Reflecting on 2011 | The Boneyard

Reflecting on 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another season in the books. 5-7. What a year. Transition. Huge roster turnover on offense, lost players left and right to all kinds of issues, injury, academics, transfer. New systems.

I did not see any point in time whre anybody did not give everything they got, and that's a tribute to every athlete out there. Thanks for the ride, and thanks for the effort.

With everything that happened, all the inconsistencies, all the mistakes, and all the good too - we were in position to earn a post season spot on the last day of the season.

I, personally, can't really ask for much more than that. To see progress, see goals reached, and they (goals) and achievemetns withing the team were reached all over the place, see plenty of potential for the future, and see players succeed.

The Rutgers game, senior day, will always be special, and I'm glad this team will always have that game to remember. That day was a very special one, in a year like this,and I'm so, so happy that the outgoing seniors will always have that one.

We began the year in turmoil, finished in turmoil too. Lost a few coaches, and gained a few coaches. Lost a ton of players, and gained a ton of players. Had all kinds of uncertainties in the lineups and game plans to sort out. Lost a few games, won a few games.

Competed like hell throughout.

Things I know: This 2011 team did not play well when behind on the scoreboard. This 2011 team played real well with a lead. I'm not going to get too much into specifics, stats, stuff like that. It'sa ll there for people to look at. There's a lot of positive that came out of the 2011 season. We are clearly a work in progress, but the structure, the framework of a successful team that plays a pressure style defense, and a vertical passing attack based on a strong run game - all there. The structure is there, and the 2011 squad had plenty of opportunity to make things happen within that structure.

The job now, is for the coaches to go out and find more personnel to fit into that structure and framework of a team, and for the returning players to work like hell to improve how they fit into that structure.

Thanks to all the seniors and captains for a great run. All of them Huskies forever.

Last few comments. The importance of the QB position. The game of football is the ultimate team sport, so many athletes need to do so much to get wins, and they all have to work together and they all have to do every little thing right.

But nothing is more important to the sustained success of a football team than the QB position. What happens with that position on and off the field can, and does, make or break a team.

It's no surprise that the best regular season in the d-1 era, a 9-3 campaign in 2003, came with a 3 year, healthy, starter at QB that's been in the NFL for 7 years now. It's no surprise that our run last year to the Fiesta Bowl came when a healthy 5th year senior finally got on the field and begain making the decisions (that he was allowed to do) and running the offense at the QB position.

It's no surprise that the 2011 team finished with a 5-7 record with the QB situation we had there.

The chance/percentage/reality/concept that a true freshman QB is going to be able to do things well on the football field is rare and low probability, especially if there isn't a very, very strong support system around that QB. We've got a little while yet, to dig out of the hole that existed on this team at that all important position, and I expect that the competition for that position starting in a couple months will be a hell of a lot more intense than it was nearly a year ago now.

And you can chalk that up for every spot on the entire roster. Competition is going to get jacked up, and that's a hugely positive thing.

I think that the level of play, level of competition, level of athlete, everything, is going to get jacked up a lot higher than ever.

Starting right now.

This 2011 team wasn't Pasqualoni's team, or his program. It was a transition. Something inbetween Edsall's program and Pasqualoni's program.

Pasqualoni's program started yesterday. We've got one of the biggest and strongest recruiting classes I think ever, coming in. The future is bright.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm with ya, Carl, except for the playing with the lead thing. A number of 4th quarters leads ended in disappointment.

Reaction Score
It's been a year full of bad news and bad breaks for guys we were counting on. There have been a few bright spots and some progress made, and I for one don't fault the effort of guys who kept working hard after roster losses and close losses on the field early in the season. A little disappointed in the pace of change and lack of organization especially on offense. That has to change. Offensive line inconsistent, missed assignments occasionally, and RB's scary when blocking. I'm surprised Mac finished the season and he showed some toughness but needs to work on mobility, a lot. Competition from Nebrich ahead.

Another young team next year but guys who mostly have seen the field. It will be fairer to judge the coaching strategy and results then, and hopefully the QB situation can be more settled and WR's more consistent and able to give us some big plays. No gripes about the defense really. They played close to their potential but DB's still lacked some speed and experience. They should be tough next year.

Reaction Score
I'm with ya, Carl, except for the playing with the lead thing. A number of 4th quarters leads ended in disappointment.

We did not win a single game this year when at any point in the game, we got down by two scoring possessions on the score board.

In every one of our wins, we were up by at least two scoring possessions at some point in the game, or managed to keep it within on possession til the end of the game.

Tells you a lot about our 2011 roster.

Reaction Score
It's been a year full of bad news and bad breaks for guys we were counting on. There have been a few bright spots and some progress made, and I for one don't fault the effort of guys who kept working hard after roster losses and close losses on the field early in the season. A little disappointed in the pace of change and lack of organization especially on offense. That has to change. Offensive line inconsistent, missed assignments occasionally, and RB's scary when blocking. I'm surprised Mac finished the season and he showed some toughness but needs to work on mobility, a lot. Competition from Nebrich ahead.

Another young team next year but guys who mostly have seen the field. It will be fairer to judge the coaching strategy and results then, and hopefully the QB situation can be more settled and WR's more consistent and able to give us some big plays. No gripes about the defense really. They played close to their potential but DB's still lacked some speed and experience. They should be tough next year.

I'm expecting big things for that kid next year. He got thrown into the fire, through no fault of his own, and he held up quite well, IMNSHO.

Been a long time since we've really developed a QB at UConn. I've got high hopes for this one.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting big things for that kid next year. He got thrown into the fire, through no fault of his own, and he held up quite well, IMNSHO.

Been a long time since we've really developed a QB at UConn. I've got high hopes for this one.

I agree with you here. But if Nebrich cannot supplant JM as the starter come next fall, we better hope Cochran or one of the other incoming QB's are legit, because the program will take a huge step back.

JM is a stand up kid and I admire the heck out of him because he toughed it out all year. But he is not a D1 QB.

Reaction Score
On the running side, McCombs was definitely a pleasant surprise this season. He should only get better, but could use some help carrying the load next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom