Regional Sites announced for 2021, 2022 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Regional Sites announced for 2021, 2022

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't think ESPN would like having all games in the Pacific time zone.

Do we know that for sure? Maybe not. But if so, that is a logistical problem that can be resolved. Given the 3 hour time difference between the east and west coast, for the first two days, start the first games at 10:30 am (1:30 est) then every 2 hours after that. The last game would start at 5:30/8:30. Two floors means the games are simultaneously. If your team's game starts at 8:30 pm est, that's not unreasonable.

Another cure for that problem is to have all east and south regional teams play first (earlier in the day) to offset the time difference. Teams in the mid-west and western regions can play in the later start times.

The last 2 days, the games could start at 12:30/3:30 and 3:30/6:30. An additional venue could be used to enable more games to be played simultaneously, but that would probably hurt attendance because of the inconvenience of traveling back and forth between sites. Every coach and every player would get to see every other sweet 16 team play in person if they chose to.

To pull this off, ESPN may have to work with the ncaa just a bit. Since it's never going to happen, what do you suggest?

ESPN would save a ton of money because of the need of only one crew of technicians to set up and monitor their broadcasting equipment. Instead of having 4 crews at 4 different venues. They would save salaries, hotel accommodations, meals and gas.

This is not my brain child, but I would like to see them try it. If it doesn't work, go back to the way it is now, games at sites with low attendance that don't show s profit. You can't please everyone.

There will be those that will not come because they feel it's too far, but then there are those that have never been to a regional game that would attend this weekend event. For the real wcbb fan, this would be Nirvana .

Last edited by a moderator:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the criteria is but I think it's important to consider placing them in a large, metro area where travel is easier for the fans to get there. Greenville, SC is actually a very nice little town and has grown considerably in the last decade. However the air travel there would be problematic for fans who aren't in the Georgia/Carolinas areas. I also feel that way about Greensboro.

I think you sell the size of Greensboro a little short. Greensboro has around 290,000 people. 1.5 million within a 25 mile radius.. 2 million within 50 miles... 4.4 million in a 75 mile radius.

In terms of flying in and out... Most of the major cities east of the Mississippi are a direct flight away.. .. plus Dallas has direct flights as well. . Charlotte's huge hub is 85 miles away... Raleigh's Airport is 60 miles.

So basically I'm saying ... When it comes to placing regionals in the Southeast . . You can do a whole lot worse than Greensboro .... Of course no bias on my part. :cool::p:D:(:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think you sell the size of Greensboro a little short. Greensboro has around 290,000 people. 1.5 million within a 25 mile radius.. 2 million within 50 miles... 4.4 million in a 75 mile radius.

In terms of flying in and out... Most of the major cities east of the Mississippi are a direct flight away.. .. plus Dallas has direct flights as well. . Charlotte's huge hub is 85 miles away... Raleigh's Airport is 60 miles.

So basically I'm saying ... When it comes to placing regionals in the Southeast . . You can do a whole lot worse than Greensboro .... Of course no bias on my part. :cool::p:D:(:rolleyes:

lol. I know, trust me I am a former Greensboro resident (off Battleground avenue) and was living there when Duke beat the LVs in 1999. It's a great town and maybe they've added more direct routes since I left in 2003. The coliseum is nice though and the town had such a terrific atmosphere when the ACC tournament was being played.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
lol. I know, trust me I am a former Greensboro resident (off Battleground avenue) and was living there when Duke beat the LVs in 1999. It's a great town and maybe they've added more direct routes since I left in 2003. The coliseum is nice though and the town had such a terrific atmosphere when the ACC tournament was being played.

2003? You wouldn't recognize the city now :D. The coliseum underwent renovations a few years ago... Gone are those hard green plastic seats . Replaced with wider cushioned blue seats... Huge new center court HD scoreboard ... Concessions.. Lounges... Etc.

One complaint about Greensboro that I can see is that it's not a place u can land at the airport... Get a cab to your hotel and walk to the arena. You definitely have to rent a car to get around.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know Stockton wasn’t that great two years ago.

Point taken. I've been to Stockton many many many times to attend University of the Pacific men's basketball games in the early 90's. It wasn't that bad then. I went back 3 years ago for a campus visit, as my granddaughter was scouting colleges to possibly attend. Boy has it changed. It looks run down, and was in serious financial trouble, teetering on bankruptcy. I'm not sure they get another bid to host anymore regionals. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom