Recruting - Numbers Don't Add Up | The Boneyard

Recruting - Numbers Don't Add Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We lost quite a few players during summer camp before last season began.

Reaction Score
Last I knew, Schumate is scheduled to come back. Perhaps 1-2 players may not return this semester. Then, shortly after spring training, 2-3 more decide not to return. Finally, 1-3 players don't come back in Aug.
I'm sure PP is expecting this. The roster needs to be @ 85 scolies by Sept 1

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
several transfers will happen in the spring imho as well. its a PP depth vs RE depth thing.

Reaction Score
Shoemate applied for a medical redshirt. We don't know if it has been granted yet or not. The NCAA is too busy looking into whether some girl who was a junior, payed for Ryan Boatright's lunch one day when he was a freshman.

Reaction Score
I'm sure coach P will have a talk with some of the 5th year seniors and some other players that have not progressed, it happends every year. We'lll bring in 20 to 22 recruits and lose some guys through attrition. Really happy with some of the guys that ended up redshirting last year, I think we'll have some quality depth this year. Wonder how many true freshman will see the field as well.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i see us with 22-25 recruits + the 5 transfers. basically 1/3 of our roster will be new faces next year.

i feel like were in real good shape with barrington morris and evan schwan from what it all sounds like. i feel like were in 50/50 shape with morgan and brodie. i wonder about jordan armstrong. of those 5 i'm looking for some signed papers soon, not to mention others.

Reaction Score
I think we had around 80 kids on scholarship last year. With the 14 seniors and I'm gonna guess 5 transfers we're looking at bringing in right around 25(give or take).

Reaction Score
14 + 5 = 19. How doe we get to 23 - 25. We had Generett, Difton and the WR from MD (forgot his name) leave. Wiley and Frey did not come back. Box left too.

Has to be 5 more or so going.

Reaction Score
scholarships returned (9): box, difton, endres, frey, generett, kinnard, lang, portee, sheppard.
scholarships given (3): mateas (psu), phillips (bc), donohue (md).
possible scholarship given (1): maher (nova).

Reaction Score
Shoemate applied for a medical redshirt. We don't know if it has been granted yet or not. The NCAA is too busy looking into whether some girl who was a junior, payed for Ryan Boatright's lunch one day when he was a freshman.

My understanding is that medical red shirts are approved by the conference and not the NCAA. The only time the NCAA is involved is if the player will require a sixth year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that medical red shirts are approved by the conference and not the NCAA. The only time the NCAA is involved is if the player will require a sixth year of eligibility.

What is this based on?

The NCAA governs eligibility, not the conferences. Shoemate was a senior this year who played in games all 4 years of his college career including this year. He's asking for a 5th year after playing 4. Why would that be handled by the conference rather than the NCAA when the NCAA governs eligibility?

Reaction Score
scholarships returned (9): box, difton, endres, frey, generett, kinnard, lang, portee, sheppard.
It adds up now. Thanks

Reaction Score

Don't forget McNeal.

Reaction Score
What is this based on?

The NCAA governs eligibility, not the conferences. Shoemate was a senior this year who played in games all 4 years of his college career including this year. He's asking for a 5th year after playing 4. Why would that be handled by the conference rather than the NCAA when the NCAA governs eligibility?

Because the NCAA has to much on its plate so it has delegated this to the conference. This is purely for approving medical red shirts. If a player needs a sixth year that has to be approved by the NCAA. Only reason I know this is they BC had numerous medical red shirts this year and it was the ACC that approved them.

http://espn.go.com/boston/ncf/story...les-montel-harris-5-others-get-medical-waiver

Reaction Score
Because the NCAA has to much on its plate so it has delegated this to the conference. This is purely for approving medical red shirts. If a player needs a sixth year that has to be approved by the NCAA. Only reason I know this is they BC had numerous medical red shirts this year and it was the ACC that approved them.

http://espn.go.com/boston/ncf/story...les-montel-harris-5-others-get-medical-waiver

Thanks for the explanation. But is every report I see says he asked the NCAA. Here is one example. http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/07/d-j-shoemate-done-for-the-year-at-uconn/
"The school has asked the NCAA to grant Shoemate be granted a medical redshirt. On the year, Shoemate has eight carries for 28 yards and a catch for nine yards."

Who knows. Bottom line he is waiting to find out if he can play another year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger