Refs admit they should have given UConn 2 points at start of OT | The Boneyard

Refs admit they should have given UConn 2 points at start of OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010113aaa.html

"The players went in the wrong direction (tonight). Because we allowed that to happen, the only thing that was wrong is there was a goaltend on the play. We should have scored the goaltend and give Connecticut two points for that."
I'm glad they publicly admitted it although they had little choice. The really sad thing is that mistake could have been pivotal in the game's outcome. We'll never know. Hopefully the next close game will go UConn's way. I don't want this to be another 2009 season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm glad they publicly admitted it although they had little choice. The really sad thing is that mistake could have been pivotal in the game's outcome. We'll never know. Hopefully the next close game will go UConn's way. I don't want this to be another 2009 season.

I'd love a final four.

Reaction Score
The sad thing is that the refs are the worst part of the sport for several reasons. At its worst, youactually have corrupt refs determining the outcomes of games. And then you have biased refs who clearly have it in for certain coaches or favor others. I know many people assume this is a minor or nonfactor but I don't. Next you have incompetent refs. And, finally, you have the police state mentality. There is no way we protest the game because that would add extra exposure and embarassment to the refs and for the rest of time Ollie and UConn would be on the list of the refs. In every case, games are determined, not by the players, but by the refs. Talent, skill, preparation and effort should determine the outome, not the officials but the reality is that this isn't the case and never will be.

Reaction Score
Come on KO. Do your job, and protest the game. Stick up for the team. NOthing to loose here. It's NOT a ref judgement call on a play. The refs even admitted a PROCEDURAL mistake.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010113aaa.html

"The players went in the wrong direction (tonight). Because we allowed that to happen, the only thing that was wrong is there was a goaltend on the play. We should have scored the goaltend and give Connecticut two points for that."

"the only thing that was wrong is there was a goaltend on the play" What does only supposed to mean, it sounds like the refs are guilty of being caught in the act, it does sound too apologetic. When I hear the words only it also sounds like there is something else there that is being covered up, not saying there is a conspiracy there but hearing only doesnt exactly sound too good. You could simply say "we made a big mistake on that call and apologize for that, and will look to avoid those calls in future games" Now if the ref had said something like that then it looks like your taking full responsibility of doing your job and I can move on from it. When I hear only it sounds like there is more to the story, and your not taking responsibilty for your job.

Reaction Score

Of course, how could we forget that John Cahill personally cost us two games, Cincy and Cuse, with awful calls. These calls will happen. Unfortunately, it seems as if UConn is always on the wrong end of the call.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the first time that not having Calhoun on the sideline really made a difference this year. Calhoun gets that basket. Ollie did not. That's the problem with having a non-HOF coach.

Reaction Score
Not only did they not count the basket, but they gave Marq the ball. In essence, it was a 4 point play, plus the psychological impact.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I love blaming "the players" for going the wrong way. You think 10 guys in uniform were all wrong at the same time? Shouldn't someone have said something? This was blown about 10 different ways.

Reaction Score
This was not a bad call. This was not comparable to anything we've seen where a ref doesn't see something or exercises bad judgment. This was not knowing a rule that is written in the book. Something happened that may never have happened before, and the refs tried to use commons sense to dig out of the crisis they created instead of looking at the rule book and seeing if the situation was covered.

They should know the rule in the first place, and should have looked when they realized they didn't.

And one of our many experienced assistant coaches on our damn bench needed to know the rule in the first place, and walk to the scorer's table and show it to them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not only did they not count the basket, but they gave Marq the ball. In essence, it was a 4 point play, plus the psychological impact.

Yes, pathetic job. They essentially stole a clean win of a jump ball along with the basket. I think it did change the outcome of the game. The refs were bad on several calls and definitely botched the clean block (which announcers agreed) and missed the fact that Calhoun got hammered late in what was definitely not a clean block.

Of course the biggest factor was our pathetic offensive decision making down the stretch. You're in the bonus and the best you can do is chuck up heavily guarded threes? Just awful, stupid basketball. I appreciate the heart they showed all game, but the decision making was often terrible.

Reaction Score
I really think the coaches, refs and even most players knew the rule. I'm guessing that one of the players lined up wrong and everyone else fell in line. No one gave it any thought. However, it is indeed the refs job. We could see another suspension.

caw

Reaction Score
Of course, how could we forget that John Cahill personally cost us two games, Cincy and Cuse, with awful calls. These calls will happen. Unfortunately, it seems as if UConn is always on the wrong end of the call.

I disagree with complaining about refs making bad calls, they happen a ton throughout a game and both teams live with them.

This wasn't a bad call, this was a mistake. Therein lies the difference.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I disagree with complaining about refs making bad calls, they happen a ton throughout a game and both teams live with them.

It was more than a mistake. It was a double mistake: the refs let the players line up in the wrong direction and then took two points away from UConn because they didn't know the rule. To make matters worse, they then issued a mealy-mouthed explanation (not even an apology) saying that "the only thing that was wrong" was the failure to call goaltending. Geeze, talk about screwing up and refusing to take full responsibility.

Reaction Score

Disagree with complaining about refs making bad calls? Yes, bad calls go both ways but two points taken away from a team in a short 5 minute overtime, and the other team rewarded the ball can change the entire outcome of a game. Complaining is justified here.

Call it what you want, bad call or a mistake, bottom line, the refs need to know the rules and if they had known the rule, that mistake would have not happened and they simply would have made the right call outlined in the rule book.

caw

Reaction Score
Disagree with complaining about refs making bad calls? Yes, bad calls go both ways but two points taken away from a team in a short 5 minute overtime, and the other team rewarded the ball can change the entire outcome of a game. Complaining is justified here.

Call it what you want, bad call or a mistake, bottom line, the refs need to know the rules and if they had known the rule, that mistake would have not happened and they simply would have made the right call outlined in the rule book.

The first part was in reference to you complaining about John Cahill in the past.

I agree this MU game was something different and something that is a legitimate complaint and wasn't a simple bad call. It was a mistake, a serious one, but a mistake. I don't think the refs did it to screw UConn.

Reaction Score

Nope, it should have been Marquette ball. Normally, after we score a basket on a goaltend, the other team gets the ball. That's exactly what should have happened here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd love a final four.
That was the 2009-2010 year.
The season I'm referring to is the 2008 - 2009 season! It seemed like a 1/4 of the games opposing teams hit 30-40 foot shots at the end of the first half. Plus a ton of flukey things happening like the missed EW dunk.

Reaction Score
That was the 2009-2010 year.
The season I'm referring to is the 2008 - 2009 season! It seemed like a 1/4 of the games opposing teams hit 30-40 foot shots at the end of the first half. Plus a ton of flukey things happening like the missed EW dunk.

Yer off by a year, Fleud. We were in the 2009 Final Four. In the 2008 tourney, we lost to San Diego after AJP tore his ACL. In 2010, we beat Northeastern in the NIT in a game I'm sure we all remember fondly.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Nope, it should have been Marquette ball. Normally, after we score a basket on a goaltend, the other team gets the ball. That's exactly what should have happened here.

Yes, it should have been MU's ball after the UConn points tally on the board, but they should have got it at the other end of the floor, not at their own end. In other words, our D should have been set and MU would have had 10 seconds to cross midcourt.

Reaction Score
Still have heard nothing does a team have afteg on filing a protest. How long does a team have after the incident??

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Still have heard nothing does a team have afteg on filing a protest. How long does a team have after the incident??

I'm not sure a team can file a protest. There's nothing in the rules I know of that allows for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom