Recurring problems | The Boneyard

Recurring problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • Ollie is now a combined 0-7 against Pitino and Brown. That's not an indictment on him as a coach, because a lot of coaches struggle against those guys, and he's proven to be able to beat great coaches when it matters. But all seven match-ups against those two coaches have essentially followed the same script - at some point, he'll have to address that.

• On that note, UConn came storming out of the gates, so I don't want to hear about how Ollie didn't have the team ready to play. They were ready to play. We led 10-5 at the first media timeout, and once Brown had the chance to talk to his team and/or make adjustments, it was curtains. It's hard to pinpoint what those adjustments were without seeing the tape, but one thing that was noticeable was how aggressively SMU overplayed the perimeter. When you're being hounded 30 feet from the basketball, your guards kind of have to abandon script and read/react rather than continuing to run the offense. To some degree, our ball-handling deficiencies were exposed - SMU dared Samuel and Purvis to beat them off the dribble and they didn't do it.

• Brimah somehow manages to validate and invalidate his detractors in nearly every big game. On one hand, he’s played over 60 college games now – he’s still raw, but the fact that he’s still committing the same stupid fouls is concerning. He is very soft with the ball when he receives it in the post, and he’s moved easily for rebounding position on the glass. Then again, it’s telling that he managed to post a positive +/- in a game we lost by 18. The offense typically goes to hell with him on the bench.

• Hamilton is beginning to turn a corner. His handle has gotten a lot better, and when he’s determined enough nobody can keep him out of the lane. His one weakness offensively is his shooting stroke. He has good form, but it seems to come off the rim hard. When he masters that mid-range game, he’ll be an all-American.

• If you want to know what the biggest difference between these two teams is, it’s that SMU’s forwards can actually put the ball on the floor and pass. Their three front court players combined for seven assists tonight. Brimah, Nolan, and Facey have combined for seventeen on the season. I don’t care if your point guard is Steph Curry – it’s going to be tough to find room when the middle of the floor is vaporized by big men who can’t do much of anything. It doesn’t help matters that our shooting guard can’t pass and our point guard is an undersized two playing the one.

• I’ve been a defender of Nolan, but it didn’t look like he even belonged on the court tonight. Omar Calhoun isn’t a particularly useful player, either. I love what those two have contributed to the program, but Calhoun’s been a shell of himself ever since the hip surgery and Nolan is following the Tyler Olander career trajectory.

• I’ve been a defender of Nolan, but it didn’t look like he even belonged on the court tonight. Omar Calhoun isn’t a particularly useful player, either. I love what those two have contributed to the program, but Calhoun’s been a shell of himself ever since the hip surgery and Nolan is following the Tyler Olander career trajectory.

• Last thing: this is the third time this season I’ve felt we got short-changed on the whistles (Duke and Stanford were the other two). We deserved to lose all three games and I’m sure there have been games where the whistle has gone in our favor, but at some point you have to wonder if Ollie just isn’t getting respect from the officials for whatever reason. My favorite was when the official overturned the correct call and gave the ball to SMU. The moving screen on Brimah was also great – sometimes I think the refs are conspiring to make his life hell. Anyway, this team should be directing all their energy from this point forward to winning the AAC Tournament, if for no other reason than that Boatright deserves it. This team plays hard but I’m not sure they can’t play harder. Another big game coming up @ Memphis on Thursday.

Reaction Score
  • Ollie is now a combined 0-7 against Pitino and Brown. That's not an indictment on him as a coach, because a lot of coaches struggle against those guys, and he's proven to be able to beat great coaches when it matters. But all seven match-ups against those two coaches have essentially followed the same script - at some point, he'll have to address that.
  • On that note, UConn came storming out of the gates, so I don't want to hear about how Ollie didn't have the team ready to play. They were ready to play. We led 10-5 at the first media timeout, and once Brown had the chance to talk to his team and/or make adjustments, it was curtains. It's hard to pinpoint what those adjustments were without seeing the tape, but one thing that was noticeable was how aggressively SMU overplayed the perimeter. When you're being hounded 30 feet from the basketball, your guards kind of have to abandon script and read/react rather than continuing to run the offense. To some degree, our ball-handling deficiencies were exposed - SMU dared Samuel and Purvis to beat them off the dribble and they didn't do it.

• Brimah somehow manages to validate and invalidate his detractors in nearly every big game. On one hand, he’s played over 60 college games now – he’s still raw, but the fact that he’s still committing the same stupid fouls is concerning. He is very soft with the ball when he receives it in the post, and he’s moved easily for rebounding position on the glass. Then again, it’s telling that he managed to post a positive +/- in a game we lost by 18. The offense typically goes to hell with him on the bench.

• Hamilton is beginning to turn a corner. His handle has gotten a lot better, and when he’s determined enough nobody can keep him out of the lane. His one weakness offensively is his shooting stroke. He has good form, but it seems to come off the rim hard. When he masters that mid-range game, he’ll be an all-American.

• If you want to know what the biggest difference between these two teams is, it’s that SMU’s forwards can actually put the ball on the floor and pass. Their three front court players combined for seven assists tonight. Brimah, Nolan, and Facey have combined for seventeen on the season. I don’t care if your point guard is Steph Curry – it’s going to be tough to find room when the middle of the floor is vaporized by big men who can’t do much of anything. It doesn’t help matters that our shooting guard can’t pass and our point guard is an undersized two playing the one.

• Last thing: this is the third time this season I’ve felt we got short-changed on the whistles (Duke and Stanford were the other two). We deserved to lose all three games and I’m sure there have been games where the whistle has gone in our favor, but at some point you have to wonder if Ollie just isn’t getting respect from the officials for whatever reason. My favorite was when the official overturned the correct call and gave the ball to SMU. The moving screen on Brimah was also great – sometimes I think the refs are conspiring to make his life hell. Anyway, this team should be directing all their energy from this point forward to winning the AAC Tournament, if for no other reason than that Boatright deserves it. This team plays hard but I’m not sure they can’t play harder. Another big game coming up @ Memphis on Thursday.

I miss this KO (and everyone that left):

Reaction Score
No regrets about posting the same paragraph twice?
Actually, good post

Haha...for whatever reason my computer lags once I get past a couple paragraphs, so I have to write on a word document and then copy and paste the paragraphs in.

Reaction Score

To some degree, our ball-handling deficiencies were exposed - SMU dared Samuel and Purvis to beat them off the dribble and they didn't do it.

If you want to know what the biggest difference between these two teams is, it’s that SMU’s forwards can actually put the ball on the floor and pass. Their three front court players combined for seven assists tonight. Brimah, Nolan, and Facey have combined for seventeen on the season. I don’t care if your point guard is Steph Curry – it’s going to be tough to find room when the middle of the floor is vaporized by big men who can’t do much of anything. It doesn’t help matters that our shooting guard can’t pass and our point guard is an undersized two playing the one.

So what you are actually saying is that SMU is more talented and plays better as a team. Add more athletic, quicker and has a higher BB IQ and I totally agree.

Reaction Score
Hugo's right. Their bigs can pass, not just "get rid of it" they can find people ready to score. Watched Wisconsin today, seemed like everyone on the floor could handle and pass - huge advantage for any team.

Reaction Score
I miss this KO (and everyone that left):

Hell yeah I miss that KO but anybody going through the personal problems he has have to understand his mind is not all there. Hopefully KO will be fine next year and will come back with a zest for coaching. I think this young team more than last year need to see that fire from their coach to feel the sense of urgency. Last night there was no sense of urgency and you could see effort wasn't there on the defensive side of the ball with people out of place and not getting back down the court.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one, but I see this focus on Ollie's divorce as an overreach in the extreme. I'm surprised we haven't moved on to the effect that the winter weather is having.
Yes, Coach is professional enough to not bring his personal issues to the court.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one, but I see this focus on Ollie's divorce as an overreach in the extreme. I'm surprised we haven't moved on to the effect that the winter weather is having.
He is coaching differently. Most likely this group of players requires it. But who knows if he isn't being counseled by his lawyer to show restraint.

Reaction Score
He is coaching differently. Most likely this group of players requires it. But who knows if he isn't being counseled by his lawyer to show restraint.
I'm pretty sure coach could find a few people to back up his reputation. I cannot see where "nudging" the refs on occasion would become an issue in his divorce settlement.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You say: Ollie is now a combined 0-7 against Pitino and Brown

They both have had personnel that give UConn teams problems. Neither are geniuses - look at Browns overall NBA record

I agree with so many of your other points - good post

Reaction Score
Hugo's right. Their bigs can pass, not just "get rid of it" they can find people ready to score. Watched Wisconsin today, seemed like everyone on the floor could handle and pass - huge advantage for any team.
Wisky has played well without Jackson. I thought they may take a step back.

Reaction Score
I cringe when I see Nolan and Facey have the ball in their hands. The end result is a forced shot or a quick pass back to the guard who just threw them the ball.

The SMU forwards make intelligent decisions when they have the ball looking either to make an offensive play or pass to an open shooter.

A world of difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC