OT: - Red Chili | The Boneyard

OT: Red Chili

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Forgive me if this thread has been previously addressed but I'd like to see your personal recipe for red chili, with or without beans. Anyone can make it hot but is your chili also tasty? Is it thick or have more liquid? Ground beef, stew beef, other? Method? What works for you and what does not? Thanks from STL.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am embarrassed to say this as a Texan, but I use Two-Alarm Chili, which comes in a box and has all of the ingredients in it. I use ground beef, the Two-Alarm Chili ingredients, add a can of regular Rotel tomatoes and a can of kidney beans. One of the ingredients in the Two-Alarm box is masa, so you can add that at the end if you want your chili to be thicker.

Don't forget to top it with cheese and onions!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For the record, if you say "red chili" to someone in New Mexico and Colorado, and maybe Arizona, your are going to be cooking an entirely different type of chili.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I like Texas Red style chili made with stew beef or venison and a chili paste made from cumin, dried ancho, New Mexico Red and chipotle to suit. I adjust the thickness with stock or masa harina. No beans and no tomatoes. I make it hot enough to get your attention but not so hot that you dread the next morning. I've experimented with beer, coffee, chocolate and other ingredients, but mostly I keep it simple.

I also like my New England style chili, made with ground beef, dark red kidney and black beans and canned tomatoes. Served with chopped onions and grated sharp cheddar (not that shredded stuff in a bag). I also like green chili and white bean chili.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For the record, if you say "red chili" to someone in New Mexico and Colorado, and maybe Arizona, your are going to be cooking an entirely different type of chili.
Ain't that the truth. And your palate will be ringing for days.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you ever find yourself in Austin make sure that you visit The Texas Chili Parlor. They offer several types of chili and all sorts of tasty dishes that involve chili. It is an Austin landmark.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"Break 1-9 Ohio Brownbear's World Famous Truckstop Chili"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.5 lbs. lean ground beef
.5 lb prepared chili chorizo
2 medium onions (diced)
15 oz. canned chili beans (second can optional)
15 oz. diced tomatoes w/ green chili
1 small can diced green chilis (Old El Paso)
30 oz. can crushed tomatoes
A dozen or so nacho Doritos (well crushed)
1 cup chopped green peppers
Shelby's chili mix to taste (contains dried tomato, cayene, and masa - skip the salt)
Fresh ground black pepper
1 cup water or beef stock

Brown the beef with the onions, then transfer to a slow cooker. Fry up the chorizo, adding the green pepper for the last 2 minutes or so. Then transfer to the cooker. Add the beans, tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes to the cooker. Drain and add the canned chopped green chilis. Add spices and remaining ingredients. Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, stirring once or twice only. Top with cheddar and chopped onion.

The black pepper gives a nice spicey snap without the cayene burn. There is already cayene in the Shelby's mix anyway.

Enjoy!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

Red as opposed to green (which I don't make very well at all. Have to go to NM for that.)

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
2 medium onions (diced)
Shelby's chili mix to taste (contains dried tomato, cayene, and masa - skip the salt)

Brown the beef with the onions, then transfer to a slow cooker. Fry up the chorizo, adding the green pepper for the last 2 minutes or so. Then transfer to the cooker. Add the beans, tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes to the cooker. Drain and add the canned chopped green chilis. Add spices and remaining ingredients. Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, stirring once or twice only. Top with cheddar and chopped onion.

The black pepper gives a nice spicey snap without the cayene burn. There is already cayene in the Shelby's mix anyway.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Sounds good.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I am embarrassed to say this as a Texan, but I use Two-Alarm Chili, which comes in a box and has all of the ingredients in it. I use ground beef, the Two-Alarm Chili ingredients, add a can of regular Rotel tomatoes and a can of kidney beans. One of the ingredients in the Two-Alarm box is masa, so you can add that at the end if you want your chili to be thicker.

Don't forget to top it with cheese and onions!

Beans drained or undrained?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
2 medium onions (diced)

Enjoy!
Oòoh baby!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is a recipe I developed because I have a lot of vegetarian friends and also some who hate beans. Everything is approximate, make to taste

Three-part chili

Chili beans

1 pound pinto beans
6 cups water
2 tsp/cubes vegetable bouillon
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
pinch each: basil, oregano, cilantro, garlic powder

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. Discard water and cover beans again. Bring to a boil and add bouillon. Reduce heat and cook until almost tender, about 1 hour. Add onion and herbs and spices and cook until onion is tender, another 1/2-1 hour. Taste and adjust herbs and spices to taste.

Vegetarian chili

2 Tbsp light cooking oil (or cooking spray
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1-2 Anaheim or cubanel pepper, finely chopped
1-2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped

1 Tbsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin

2 28 oz cans diced or crushed tomatoes

1 bay leaf

1 tsp oregano

In a heavy pot, heat oil or spray over medium heat, and sauté onion and garlic until they start to become tender. Add jalapeños and spices, being careful not to breathe too much of the steam. After a few more minutes, add peppers and sauté for two more minutes. Reduce heat, add tomatoes, and cook for an hour or more. Adjust spices to taste.

Meat chili

4-5 lb. inexpensive pork roast (beef may be substituted), cut into 1-2” cubes

2 cups beef bouillon or broth

2-4 habañero chile peppers, minced (wear rubber gloves when handling these chiles)*

Cut meat into 1-2” cubes. Trim fat, and dice some of the fat. Heat a heavy pot over medium-hot flame, and fry the diced fat until enough is rendered to cover the bottom of the pot. Remove the remaining solids from the pot. Brown the meat in the rendered fat. Add habañero chiles, being careful not to breathe the steam and smoke. Fry for a few minutes, and turn heat down. Add bouillon and simmer for several hours, adding more liquid (bouillon or beer) as needed.

*If you can’t find habañero chiles, there are many fine habañero-based sauces available.

Serving suggestions

These dishes can and should be mixed to the taste of the individual. They go well over rice or dipped with nacho chips. Good toppings include grated Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, and, of course, hot sauce if it isn’t hot enough for you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have to say that this is the most surprising thread I have ever seen on the BY. Now, once you take a bite of your chili and it tastes so good you could slap your mama, say "mmmm, you put your foot in this" and you will officially be a southerner.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've used really hot Jamaican Jerk sausage or good hot Italian sausage ground and mixed into the ground .chopped beef - adds a nice kick. Generally I find the handling of the meat to be the secret to the best meat chilis - get that flavor right and the rest is pretty fudge-able.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have to say that this is the most surprising thread I have ever seen on the BY. Now, once you take a bite of your chili and it tastes so good you could slap your mama, say "mmmm, you put your foot in this" and you will officially be a southerner.

A little reminiscent of this, there's a hot sauce called "Smack my ass and call me Sally". There are many better hot sauces out there, but not many with better names. (Satan's revenge comes to mind, and is a unique sauce.)

(PS -- board was acting up during recipe post, sorry for the formatting.)

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Bigboote, post: 2036836, member: 7631"

(PS -- board was acting up during recipe post, sorry for the formatting.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm having a problem with this board too. Have to reload frequently because it keeps freezing up. Has done that for the last two or three days. Anyone else?

Reaction Score
Two-to-one portions of boneless sirloin (seasoned with salt and pepper, and browned in batches) and sweet Italian sausage (browned, and put into the chili near the end).
Onion, celery, green bell pepper, poblano peppers (roasted, with charred portion washed off and seeds removed), whole canned tomatoes crushed by hand.
Dried kidney beans soaked overnight and cooked over low heat until tender.
Chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, garlic, chipotle in adobo, smoky paprika.
Lager beer plus some chicken stock.
Add a slurry of masa flour and the sauce near the end as thickener.

I think that's it.

Reaction Score
Well, I use the beef and onions and garlic and tomatoes, but mine gets a little different as I simmer the browned ground beef in 1/2 a bottle of beer. I also fire roast 3-4 poblano peppers on my gas range (Until they are totally charred then let them steam in a brown paper bag for 10 minutes or so and the skins rinse right off.) Then I make my own chili powder by grinding 4 guajillo, 3 cascabel, and 1 chipotle (all dried) in a coffee grinder. I also add 1/2-1 tablespoon of molasses to cut the acid of the tomatoes - you could also use instant coffee, if you prefer. For the last half hour I add the chopped cilantro stems. I serve the chili with chopped scallions, sour cream, cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro and lime wedges.

This is a pretty spicy chili - you can cut down on the hot peppers if you like.

Reaction Score
Two-to-one portions of boneless sirloin (seasoned with salt and pepper, and browned in batches) and sweet Italian sausage (browned, and put into the chili near the end).
Onion, celery, green bell pepper, poblano peppers (roasted, with charred portion washed off and seeds removed), whole canned tomatoes crushed by hand.
Dried kidney beans soaked overnight and cooked over low heat until tender.
Chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, garlic, chipotle in adobo, smoky paprika.
Lager beer plus some chicken stock.
Add a slurry of masa flour and the sauce near the end as thickener.

I think that's it.

Forgot that I serve it over a mix of jasmine rice, brown rice, and barely. Also serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

Reaction Score
I've used really hot Jamaican Jerk sausage or good hot Italian sausage ground and mixed into the ground .chopped beef - adds a nice kick. Generally I find the handling of the meat to be the secret to the best meat chilis - get that flavor right and the rest is pretty fudge-able.

I used to use hot Italian sausage, but it made the chili too spicy, so switched to sweet Italian sausage, which cuts the heat a bit.

Reaction Score

Apologies to our East Texas chums, but I use beans. We in the "Land of Steady Habits" trend towards the healthy side. So the added fiber and non-fat proteins from the beans. And, yes, this from the guy who adds sweet Italian sausage. Go figure....

Reaction Score
I like Texas Red style chili made with stew beef or venison and a chili paste made from cumin, dried ancho, New Mexico Red and chipotle to suit. I adjust the thickness with stock or masa harina. No beans and no tomatoes. I make it hot enough to get your attention but not so hot that you dread the next morning. I've experimented with beer, coffee, chocolate and other ingredients, but mostly I keep it simple.

I also like my New England style chili, made with ground beef, dark red kidney and black beans and canned tomatoes. Served with chopped onions and grated sharp cheddar (not that shredded stuff in a bag). I also like green chili and white bean chili.

How do you make the "chili paste"?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Apologies to our East Texas chums, but I use beans. We in the "Land of Steady Habits" trend towards the healthy side. So the added fiber and non-fat proteins from the beans....

Texas writes its own rules about a lot of things, it seems. But for most of us, I'd bet Southwestern/Midwestern chili is still the preferred way to go. Every time I hear someone start a sentence with, "Real chili means," I know what follows will be nonsense. There is no single orthodoxy or legit approach, and nobody knows for sure where chili was first made or of what it was made.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
How do you make the "chili paste"?

I buy dried chilis, reconstitute them in hot water and toss them in a blender with some olive oil. I usually use New Mexico Red and toss in a chipotle to add a bit of heat. Red or green, the result is what I understand as a New Mexico style chili. No beans and no meat. One of our breakfast favorites ladled over Huevos Rancheros.

Add some meat and you have chile con carne, toss in some beans and tomatoes and you have the chili that most of us are familiar with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom