Regarding bubble "discrepancies" - except this only affects the women | The Boneyard

Regarding bubble "discrepancies" - except this only affects the women

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It turns out that children (including children that a coach is nursing) - count against the teams allotment of allowed folks in the "bubble".

It has reportedly forced Assistants to choose between children and job (because they are afraid to ask the school to give up a member of the school's official traveling party) and generally increased stress. One (but not the only) voices on this matter has been Arizona coach Adia Barnes.

The article specifically pointed out that children did not "count" in the WNBA bubble, in fact, the WNBA, through its agreement with the players union, actually highlighted athletes with children and provided nursery facilities, etc.

The NCAA, which has come out with articles praising and encouraging coaches that they can have a family and coach as well - not so much.

The article I read was behind a paywall in the Athletic, perhaps someone else could link something about this.

Just another example of NCAA short-sightedness on the women's side.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Comparing to the WNBA is a bit of a stretch since they were in the bubble environment a lot longer than 3 weeks. I saw something about nursing babies and that would seem to certainly be an issue. But in general, I am not sure how many business send family on business trips which can also last weeks and presumably coaches with kids of either sex already have options in place for care when the travel.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Comparing to the WNBA is a bit of a stretch since they were in the bubble environment a lot longer than 3 weeks. I saw something about nursing babies and that would seem to certainly be an issue. But in general, I am not sure how many business send family on business trips which can also last weeks and presumably coaches with kids of either sex already have options in place for care when the travel.
I'm sure it only affects a limited number of the approximately 250 coaches there. I don't think the NCAA needs to provide for childcare / children in general. But for those with very young children - facing between 1 and 2 "bubble" weeks - I don't think they should count against a team's travel contingent. I just don't.

The comparison to the "W" was most appropriate in regards to the planning aspect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom