OT: - Red Chili | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Red Chili

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
For real authentic Texas chili; (from Frank X. Tolberts magnum opus, A Bowl of Red)
3 lbs of chuck or similar cut of beef, cut into 1/4" cubes
one small can tomato paste
3-5 garlic cloves or equivalent
one tablespoon each of'
cumin
paprika
tabasco
cayenne
oregano
salt
1/2 teaspoon sage (optional)
three to fifteen dried jalapeno (jap) chilis (one alarm to five alarm, according to taste. I like to use about 10)
one large onion, diced
one ancho chili (optional)
Boil the chilis for 5-10 minutes. split them and remove and discard the seeds and stems, then scrape out the pulp and discard the skin.
In a dutch oven or heavy skillet, brown the beef. Add the other ingredients and water (including the water the chilis were cooked in) to cover. Simmer (do NOT boil) until the beef is tender (at least an hour; this is why you do NOT want to start with a tender cut of beef) , adding a little water from time to time if necessary. If desired, serve with pinto beans.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Forgive me if this thread has been previously addressed but I'd like to see your personal recipe for red chili, with or without beans. Anyone can make it hot but is your chili also tasty? Is it thick or have more liquid? Ground beef, stew beef, other? Method? What works for you and what does not? Thanks from STL.
At a supermarket look for Hanover Chili Beans (near Goya?). An excellent recipe on the label. My go-to chili. Maybe its online via Hanover brand.

Reaction Score
I buy dried chilis, reconstitute them in hot water and toss them in a blender with some olive oil. I usually use New Mexico Red and toss in a chipotle to add a bit of heat. Red or green, the result is what I understand as a New Mexico style chili. No beans and no meat. One of our breakfast favorites ladled over Huevos Rancheros.

Add some meat and you have chile con carne, toss in some beans and tomatoes and you have the chili that most of us are familiar with.

So you don't put in chili powder? Just a wet paste? Huh!! That's what's called New Mexico style?

I keep learning. Grazi!

Reaction Score
For me the essential kick up is cumin. Add enough cumin and vegetarian, beef or bean chili is elevated to a honest level.

I am not a huge fan of canned peppers, the best for me to to roast poblanos.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So you don't put in chili powder? Just a wet paste? Huh!! That's what's called New Mexico style?

I keep learning. Grazi!

Yeah, New Mexico style chili predates European presence in North America. I sometimes use around 3-5 soaked dried big chiles as the base for my chili. I first heard of it from Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet, RIP).

Reaction Score
So this inspired me despite my broken wrist to attempt a chili today for the snow day. Peapod delivered some nice chop meat and prechopped onions and mrs b and I are going to party.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yeah, New Mexico style chili predates European presence in North America. I sometimes use around 3-5 soaked dried big chiles as the base for my chili. I first heard of it from Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet, RIP).

Didn't he leave the air under a cloud of sex abuse allegations?

Reaction Score
If you want to have a treat, slow smoke a couple of racks of ribs in your smoker. Then place them in your crock pot filled with New Mexico home made red chili and slow cook for another hour or so on low. Then serve. Wow!

Reaction Score
Didn't he leave the air under a cloud of sex abuse allegations?
I believe he agreed to large $$ settlements with multiple men who sued him for abusing them as young teens when they worked for him in his deli in the 70's.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, it appears that chili con carne, as we know it, originated in San Antonio somewhere around the middle of the 19th century. Trail drive cooks were not overly blessed with foodstuffs, and so tended to make use of what was readily available. The same was true of jailers, so chili con carne became a staple of prison fare in Texas. Irregardless of that, it is my firm belief that if you have once experienced authentic Texas chili, according to the recipe I posted above, you will never go back to chili soup made of hamburger meat and other deplorable ingredients.

Tolbert's book also has a recipe for another Texas trail drive delicacy (which I have not tried) called Son of a Bitch Stew, which was essentially made from a whole nursing calf, less, of course, the hide and hooves. It was so called because when there was occasion for a trail cook to feed a visitor, especially a greenhorn, he would, if possible, serve him this dish. When the pilgrim remarked on how tasty it was and asked for the recipe, he was inclined to exclaim; "son of a bitch!" (This dish was also known as the Gentleman from Odessa", the idea being that a "gentleman" in Odessa, Tx., would qualify as a son of a bitch anywhere else. Odessa was a VERY rough place!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom