Ref Jim Burr retiring | The Boneyard

Ref Jim Burr retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will never forget as long as I follow hoops......this POS called a technical on the crowd at Gampel one year against Seton Hall (I think around 1993). In a close game that we ended up losing. I've never seen anything like it in decades of watching sports. He and the other officials (of which I know was Tim Higgins, another one on the worst all-time list of officials) decide to call a T without warning.

After that I thought, what a great idea.....travel around to all UConn away games and throw on the floor to get a technical called against the home team. I still have NEVER seen that call again since then. He and Higgins are the worst of the worst, and will not be missed whatsoever.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The worst characteristic of any ref is to make themselves part of the game and to have a sense of entitlement that they are bigger than the game.

Burr, like Teddy V fails miserably on those standards.

Good riddance.

Reaction Score
I dont understand all the hate? This guy was really good!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Will never forget as long as I follow hoops.this POS called a technical on the crowd at Gampel one year against Seton Hall (I think around 1993). In a close game that we ended up losing. I've never seen anything like it in decades of watching sports. He and the other officials (of which I know was Tim Higgins, another one on the worst all-time list of officials) decide to call a T without warning.

After that I thought, what a great idea.....travel around to all UConn away games and throw on the floor to get a technical called against the home team. I still have NEVER seen that call again since then. He and Higgins are the worst of the worst, and will not be missed whatsoever.
So what did you throw on the court?

Reaction Score
Burr was awful most of the time I will not miss him at all. Always went with the crowd and afraid to go against momentum it seemed.

Good career but .

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any idea how old he is? the article doesn't say.

Reaction Score
The best thing that I can say about Jim Burr is that he was not John Cahill.

The funny thing is ... Both Burr & Cahill are both from Albany. Cahill's father was regional head of basketball officials & gave both them starts, advancing them quickly. My Dad hired them often as AD of a small college.

Reaction Score
And the Grand Factoid award to whoever can state how many times he T'd JC. or UConn.

Reaction Score
One thing about Tim Higgins. He refereed the greatest game in college basketball history (March 29,1999) and did a tremendous job. Not once did he give in to the flops.

Reaction Score
Burr and Higgins and Cahill. Oh my! About 15 years ago at Gampel, I ran to the corner at half time and yelled down something nasty to Burr as he exited the court. He looked up at me and said "How old are you?" I'm still not too old to yell at refs but these three were among the best. I'd take any of them every game compared to the AAC schlock we get now.

Reaction Score
Burr and Higgins and Cahill. Oh my! About 15 years ago at Gampel, I ran to the corner at half time and yelled down something nasty to Burr as he exited the court. He looked up at me and said "How old are you?" I'm still not too old to yell at refs but these three were among the best. I'd take any of them every game compared to the AAC schlock we get now.
Burr and Higgins were pretty good. Cahill had it in for us.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Who's the twit that T-ed up KO and sending him off like Mt Vesuvius? Thus ejecting him, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom