Refs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Refs

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
replay is up. 17 secs to go, Hightower about to shoot fts for the '5 step walk' which, of course, somehow ended up as a foul on whaley. lots of funny stuff on that play. down goes Gaffney! (not really, but at least he's learned the head snap move. lol.)
Hahah. Another good one was when Gaffney barreled into the lane and dished it to Whaley for the assist. Taking out his man and I think Vital in the process.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
B10 has the best refs by far. Every conference after the P5 + Big East gets the same quality from what I can tell.

Reaction Score
I thought the game against Houston was one of the best called games of the year and then the conference laid this steaming pile. Yikes.
Is that because we outshot them at the line like 33-10? lol

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They do not show many replays for a reason on foul/travel calls.

that’s most leagues.
The NCAA is coming too close to the nba in terms of traveling

Reaction Score
that’s most leagues.
The NCAA is coming too close to the nba in terms of traveling
Players travel all the time. Shuffle their feet. When they catch the ball when they are running it's as if the first two steps don't count. They travel so often I wonder if they changed the rule without telling anyone. Like the tiny strike zone

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
B10 has the best refs by far. Every conference after the P5 + Big East gets the same quality from what I can tell.

Most leagues share refs. Ours are shared with the SEC and ACC. It’s the inconsistency from crew to crew that sucks the most.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s the inconsistency and scope of calls. Barely contact on the perimeter and slight motion setting a screen always draw a whistle while if you drive and get mauled its 50/50 if they call a foul

Reaction Score
College refs, especially in the American Conference:
1. Player pump fakes and drives= travel
2. Defender jumps in front of someone taking it to the hoop=charge
3. Player sets a ball screen and there is contact= illegal screen/foul
4. Home crowd boos a crappy call= makeup call next possession
5. Talented player stays in game with 2 or 3 fouls= touch foul will be called on him next possession
6. Young player makes a great play and shows excitement= touch foul called on him next possession.
7. One player pushes another player = double technical (which gives each player a personal foul as well)
8. One team is fouling more than the other team= start calling random fouls on the team who isn’t fouling to even up the number of fouls.
9. 1:30 minutes without a whistle= call something/anything to stop the flow.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
CV gets pass, dribbles once takes one side step to right, pops a three and as soon as ball goes through hoop, ref calls a walk. Horrible call. Refs consistently bad all season.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
5. Talented player stays in game with 2 or 3 fouls= touch foul will be called on him next possession
6. Young player makes a great play and shows excitement= touch foul called on him next possession.
7. One player pushes another player = double technical (which gives each player a personal foul as well)
8. One team is fouling more than the other team= start calling random fouls on the team who isn’t fouling to even up the number of fouls.
#8 is always the case and so shady. Always seems to happen at the beginning of the second half in our games. Ref convo at the half: “Crap guys, we called 10 fouls on UConn and only 3 on the other team. We gotta get UConn in the bonus early so it’s not suspicious but then make terrible calls against them down the stretch so they still lose.”

Reaction Score
Is that because we outshot them at the line like 33-10? lol
Probably helped but I went back and re-watched the game with an express interest in that disparity. Once you take away the 8 free throws from CV at the end and realize that Houston basically exclusively settled for jumpers and was very undisciplined on their interior defense, it explains the differential. There were a handful of bad calls and no-calls that were evenly distributed but it was a very well-called game. There were very few calls that I thought were iffy of controversial.

the Q

Reaction Score
Players travel all the time. Shuffle their feet. When they catch the ball when they are running it's as if the first two steps don't count. They travel so often I wonder if they changed the rule without telling anyone. Like the tiny strike zone

To the nbas credit they did change it, for lebron. Cause he was blatantly traveling with his crab dribble sense.

Even the ESPN article about it when it came out said the nba was now the only league that allowed 2 complete step.

no one cares what the rules actually say

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Probably helped but I went back and re-watched the game with an express interest in that disparity. Once you take away the 8 free throws from CV at the end and realize that Houston basically exclusively settled for jumpers and was very undisciplined on their interior defense, it explains the differential. There were a handful of bad calls and no-calls that were evenly distributed but it was a very well-called game. There were very few calls that I thought were iffy of controversial.

I agree with this, but I wish people would understand this reasoning when we get outshot by a significant amount at the line.

(Not directed at you, just a general point)

Reaction Score
How about the held ball call at 14:52 in 2nd half on Vital where the guy grabbed his arm as he drove? I had to watch that about 5 times to finally figure out it was a held ball call and possession went to Tulane. It didn't help that the announcers were talking about the freakin' Brady Bunch during that play. lol

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
How about the held ball call at 14:52 in 2nd half on Vital where the guy grabbed his arm as he drove? I had to watch that about 5 times to finally figure out it was a held ball call and possession went to Tulane. It didn't help that the announcers were talking about the freakin' Brady Bunch during that play. lol

I was really confused by that graphic and entire conversation. They showed another graphic that said that in addition to the 8 transfers and 5 freshman, Tulane had 4 returning players. How many people are on their roster?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

#3. So many of the bigs don't know how to set a screen properly and move their hips or shoulders and deserve the foul called on them. It's literally the most basic thing to do. Just stand there and not move. It's the responsibility of the guard/wing to make the hip to hip contact with the screener and prevent the defender from squeezing through. And most of the time the guards aren't good with that.
#7. Correct. The anti-participation trophy call. Rather than having to make a decision over who deserves the T, call it on both sides. Similar to baseball where one team plunks a batter and both teams get warned.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but I wish people would understand this reasoning when we get outshot by a significant amount at the line.

(Not directed at you, just a general point)
Agreed, that was a staple during the JC years where we’d have positive FT differentials because his teams took it to the paint so consistently. And I have to say, the bigs on this team have gotten so much better at going straight up on defense recently than they were at the beginning of the season. Night and day. Houston, despite having a pretty big team, was very undisciplined there and committed some really stupid fouls in the paint.

the Q

Reaction Score
#3. So many of the bigs don't know how to set a screen properly and move their hips or shoulders and deserve the foul called on them. It's literally the most basic thing to do. Just stand there and not move. It's the responsibility of the guard/wing to make the hip to hip contact with the screener and prevent the defender from squeezing through. And most of the time the guards aren't good with that.
#7. Correct. The anti-participation trophy call. Rather than having to make a decision over who deserves the T, call it on both sides. Similar to baseball where one team plunks a batter and both teams get warned.

no question that there could easily be more illegal screens called.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom