Reed & Bass retire from Texas | The Boneyard

Reed & Bass retire from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
What a weird story. Why wouldn't they stick with the team for the rest of the season? Why would you "retire"? I wonder if they get to keep their scholarships?

Reaction Score
Why is it weird? Their doctors have advised them to stop playing. What do you want them to do -- risk their health and play? Or just sit on the bench the rest of the season and watch everyone else play the game that they can't anymore?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, I guess weird in the sense that retiring during the season seems really strange. For example, if (God forbid) Caroline suffered another ACL tear and the doctors told her that she couldn't play anymore, do you think she would just go about her life the rest of the season and not be a part of the team anymore? I seriously doubt it. She'd be the loudest on the on the bench.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess weird in the sense that retiring during the season seems really strange. For example, if (God forbid) Caroline suffered another ACL tear and the doctors told her that she couldn't play anymore, do you think she would just go about her life the rest of the season and not be a part of the team anymore? I seriously doubt it. She'd be the loudest on the on the bench.

Completely different situations.
Texas is 7-8. They're going to cheer the team on ... to a WNIT bid?
I dont see it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
So...the amount of team camaraderie and support depends on the record?
I'm sorry, I still find it strange. If it's life-threatening, that's one thing. I don't understand quitting in the middle of the season for injuries and not supporting the teammates you've been with since freshman year. The season is only a few more months long. I just can't think of a college player "retiring" before the season is even over.

Reaction Score
Maybe they don't like the new coach. Maybe they've lost passion for the game after years of injuries. Maybe they just want to get on with their lives and focus on academics.

It might not be the choice you would make, but it hardly seems "weird" to me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Once you stop playing, going to all the practice to sit and the team meetings to sit and then the games to sit is a big time commitment that really doesn't make sense if your career is over. I don't think the coaches would really want you sitting on the bench when you are no longer working within the program.
With players like CD when she was injured she was still fully active within the program - maybe not at all practices but in rehab when not at practice - a big difference.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
So...the amount of team camaraderie and support depends on the record?
I'm sorry, I still find it strange. If it's life-threatening, that's one thing. I don't understand quitting in the middle of the season for injuries and not supporting the teammates you've been with since freshman year. The season is only a few more months long. I just can't think of a college player "retiring" before the season is even over.

There is a difference between indicating that you, or even some or many, would make a another decision..and calling it “weird” or “strange”. That is where I have a substantial problem with your opine, especially since you are unaware of the personal/team details involved. The players are entitled to be in charge of their own life.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Again, I am not saying it's a bad decision or that they are bad people, just that it's odd to retire from a sport in the middle of a season. I understand the time commitment could be an issue, but aren't these women getting paid to go to school and play basketball? And what about their teammates? If a senior and a junior on UConn's team quit in the middle of the season, we would be talking it to death. Even if it was for injuries. If they left the team without finishing the season there would be endless speculation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Again, I am not saying it's a bad decision or that they are bad people, just that it's odd to retire from a sport in the middle of a season. I understand the time commitment could be an issue, but aren't these women getting paid to go to school and play basketball? And what about their teammates? If a senior and a junior on UConn's team quit in the middle of the season, we would be talking it to death. Even if it was for injuries. If they left the team without finishing the season there would be endless speculation.
Again - I think it is a huge difference between getting injured and rehabbing vs. being told you can no longer play the game - ever. To be a teammate is not just the games, but all the practices and meetings and training sessions. To be at a point where none of that has any meaning for your future life and still just go and sit and watch would be really really hard to do. And it wouldn't be exactly easy for your teammates to watch you either.
I actually think their decision makes a lot of sense for them and the team.

Jim

Reaction Score
Again - I think it is a huge difference between getting injured and rehabbing vs. being told you can no longer play the game - ever. To be a teammate is not just the games, but all the practices and meetings and training sessions. To be at a point where none of that has any meaning for your future life and still just go and sit and watch would be really really hard to do. And it wouldn't be exactly easy for your teammates to watch you either.
I actually think their decision makes a lot of sense for them and the team.
Maybe it does make sense for them, but I seem to recall Mel Thomas being on the bench for every game of her senior year even when her college playing career was over due to an injury.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Same with Shea. And Sveta. And yes, I know her career wasn't over, but there wasn't any question that they were a part of the team. Again, I point to Doty. If she got hurt again it would mean the end of her career, almost assuredly. And if she "retired" and no longer went to games, we would think it was very strange.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe it does make sense for them, but I seem to recall Mel Thomas being on the bench for every game of her senior year even when her college playing career was over due to an injury.
Same for Sveta and Shea, although K. Walters finally called it quits on her career and didn't participate with the team. (But that was after 2-3 years of being hurt).

But on the other hand, college career over and basketball career over are different.

Reaction Score
Why does one option have to be "normal" and the other "weird"? Isn't it possible that both are normal under the right circumstances?

I know that fan message boards are partisan, and I engage in that too sometimes, but in general I'm not fond of the board's tendency for questioning (if not denigrating) life decisions made by ~20 year olds.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Going out on thin ice, here - and, I'm not trying to start anything - but, perhaps it wasn't 100% the players decision as to whether to travel, attend practices, sit on the bench, etc.. Whether it's the cost of an additional 2 people traveling, the distraction, or just the staff preference, but, who knows? Is it possible that the staff said, "hey, you can stay if you'd like, but, it'd be OK with us if you just stepped away?"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why does one option have to be "normal" and the other "weird"? Isn't it possible that both are normal under the right circumstances?

I know that fan message boards are partisan, and I engage in that too sometimes, but in general I'm not fond of the board's tendency for questioning (if not denigrating) life decisions made by ~20 year olds.
I don't think anyone was denigrating the decisions. Saral and I just found their decisions odd/weird/strange, not something one would normally see. And 2 from the same team? Odd.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Going out on thin ice, here - and, I'm not trying to start anything - but, perhaps it wasn't 100% the players decision as to whether to travel, attend practices, sit on the bench, etc.. Whether it's the cost of an additional 2 people traveling, the distraction, or just the staff preference, but, who knows? Is it possible that the staff said, "hey, you can stay if you'd like, but, it'd be OK with us if you just stepped away?"
Possibly. That too might be considered "odd". ;)

Reaction Score
Same for Sveta and Shea, although K. Walters finally called it quits on her career and didn't participate with the team. (But that was after 2-3 years of being hurt).

But on the other hand, college career over and basketball career over are different.
Cokie Reed was a High School AA (Hoopgurlz # 5) who missed her entire sophomore year due to injury and has been plagued by injuries ever since. Barring a miracle, she has no real chance of playing basketball at a high level again. Comparisons to Mel Thomas, Sveta, Shea.... it's not such a similar scenario. I wish Cokie the best.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Especially in light of the FACT that we don't know any of the details...why can't we as a board just leave these young people to their own lives?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think we are leaving them to their own lives, but this is a basketball forum, and this is newsworthy, and it's not news you see every day, so to me, it's odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom