Regardless of what happens this weekend, Hurley is a UConn legend for life | The Boneyard

Regardless of what happens this weekend, Hurley is a UConn legend for life

Reaction Score
This season has been so much fun to follow our guys. From the total unselfishness to the adaptability, this is probably the most complete team in the program's history, and they've of course got the talent to match. Think too, this is only (hear me out on the only, I'm sure y'all know where I'm going but I'll get there) Hurley's 6th season, and considering the absolute dumpster fire we were at under Ollie, for him to pull us this far in the other direction in such a short time comparatively, I'll always be so grateful for him for treating us to the last couple seasons (and hopefully a lot more to come) we've gotten.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see any and all acknowledgments of what's already been accomplished, not to mention an appreciation of the recognition and praise that is being heaped upon our coach, our players and our program at this very moment

This as opposed to the "nothing matters but the next natty" fixation.

It's been said in various ways:

"You can look ahead to happiness, and you can look behind to it, but it's so hard to notice it to your left or right."

"The key to happiness is the ability to recognize it while in progress."

Reaction Score
Growing up in CT during the Perno years, the level of success this program has achieved since the mid 90's is completely unfathomable. As Natalie Merchant sang....'these are days, to remember'

Reaction Score
This was a program quickly trending mid-major in the AAC.

Hurley's fingerprint's are 10000% all over this rebrand, return to the Big East, rebuild, and potentially the most successful era of Husky basketball ever.

On top of that, Hurley has shown a deference to UConn, it's history, and the importance of making history at UConn...and how hard it is to do that. Not many coaches understand that like Dan does.

If. IF. This team can win 2 more games in the next week, this would be the greatest team in UConn history, the greatest 2 year run in program history (arguably basketball history), and would open up debates to the greatest era of UConn history.

This isn't like Ollie getting the run out from Calhoun to win one more title, this is blood sweat and tears to completely build this program back to glory and beyond. The Carpenter!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Beat Bama first then let's see if we get screwed in the final by the officiating.

Ollie was literally the second coming of JC at one time.

Hurley is the perfect fit for UConn right now. Let's just enjoy the run while it lasts.

Reaction Score
My favorite thing about him is the compliments he throws at everyone around him. Very proud of his coaches and players, UConn history (and past coaches/players), the Big East, (most) other team's coaches, etc. He very much wants to lift the profile of the league and the Program...

Reaction Score
Danny's smart. He knows the predicament the BE and a public school like UConn is in - in this new era of NIL/Portal basketball. Hes trying stay ahead of the wave.

Reaction Score
This season has been so much fun to follow our guys. From the total unselfishness to the adaptability, this is probably the most complete team in the program's history, and they've of course got the talent to match. Think too, this is only (hear me out on the only, I'm sure y'all know where I'm going but I'll get there) Hurley's 6th season, and considering the absolute dumpster fire we were at under Ollie, for him to pull us this far in the other direction in such a short time comparatively, I'll always be so grateful for him for treating us to the last couple seasons (and hopefully a lot more to come) we've gotten.

You better get us now…

Reaction Score
Beat Bama first then let's see if we get screwed in the final by the officiating.

Ollie was literally the second coming of JC at one time.

Hurley is the perfect fit for UConn right now. Let's just enjoy the run while it lasts.

Ollie was literally the second coming of Calhoun because it was Calhoun's players, and hell Boat even said not that long ago that it wasn't him but SHABAZZ doing the coaching of that team.

Danny's doing this with all his own players.

Reaction Score
Ollie was literally the second coming of Calhoun because it was Calhoun's players, and hell Boat even said not that long ago that it wasn't him but SHABAZZ doing the coaching of that team.

Danny's doing this with all his own players.
Ollie coached a couple of phenomenal seasons. He rallied the troops in year one and coached the NCAA tourney as well as anyone could in year two, pulling every string at just the right time.

The “Calhoun players” were considered completely subpar and were used as evidence that it was time for JC to retire by many. KO personally recruited many of those players. KO deserves the credit for that title. He also deserves the blame for what followed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
KO deserves the credit for that title.
This.
He also deserves the blame for what followed.
And this.

I cannot understand why so many people have to think in absolutes. Yes, KO stopped recruiting, stopped coaching, basically stopped caring about the product that he had full rsponsibility for. That doesn't mean that for every second he worked here as a coach this was the case.

Did we have a coach on the floor many different times during our better seasons (teams designed to have a veteran PG as our leader, especially in critical game moments)? Yes. This was an advantage by design, and it wasn't exclusive to that one team. If one is being intellectually honest, they would need to accept that our comeback in the first half against Villanova happened with Bazz on the bench with two fouls.

There is more than enough to criticize KO on for his time here as a head coach but the first two seasons that he was in charge should not be criticized. He had his finger on the pulse of the 2014 tournament team better than any coach I had seen, was able to motivate the team and get them to have enough confidence in themselves to bring home the title.

If you want to blast KO for basically mailing it in (possibly putting in effort even less than that) his last few years, please do, but you may have to get in line behind me as I've thrown a lot of criticism his way and on occasion will continue. That doesn't mean that everything he did here was bad.

Reaction Score
This was a program quickly trending mid-major in the AAC.

Hurley's fingerprint's are 10000% all over this rebrand, return to the Big East, rebuild, and potentially the most successful era of Husky basketball ever.

On top of that, Hurley has shown a deference to UConn, it's history, and the importance of making history at UConn...and how hard it is to do that. Not many coaches understand that like Dan does.

If. IF. This team can win 2 more games in the next week, this would be the greatest team in UConn history, the greatest 2 year run in program history (arguably basketball history), and would open up debates to the greatest era of UConn history.

This isn't like Ollie getting the run out from Calhoun to win one more title, this is blood sweat and tears to completely build this program back to glory and beyond. The Carpenter!
Already the greatest 2 year run in program history

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom