Refs | The Boneyard

Refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just the fact that there aren't 20 threads about all the bad calls, says a well officiated game. No ?

Reaction Score
Think so.
We'll have Dee for the big one, eh?

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
No ! We are just saving up for the championship game. Check back.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I said during the game thread that the officiating was decent. Tuesday night I expect Dee, Denise Brooks, and Bruce Enterline.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I only remember a couple calls that might have gone the other way. One for UCONN, one against. So, yea, seemed like a pretty good game by the refs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I only remember a couple calls that might have gone the other way. One for UCONN, one against. So, yea, seemed like a pretty good game by the refs.
They did miss a travel when a player changed her pivot foot.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually thought both games were well called in that the usual phantom calls disappeared and a lot of incidental contact was allowed that does not have an effect on the play but that some refs feel the need to call.
That said, I think MD was not getting an equal share of the fifty fifty calls and the one glaring blown call was on Thomas' first 'charge' that was clearly a blocking foul. But ... given that MD pretty much didn't show up for the game, was lazy in defensive stance and effort (leading to more reaching and bumping) they don't have anything to complain about.
In the Uconn game - they probably could have called a few more fouls and Uconn might have benefitted, but the small disparity had more to do with jump shooters vs driving/aggressive offense. The disparity on foul shots was clearly a result of Uconn committing floor fouls and Stanford committing shooting fouls - but the fact neither team got to the bonus until late in the second half was a pleasure!

Reaction Score
My question is still, why are the wcbb officials having such a hard time making the charge calls correctly? To me, after replays, about 40 % of these assumed charging calls are really blocking fouls with either one of the feet still moving , or the defenders upper body moving either toward or away from the offensive player. Unless something has changed:

1) The defensive player must establish position before the offensive player leaves their feet. Establishing position means feet must not be moving. And once that position is established, the defensive player cannot try again to change position. Meaning the feet and / or upper body cannot move.
2) The defensive player must not be in the " circle " under the basket.

Reaction Score
My question is still, why are the wcbb officials having such a hard time making the charge calls correctly? To me, after replays, about 40 % of these assumed charging calls are really blocking fouls with either one of the feet still moving , or the defenders upper body moving either toward or away from the offensive player. Unless something has changed:

1) The defensive player must establish position before the offensive player leaves their feet. Establishing position means feet must not be moving. And once that position is established, the defensive player cannot try again to change position. Meaning the feet and / or upper body cannot move.

What's your feeling on the calls as they happen? Because you are looking at it on replay and, right or wrong, the refs seldom have the same angle as the camera. CBB (men's or women's) officials in general have trouble with this call; they will tell you it's the toughest one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They did miss a travel when a player changed her pivot foot.
I was thinking of a couple charging/blocking fouls. Now that you mention it though there did seem like a couple times players moved quite a bit after they caught the ball. Just figured my eyes were going screwy.

Reaction Score
What's your feeling on the calls as they happen? Because you are looking at it on replay and, right or wrong, the refs seldom have the same angle as the camera. CBB (men's or women's) officials in general have trouble with this call; they will tell you it's the toughest one.

Most look like bad calls to me even before the replay. But then again my eyes have been trained to coach body movements in another sport. I would think that someone reffing at this stage of the game would have better trained eyes also. The first charging call in the ND / Maryland game last night was rediculously simple to make . The defenders left leg was still sliding into position on contact . At least Doris finally made a definitive statement about it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I do not believe that is true. (highlighted in red)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, it isn't, Biff. A player is, also entitled to the line they are on while moving providing they have occupied that line prior to the offensive player. The offensive player is not entitled to cut across that line by changing their direction to create contact. The players feet do not have to be static.

Reaction Score
Can any of you explain (in hopefully clear English) the distinction between a block and a charge? I just don't seem to get the nuances.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
No, it isn't, Biff. A player is, also entitled to the line they are on while moving providing they have occupied that line prior to the offensive player. The offensive player is not entitled to cut across that line by changing their direction to create contact. The players feet do not have to be static.

And if neither changes their line? What's the basis for any call then?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And if neither changes their line? What's the basis for any call then?
Whoever acquires the space first without changing their line.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Whoever acquires the space first without changing their line.
No such distinction is possible if they both run in a straight line.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No such distinction is possible if they both run in a straight line.
Sure there is because there is timing involved. When the timing is identical it falls to the officials judgment. All things being equal a no call may be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom