Reforming the UCONN Alumni Association | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Reforming the UCONN Alumni Association

Reaction Score
From Steve Donen '80 '83 Law:

Closing Arguments from UConn Alumni in the (K)no(w)
Jun 26, 2015

Friday will be the last day for UConn alumni that live in Connecticut to put their ballots in the mail so that they will be received at the post office box in Storrs by Monday.

In urging members of the Alumni Association to vote no to dissolution of the organization during the last few weeks, I have received hundreds of comments, emails and telephone calls from alumni and made a few new friends along the way.

I have also learned a lot. One of the things I learned is that many alumni did not understand the developments of the last several months and what they were being asked to decide.

The national Board of Directors had agreed with President Herbst last year to transition to a new model which would make all alumni members of the Alumni Association with no dues and were prepared to send a ballot to members in December asking them to approve such a change in their by-laws. Instead, President Herbst came to the Board on January 13th and told them in no uncertain terms that she was going to ask the Foundation to assume responsibility for all alumni activities, regardless of any action or changes made by the Association. Rather than consult with their members or member organizations (or major donors, legislators or the media) and inform them of the President's pronouncement, they discussed the matter among themselves and five weeks later came to the conclusion that the organization could not operate without University support. President Herbst's recommendation was accepted by the Board of Trustees and the Board of Directors of the UConn Foundation and alumni staff have worked to transition alumni responsibilities to the Foundation.

Thus, the proposed dissolution of the Association does not undo the decision made by President Herbst; it simply asks alumni whether they believe it is important to maintain a separate 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that will continue to have an elected presence within the University that will be elected by all alumni and whether they will continue to maintain control of their assets--the Alumni House and a six million dollar investment portfolio, rather than turning these assets over to the University and the Foundation. Those that support a no vote believe that alumni should continue to have elected representatives within the University power structure rather than have a few handpicked alumni serve on the Board of the Foundation. A no vote would allow the current Board of Directors to maintain control of the Alumni House, entering into a lease with the University for a nominal amount for its use, ensuring that it will continue to be used for alumni purposes into the future. Similarly, a no vote will keep the Association's assets in alumni hands, allowing the Board to allocate around five per cent of its principal each year to be used for scholarships and programs and activities of alumni chapters and affinity groups across the country.

I have never believed that the University's interests in seizing control of the Alumni Association was about its assets. But if this is not the case, why has the University worked so hard in recent days to ask alumni to vote yes when it already has assumed responsibilities for alumni activities? Why in the proposed distribution of assets did they force the Alumni Association's Board of Directors to include language that would allow the University to raze the existing house as long as they designate another location on campus as a "center for alumni?" And why does language in that same agreement allow the six million dollars in its portfolio to be used other purposes? And finally, when these loopholes were pointed out, why was the proposed distribution plan of assets removed from the Alumni Association's website for members to review before voting?

The bottom line is that members that vote yes to the dissolution of the Alumni Association will be eliminating any elected representation of alumni within the University, and will cede the control of alumni assets of the Alumni House and our investments to the University and its Foundation. That would be a sad end to an Alumni Association that has worked for 127 years to bring together alumni in support of its alma mater.

Steven R. Donen '80 '83 Law

Reaction Score

Jun 26, 2015

Why in the proposed distribution of assets did they force the Alumni Association's Board of Directors to include language that would allow the University to raze the existing house as long as they designate another location on campus as a "center for alumni?" And why does language in that same agreement allow the six million dollars in its portfolio to be used other purposes? And finally, when these loopholes were pointed out, why was the proposed distribution plan of assets removed from the Alumni Association's website for members to review before voting?
Steven R. Donen '80 '83 Law

The Proposed Distribution Plan is available on the Alumni Association website at http://uconnalumni.com/ballot

Reaction Score
It seems like the demise of the UCAA is a direct result of the Board's intentions. No ballot went out in December and most members were in the dark until very recently.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Jun 26, 2015

Friday will be the last day for the unbelieveably small percentage of UConn alumni who paid in that live in Connecticut to put their ballots in the mail so that they will be received at the post office box in Storrs by Monday...

FIFY.

Potentially stupid question - if the AA voted to nuke the dues-paying model, why aren't all alumni (which as a result should be members) voting?

Reaction Score
FIFY.

Potentially stupid question - if the AA voted to nuke the dues-paying model, why aren't all alumni (which as a result should be members) voting?

Because the change to a non-dues paying model required a change to the by-laws which had been drafted and was to be sent to all members to approve until the Administration interceded and did not let that happen.

Please note that whether this vote succeeds or not, it is likely to be the last time any or all alumni can ever participate in a vote on anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Please note that whether this vote succeeds or not, it is likely to be the last time any or all alumni can ever participate in a vote on anything"

pardon me, except presumably for the Alumni Trustees.........

Reaction Score
Good letter - and btw I'm 100% in agreement in the THEORY that the Foundation and the UCAA should be separate. But it didn't work.

The letter surmises that there is some conspiracy in play.

My guess? As difficult as the UCAA has been to deal with from the standpoint of the administration - they just want the noise to go away.

(btw - who is going to run for the Board when the current term is up given that the only jobs of the Board would be to stare at $6M that won't ever get any bigger and manage a lease to a house)

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="J187Money, The letter surmises that there is some conspiracy in play.[/QUOTE]

Eureka!!
upload_2015-6-26_10-20-3.png

more euphemistically known as "strategery"

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
"Please note that whether this vote succeeds or not, it is likely to be the last time any or all alumni can ever participate in a vote on anything"

pardon me, except presumably for the Alumni Trustees....

Funny enough - I remember voting as part of a much larger pool of UConn-associated people on other concerns. Hell, the football fan poll resulted in real change, and that was much much bigger!

This false scare-mongering nonsense is only digging the hole further, in my mind, anyway...

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="J187Money, The letter surmises that there is some conspiracy in play.

Eureka!! View attachment 9871

more euphemistically known as "strategery"[/QUOTE]

It isn't a conspiracy - they just believe they have the right agenda and they want you out of the way. That's not a conspiracy. That's bulldozing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It isn't a conspiracy - they just believe they have the right agenda and they want you out of the way. That's not a conspiracy. That's bulldozing.
...or house cleaning depending on your view point. I looked at the discourse in this thread, particularly as it became more petulant and paranoid, and realized that I wouldn't want to be in business with any of the few remaining dissenters. I suspect, as do you apparently, that the university came to the same conclusion.

Reaction Score
I've had to do this myself - years back I inherited a very dysfunctional team. I tried like hell to change the culture, but they were like a pack of mules and refused to change. I ended up outsourcing the function and laying the whole group off. At the end of the day the job needed be done properly. Only when I announced it did they decide to change. But it was too late.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
...or house cleaning depending on your view point. I looked at the discourse in this thread, particularly as it became more petulant and paranoid, and realized that I wouldn't want to be in business with any of the few remaining dissenters. I suspect, as do you apparently, that the university came to the same conclusion.
BINGO!!!

The UCAA put itself in this situation with remarkably dumb decisions, backstabbing and cronyism. I saw and felt it first hand. It had to be bad that the University said we'll take over from here and will NOT support you anymore.

I can't wait for the vote to be tabulated so we can move onto more important things, like Non-Key Tweets and Key Tweets!!:rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConnNick said:
You know most of the schools use the same tour operator as your wife's school? Who are they, and what schools are using them?

I've been on multiple tours with other schools' tour packages and they're no different than UCONN's. Have you been on any other school's tours, other than your wife's school?

The way UCONN does it is typical of schools in major conferences. The difference may be that the UCONN athletic dept. isn't interested in giving an allotment of package trips to the UCAA, for whatever reasons they may have. They only want the athletic dept. donors taken care of. Even if they did give an allotment to the UCAA, you'd still be paying the same prices, so I fail to see how it would be any different than what many other schools do when they market their ticket package deals.

I guess your wife's school is really lucky that they have a wonderful athletic dept., alumni group and tour operator. I agree that UCONN's tour operator (Worldtek in New Haven) absolutely sucks.

I guess that's the entire point. Her school and a bunch of others were using the same tour operator for their official tours, I forget the name of the company, but they had links for official bowl travel from a good cross section of the P5. Not every school but enough to notice that this was a major player in the business, definitely not World Travel. I'm sure state procurement procedures have a good deal to do with it. Public bidding and all, but as a private foundation that buys the game tickets from the AD, they could cut whatever deal us best for the alums and the foundation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
That's the conventional wisdom (and that's why Nick the Super Husky hangs up on these people, or at least that's what he tells himself).

In reality, though, the Foundation knows that that call is going to cause me to bump up my annual donation later in the year, and it does because I am a sucker for all things UConn. They are playing a long game and they are better at it than the typical robo-call farm.

My wife falls for the same thing every year. So regular is she that I'm now a life member of her association.

Reaction Score
I predict we won't get the 2/3rds vote required, the NOs will win, and the UCAA will embarrass itself and we will have to go through 3-4 more votes until whatever ultimately needs to happen will happen. And we will create even MORE badwill in the process. So much so that it will get picked up in the national media and make us all look stupid.

Reaction Score
I predict we won't get the 2/3rds vote required, the NOs will win, and the UCAA will embarrass itself and we will have to go through 3-4 more votes until whatever ultimately needs to happen will happen. And we will create even MORE badwill in the process. So much so that it will get picked up in the national media and make us all look stupid.
which all could have been avoided if the Administration had not taken the approach it did

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
which all could have been avoided if the Administration had not taken the approach it did
or if the AA was less inept.

Reaction Score
husky8273 said:

We are where we are. The choice at this point is do you want to try to burn the house down because you didn't get your way. Even if the school was wrong the ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me like there is a little bit of rationalization going on both sides, unless the folks at the foundation know you well enough to predict how you react to their call some months after it is made. In my case I have not gotten called in more than a decade. The reason is that the day after their last evening call I called the foundation and told them to look up my giving history in their records and if they wanted it to continue they had better take me off the robo list.

On a related subject I got a post card last week informing me that the business school would no longer be sending out the alumni magazine in hard copy. Instead they wanted an email address to send it. As far as I am concerned I have now seen the last issue. It was the only form of communication I got on a regular basis from Storrs. So much for increased alumni engagement to this member of the pre-internet generation.

Even though i'm in my 20s and usually don't see a point to things like newspapers I actually enjoyed getting the hard copy and read it almost every time. I doubt I will read it online.

Reaction Score

The administration is not changing course. This vote could come back 100-0 and the university won't change. It has already moved on and is not coming back.

Anyone who thinks that a "no" vote will somehow get the university to reconsider is simply not paying attention.

Reaction Score
The administration is not changing course. This vote could come back 100-0 and the university won't change. It has already moved on and is not coming back.

Anyone who thinks that a "no" vote will somehow get the university to reconsider is simply not paying attention.

Agreed. Hopefully it will give the UCAA board the strength to propose a plan that better protects its endowment.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Hopefully it will give the UCAA board the strength to propose a plan that better protects its endowment.

Clearly, the administration is done negotiating. The "no" effort will have no effect, even if it prevails.

Reaction Score
husky8273 said:

The endowment is going to be used to further the efforts of the University no matter where it sits. It isn't like the Foundation is going to blow it on helicopter rides or anything. To me this just seems to be a fight about control. 99.9% of alums won't know the difference either way. Just like the $6M doesn't affect anyone now.

Like the NYC chapter can't get by without the $1500/annum stipend it gets? My guess is it gets more funding from the Foundation. Not less.

Reaction Score
... A total of 2,407 ballots were cast, with 1,852 votes in favor of the proposal, and 555 opposed..

From a post earlier in thread... "230,000 UConn alumni. Of that number, only 5 percent, or about 13,000, are members of the Alumni Association"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom