

So if Lousville or ND, or Stanford are a top seed can they play at home?

Yes, they can play at home and will play at home regardless of seeding. That's the point.

Reaction Score
Now this is something to be worried about. I am furious over this.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Does that make South Bend, IN the East Regional?

I think they're dropping the geographic labels. My guess it will be South Bend Regional, etc.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Now this is something to be worried about. I am furious over this.

Many schools should be furious over this.

If UConn is the overall #1 seed, will it be sent to the site where the host is the lowest seed (e.g, Nebraska)?

Reaction Score
Many schools should be furious over this.

If UConn is the overall #1 seed, will it be sent to the site where the host is the lowest seed (e.g, Nebraska)?

I would take going to Lincoln and facing Nebraska in a heartbeat. But it's a near certainty we face ND in South Bend with a Final 4 on the line.

Reaction Score
I would be THRILLED to end up in the Nebraska regional. Could combine a trip to the regional with a visit to my dad and sister. Of course, I would be housed in enemy territory. Stanford would be fine too, could visit my youngest boy. Wonder if he would let me crash on his couch? Hotels are mighty expensive out there!

Louisville and ND...think I will pass. If I am going to go somewhere in March with the possibility of snow, at least Nebraska I would be among family.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would take going to Lincoln and facing Nebraska in a heartbeat. But it's a near certainty we face ND in South Bend with a Final 4 on the line.

Why a near certainty? That's saying there is nothing to be gained by being the overall #1 seed.

Reaction Score
With UConn and Louisville in the same conference this year, I'm going to doubt they will be placed in the same regional. I think ND is a distinct possibility.

Reaction Score
Also note: UConn is slightly closer to ND than it is to Lou. So if the committee goes hard and fast by the "closest geography" rule, an ND trip would be more likely.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With UConn and Louisville in the same conference this year, I'm going to doubt they will be placed in the same regional. I think ND is a distinct possibility.

Why do you think ND is a possibility?

Reaction Score
Why do you think ND is a possibility?

All it takes is for UConn and ND to be on different seed lines, and ND immediately becomes the most likely place: the teams are not in the same conference, and it is the closest to UConn.

Nor is it a stretch to think that ND could end up as #2: it certainly is conceivable that Duke (or even MD) win the ACC. Tossup whether a 2nd ACC team gets another #1.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
All it takes is for UConn and ND to be on different seed lines, and ND immediately becomes the most likely place: the teams are not in the same conference, and it is the closest to UConn.

Nor is it a stretch to think that ND could end up as #2: it certainly is conceivable that Duke (or even MD) win the ACC. Tossup whether a 2nd ACC team gets another #1.

If ND is a #2 or #3 seed and UConn a #1, I don't agree that UConn will necessarily go to South Bend, particularly if UConn is the overall #1 seed. I just don't see the committee rewarding the overall #1 seed with a trip to South Bend to play ND. The selection of these particular sites and the fact that teams like Duke and UConn and their fans are going to be getting on a plane in any event tells me that geography is less important. Once you're talking about >800 miles, does it matter if it's South Bend or Lincoln? I'm sure UConn and its fans would be willing to suck it up and stay in the air for 2 more hours. Plus, if UConn is a #1 and ND is a #2 I don't see the committee setting up a scenario where only one of those popular teams (TV ratings) makes it to the FF.

One thing is certain, seeding and assigning teams to regional sites is going to be a nightmare.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno spoke out against teams hosting Regionals and UConn was not going to host a Regional under any circumstances. Thought it would make it to difficult for lower seeded teams to come into Storrs and beat them. Not good for the Sport. Guess we can see which teams had no problems and could care less about what's good for the Sport.

Will be interesting to see how they distribute the tickets, will the home team get 90% of the tickets. If Stanford and Nebraska are eliminated before the regionals, can't see their fans supporting it.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This is b.s. This is precisely what Geno was talking about. Still, if that's the way they're going to play the game you have to question Uconn's decision to pass on bidding. They may come to regret it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can understand opposing it, but having lost the battle, I would just as soon make my point by hosting and being dominant... and again saying "this stinks for the game."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom