Refs and Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Refs and Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If we had 5 Millers we would probably be undefeated.

Miller is human, and I suspect getting frustrated with the long range bombers and the inability to feed the post. If you want to keep the big man engaged then get him the ball.

He must feel ignored and if so would explain some of why he seems aloof. In other words I can't blame him.

Listen
I'm not blaming him for this loss or any of the others
I said - when he is active he is a force
He does tend to stand around on offense and it takes him out of the play
People say he should be getting the ball more and I do agree BUT its hard to get the ball to someone when they aren't looking for it
I also feel that he doesn't rebound enough for a guy his size.
I attend all the home games and I do isolate on him a lot because I don't see why he doesn't touch the ball more and I see him not be aggressive enough and have heard KO say it a lot to him.

My post may be idiotic to some - so be it - it doesn't bother me one bit
A lot of people have blinders and see only what they want to see
I've been watching this game for a long long time and have coached so I stand by my observations

Miller is very good when he wants it

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's been our best player all season, maybe you should sit this one out.

After reading your crap on the chat room - you crack me up

Reaction Score
Listen
I'm not blaming him for this loss or any of the others
I said - when he is active he is a force
He does tend to stand around on offense and it takes him out of the play
People say he should be getting the ball more and I do agree BUT its hard to get the ball to someone when they aren't looking for it
I also feel that he doesn't rebound enough for a guy his size.
I attend all the home games and I do isolate on him a lot because I don't see why he doesn't touch the ball more and I see him not be aggressive enough and have heard KO say it a lot to him.

My post may be idiotic to some - so be it - it doesn't bother me one bit
A lot of people have blinders and see only what they want to see
I've been watching this game for a long long time and have coached so I stand by my observations

Miller is very good when he wants it
Then that's coaching. He therefore must be allowed to do it. I'm being sarcastic somewhat but when the staff watches the films why don't they address it, then sit him if he continues?

I wonder how lessons are taught and learned, outside of Jalen's trail and sentence.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Then that's coaching. He therefore must be allowed to do it. I'm being sarcastic somewhat but when the staff watches the films why don't they address it, then sit him if he continues?

I wonder how lessons are taught and learned, outside of Jalen's trail and sentence.

I agree with you on that to some extent - thanks for the reply

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Cincy bigs could do literally ANYTHING they wanted today. Stay in the point for the entire possession, clobber shooters, murder rebounders, goaltend, shuffle their feet on every post move. Even when we got it 3 you just knew there'd be momentum shifting call. For example, Cincy player steps on the half court stripe and ends up hitting a 3.

Obviously we have to execute but we were 8 vs 5 today.
Cinci made the big shots they needed but like you said they go over the back for rebounds, goaltend, back heel lands on mid court stripe, foul underneath and to watch just about everything go uncalled is frustrating. Cinci played desperate and won. Countered every run with a big 3, did UConn give up though no.

Reaction Score
I think "working the officials" is a wildly overrated fan construction. Generally, the home team gets the calls.

Why would the home team get the calls unless refs are influenced by outside pressure / reactions to their calls?

And if you agree refs ARE influenced by those things, how can you not believe in working the refs?

Reaction Score
I think "working the officials" is a wildly overrated fan construction. Generally, the home team gets the calls.

Except when UConn is the home team.

Honestly, the Temple and Cincy losses at home happened along with some special refereeing.

Reaction Score
Why would the home team get the calls unless refs are influenced by outside pressure / reactions to their calls?

And if you agree refs ARE influenced by those things, how can you not believe in working the refs?

I think the calls tend to go towards the tenured/respected/acclaimed coaches rather than the ones who scream the loudest.

Reaction Score
I don't normally like blaming the refs but we've gotten a bad whistle the whole season and this is the breaking point. I can't understand how Ollie let's us get bent over game after game. Storm the damn court, get in a refs face, do something. The whistle has gotten so bad that it seems almost impossible for us to win a close game, it's hard to watch. Cronin gets a million times more respect from the stripes than Ollie does, it's painful.

that is because Emmert is testing our mettle.

Reaction Score
The other side of the coin is that dumb fouls have been a hallmark of this team. God knows where we'd be without Miller but the kid has been in foul trouble since the Bahamas. That doesn't seem like it's going to change. It might be the case that the highest profile program in this terrible league is continually victimized by the officials in favor of teams like Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa but that would seem counterintuitive.

Reaction Score
The other side of the coin is that dumb fouls have been a hallmark of this team. God knows where we'd be without Miller but the kid has been in foul trouble since the Bahamas. That doesn't seem like it's going to change. It might be the case that the highest profile program in this terrible league is continually victimized by the officials in favor of teams like Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa but that would seem counterintuitive.

Fouls to Miller and Brimah have crippled us all season. I think we win that game if those guys play 30 minutes instead of 20.

Reaction Score
Or another case of "Calhoun spoiled us because he was so goshdarn good at it".
With that said then we are being unfair and/or unrealistic. Calhoun is in the HOF and way above and beyond his successor.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
With that said then we are being unfair and/or unrealistic. Calhoun is in the HOF and way above and beyond his successor.

That's a long thread for another day, my friend.

Reaction Score
Or another case of "Calhoun spoiled us because he was so goshdarn good at it".

That is certainly true -- JC was one of the best.

But KO is being outworked in this regard by guys who will never sniff the Hall of Fame. We're not expecting him on the level of a JC or Coach K, or even a Pitino, but let's not constantly get shown up by the likes of Mick Cronin or Frank Haith. I don't think that's too much to expect.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Consistently inconsistent is all I can say. That does not win CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Reaction Score
Honestly Ollie might just be too nice of a guy for this to ever change. One of the reasons why Boeheim, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino are so hateable is because they carry themselves like they're better than everyone else, and that translates to how refs call their games. Ollie seems like he's too level headed and doesn't have the ego to do that.

I left JC out because I'd probably have a stroke typing anything negative about him. My body would reject it.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Notably not an AAC game.
The AAC officials are very poor.
The refs that work AAC games are the same refs that work B12, B10, ACC, and Big East games. The notion that the AAC has their own set of refs is simply wrong.

For whatever reason it seems to this board's favorite urban legend.

Reaction Score
For those of you who think this dynamic is unique to Ollie and UConn, I would encourage you to venture over to a Kentucky board. Those guys have been complaining about being shafted on the road all season and it isn't completely unfounded. Hell, go to the Duke board. They got the wrong end of some whistles in Louisville today.

Point is, all fan bases think they are being wronged by the refs at a rate disproportionate to reality. As Ern said earlier, is there really a concerted effort on the part of AAC officials to shortchange the premier program in the league, or do we simply have a couple guys who pick up a lot of dumb fouls? Between Miller, Brimah, and Nolan, I don't know how we have bodies left by the end of the game. At least in the case of the latter two, they've been foul machines their entire careers.

Back when we had teams (like 2014) that did not rack up fouls at such an astronomical rate, I don't remember this being a problem. Certainly, a kid like Brimah gets a tough whistle sometimes (there was more contact on Clark's block on Brimah than there was on Brimah's second), but all teams have guys like that.

Do people not remember Cronin getting big boy'd by some ref in Hartford a couple years ago? Or do we remember the near-goaltend in the AAC semifinals? I think the notion that he somehow extracts more favorable calls out of the officials than Ollie is a phenomena that exists purely in the minds of UConn fans.

Reaction Score
For those of you who think this dynamic is unique to Ollie and UConn, I would encourage you to venture over to a Kentucky board. Those guys have been complaining about being shafted on the road all season and it isn't completely unfounded. Hell, go to the Duke board. They got the wrong end of some whistles in Louisville today.

Point is, all fan bases think they are being wronged by the refs at a rate disproportionate to reality. As Ern said earlier, is there really a concerted effort on the part of AAC officials to shortchange the premier program in the league, or do we simply have a couple guys who pick up a lot of dumb fouls? Between Miller, Brimah, and Nolan, I don't know how we have bodies left by the end of the game. At least in the case of the latter two, they've been foul machines their entire careers.

Back when we had teams (like 2014) that did not rack up fouls at such an astronomical rate, I don't remember this being a problem. Certainly, a kid like Brimah gets a tough whistle sometimes (there was more contact on Clark's block on Brimah than there was on Brimah's second), but all teams have guys like that.

Do people not remember Cronin getting big boy'd by some ref in Hartford a couple years ago? Or do we remember the near-goaltend in the AAC semifinals? I think the notion that he somehow extracts more favorable calls out of the officials than Ollie is a phenomena that exists purely in the minds of UConn fans.
I remember Cronin losing his mind like a 2 yr old I'm not sure he got Td up even then. Same ref he was going off of before halftime I'm pretty sure.

Reaction Score
Honestly Ollie might just be too nice of a guy for this to ever change. One of the reasons why Boeheim, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino are so hateable is because they carry themselves like they're better than everyone else, and that translates to how refs call their games. Ollie seems like he's too level headed and doesn't have the ego to do that.

I left JC out because I'd probably have a stroke typing anything negative about him. My body would reject it.
KO just keeps his rage bottled up then goes off once every 2 years ie Louisville 2014 and Maryland early this season. Look out refs in 2017-2018 KO is coming for ya!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I remember Cronin losing his mind like a 2 yr old I'm not sure he got Td up even then. Same ref he was going off of before halftime I'm pretty sure.
No. Cronin went off on Ted Valentine at the XL a couple years back, not the guy working the game today. The assumption as to why Mick didn't get a technical is that is was Valentine who said something inappropriate to Cronin, causing the freak out.

Actually haven't seen Valentine work an AAC game the last 2 seasons. We can all be thankful for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3