Refs completely dictated the first 30 minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Refs completely dictated the first 30 minutes

Reaction Score
Not sure what board you were posting on back then.
My memory ain't what it once was. Also I hate losing and I just like to point to the team (and opposing team) as the reason, particularly when the games aren't that close.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Don’t give me the “refs reward aggression” trope. A big reason we got out rebounded was that we couldn’t aggressively go for a board without getting called for a foul. The game was sealed with about 3 min left when we had it at 7 and Vital got clocked on a layup and Diarra got absolutely murdered going up for a dunk off the rebound and then Battle gets the phantom call on the other end.

Reaction Score
And we Outplayed them since then so...cool?
This narrative is ridiculous. The team in Orange was the better team, hands down, the entire game. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful. We could have recruited 3 guys from the UConn student union to ref this game and it would not have made a DAMN bit of difference

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we had a shaky start, Anderson obviously had stage freight

3 weak turnovers and an airball in the first 4 or 5 minutes (and he was not alone)

but they settled down and played better, especially in the 2nd half

and the next time Anderson finds himself in a similar situation, he'll handle it better

the team is growing

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
the team is growing
25cb6bfdd085861c5bb88bf20591b025--delusional-quotes-over-thinking.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, not on the refs. We have no one inside to stop their parade of layups. Foul calls are incidental to those drives.

Although I do think that ref who called Cobb's 5th foul as UConn was about to take it down to 6 with 8 minutes left was shady as hell.

Cobb did breathe on that guy...completely away from the play. Gotta call that. :rolleyes:

pj

Reaction Score
I disagree. Jalen was highly recruited and was ranked right with Briscoe. He has not developed his game. I blame the Coaches because he has found some bad habits and is allowed to keep them. He's a kid and seems to be the type of kid that needs to be managed sternly. He is green lighted without any corrective action that I can see. Why Ollie an NBA PG has not developed him is astounding. He's the best recruit Ollie has ever gotten and he's marginally better than his freshman year.

This is my view. The head coach can't let players make the same mistakes over and over again without consequences. Telling them what they need to do is not a consequence.

pj

Reaction Score
we had a shaky start, Anderson obviously had stage freight

3 weak turnovers and an airball in the first 4 or 5 minutes (and he was not alone)

but they settled down and played better, especially in the 2nd half

and the next time Anderson finds himself in a similar situation, he'll handle it better

the team is growing

This is also true. It's not surprising a young team might struggle first game in MSG and on national TV, and how many times have we seen teams have problems first sight of Syracuse's zone? They came back and played better late, but you can't judge a comeback too much when it comes late in the game down 17. All we know for sure is they have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
The refs were worse in the Nova/Gonzaga game.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Just stop with the refs already. It's not the refs.

Reaction Score
One of my least favorite calls was the kicked ball that a ref behind the play called. The ref who was 7 feet away facing the front of the play saw it and didn't call anything, he saw it as an Antoine steal. Cobb's fouls where he stripped the ball from a guy dribbling up the floor was weak too. I enjoyed on the replay, Dicky V saying "he gets all ball but you're not gonna get away with that one!!" get away with what, if it was all ball?
Then there was a set of plays where Larrier drove in too deep "oh he went in too deep with nowhere to go" and on the other end a Cuse guy did the same thing "drove right into Cobb there, good play" and he got the foul call.

I agree it didn't decide the game, and it didn't feel like the refs were out to get us, but there were a handful of awful calls that seemed to go the other way. If Diarra hit a few FTs, if Larrier was a little better with the ball, if Jalen didn't throw up that awful forced alley oop attempt when we had a chance to pull closer, all of those lazy passes in the first half...

in the end I thought we'd be embarrassed by another 30 pt loss, so I'm happy we got it down to 9, but a disappointing effort

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
This is also true. It's not surprising a young team might struggle first game in MSG and on national TV, and how many times have we seen teams have problems first sight of Syracuse's zone? They came back and played better late, but you can't judge a comeback too much when it comes late in the game down 17. All we know for sure is they have a long way to go.

Weren't Moyer/Brissett young too?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom