recruits & BCS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

recruits & BCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There will be, but why would you take a chance, you only get one shot and the system screws transfers.
Whaler, I hope for your sake you are not as negative in your personal life as you are about UConn football.

Reaction Score
There's plenty of reason to be negative about the future of UConn football.

Reaction Score
More reasons to be positive than negative. Easily.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
More reasons to be positive than negative. Easily.
Exactly. For instance I'm positive I'm negative.

Reaction Score
It's actually amazing that we haven't seen stories about the recruiting class falling apart yet. I'd question the sanity of any commit who has an offer from a school that knows they are in a BCS conference who doesn't take it.

Perhaps, unlike you, the young men who have committed have some patience. They are willing to see what transpires over the next few weeks. Nothing is going to change for them very much at all for the next couple months. So why would they jump ship, not knowing at all where UConn will wind up? Perhaps they have confidence that UConn will be BCS no matter how the chips fall.

Your suggestion of insanity on their part is laughable. You sound like the type who turns off your television when UConn falls behind by a field goal in the first quarter too! What are you going to tell us next, that UConn is going to lose all of it's sports programs because of this? Or perhaps that the entire university is going to close down because of this? My guess is that I'm just a day or two ahead of you in saying this though! I think your panicking is way overdone. The recruits we have are showing a lot more poise than you are....just as they did last January when our head coach left. You're an adult , right? ....and these are kids we're talking about ... who are exhibiting the poise ....amazing!

Reaction Score
Oh, you need to be glued to a message board to know about this. I'm sure that coaching staffs from other schools would never target these kids.

You don't exactly have to be glued to message boards to hear that UConn is potentially screwed.

And tomorrow if we end up in the ACC or Big 10 we are WAY better off than we were before in my opinion. Nobody has to make a decision today. I know it feels like the world is falling apart, but I'll wait and see.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone who claims to be concerned about recruiting would start a thread like this. Is "BigEastCT" a UCONN fan or UCONN hater, I can't tell.

And "Whaler11" clearly needs to find another team to root for. UCONN makes him miserable.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone who claims to be concerned about recruiting would start a thread like this. Is "BigEastCT" a UCONN fan or UCONN hater, I can't tell.

And "Whaler11" clearly needs to find another team to root for. UCONN makes him miserable.

I am a long time Big East Fan (MSG every year) and Uconn season ticket holder since the rent opened. My first thought when TCU left before they even showed up is, “their goes our BCS conference as we know it”. How can you not think that?

Sometimes as a sports fan, you need to step back and stop being a “Homer” and realize the glass is not half full.

If we do not get scooped up by the ACC, say good by to big time football in CT. It is quite disturbing some are reluclatant to hit the panic button.

Whaler11 is realest. The people who are basing him are imagining things will get better, and I hope that the ones, who are bashing him, know something that he or I don’t know.

Even if we get invited to the ACC in two years, kids who we are recruiting today, knowing Uconn’s instability of BCS conference affiliation will push us to the end of the list; this will set Uconn Football backwards for years to come. We have problems now keeping kids home. They now have another reason to leave.

Reaction Score
I am a long time Big East Fan (MSG every year) and Uconn season ticket holder since the rent opened. My first thought when TCU left before they even showed up is, “their goes our BCS conference as we know it”. How can you not think that?

Sometimes as a sports fan, you need to step back and stop being a “Homer” and realize the glass is not half full.

If we do not get scooped up by the ACC, say good by to big time football in CT. It is quite disturbing some are reluclatant to hit the panic button.

Whaler11 is realest. The people who are basing him are imagining things will get better, and I hope that the ones, who are bashing him, know something that he or I don’t know.

Even if we get invited to the ACC in two years, kids who we are recruiting today, knowing Uconn’s instability of BCS conference affiliation will push us to the end of the list; this will set Uconn Football backwards for years to come. We have problems now keeping kids home. They now have another reason to leave.

There is a difference between recognizing the seriousness of a problem that has existed for 20 days without having been solved to this point and concluding that life sucks and the world as we know it is over. That is the point that others are trying to make. You are free to absorb it or not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Perhaps, unlike you, the young men who have committed have some patience. They are willing to see what transpires over the next few weeks. Nothing is going to change for them very much at all for the next couple months. So why would they jump ship, not knowing at all where UConn will wind up? Perhaps they have confidence that UConn will be BCS no matter how the chips fall.

Your suggestion of insanity on their part is laughable. You sound like the type who turns off your television when UConn falls behind by a field goal in the first quarter too! What are you going to tell us next, that UConn is going to lose all of it's sports programs because of this? Or perhaps that the entire university is going to close down because of this? My guess is that I'm just a day or two ahead of you in saying this though! I think your panicking is way overdone. The recruits we have are showing a lot more poise than you are....just as they did last January when our head coach left. You're an adult , right? ....and these are kids we're talking about ... who are exhibiting the poise ....amazing!

Yeah, not having a conference affiliation is like falling behind by a field goal in a game.

In all seriousness, you are just dead wrong across the board. I'm not going to get into the losses I've sat through in the places I've been, but you'd have to be Waylon to be more wrong.

Until they sign an LOI they haven't shown any poise, so I'd relax on giving people kudos for something they haven't done yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'm not miserable at all. If UConn ends up in some sort of MAC or CUSA level league I'll be there every week. I've been to every home game except 2 since 1997. I've seen plenty of bad football, and supported plenty of bad teams.

UConn's football program is the only sports team that I live and die with. I know a lot of people here have faith everything is going to be ok.... I certainly think there is a very good chance that UConn lands in the ACC when it is all said and done. I just realize if they don't, that all the growth we have seen over the past decade is a memory and the entire athletic program will be a shell compared to how great it has been in the past.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And tomorrow if we end up in the ACC or Big 10 we are WAY better off than we were before in my opinion. Nobody has to make a decision today. I know it feels like the world is falling apart, but I'll wait and see.

Absolutely. My point has been all along that if we get to national signing day and aren't in a sure-fire BCS conference that there is no way to sign the types of athletes needed to compete at the BCS level. That's a simple reality. If you don't think the kids, their parents, their high school coaches and the coaches from other programs who will attempt to poach those kids don't get it.... then you are fooling yourself.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not having a conference affiliation is like falling behind by a field goal in a game.

In all seriousness, you are just dead wrong across the board. I'm not going to get into the losses I've sat through in the places I've been, but you'd have to be Waylon to be more wrong.

Until they sign an LOI they haven't shown any poise, so I'd relax on giving people kudos for something they haven't done yet.

The poise, Whaler, is in the recruits not panicking, as you are here on the board! Your earlier statement was to question their sanity if they didn't jump ship right now and accept an offer from another BCS school...any BCS school. Now if that doesn't sound like YOU'RE hitting the panic button, I don't know what does! Could they eventually not sign the LOI? Of course! But with a little time, this situation will be sorted out, and UConn could wind up in any number of positions, some weaker, the same, and some, even better!

I can appreciate your concern, we all have the same concern as you. But unless you have a personal line in to Prez Herbst or Swofford or Delaney, and KNOW something we don't, there's no point in yelling about the sky falling on the message boards. Let Herbst work behind the scenes to do what is best for UConn. The yelling does nothing positive or constructive, it only serves in allowing you to vent your personal frustration.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The poise, Whaler, is in the recruits not panicking, as you are here on the board! Your earlier statement was to question their sanity if they didn't jump ship right now and accept an offer from another BCS school...any BCS school. Now if that doesn't sound like YOU'RE hitting the panic button, I don't know what does! Could they eventually not sign the LOI? Of course! But with a little time, this situation will be sorted out, and UConn could wind up in any number of positions, some weaker, the same, and some, even better!

I can appreciate your concern, we all have the same concern as you. But unless you have a personal line in to Prez Herbst or Swofford or Delaney, and KNOW something we don't, there's no point in yelling about the sky falling on the message boards. Let Herbst work behind the scenes to do what is best for UConn. The yelling does nothing positive or constructive, it only serves in allowing you to vent your personal frustration.

A. I'm not yelling.

B. Nothing I say or do is going to effect what happens.

C. The thing that is most frustrating is listening to the delusions of the posters on this board. I mean there is a thread about choosing the Big 10 over the ACC.

D. I'm simply stating that when signing day rolls around, if UConn isn't on solid ground they can't sign a class that can compete at the BCS level. That seems so obvious it's painful, but I guess you and others like to believe that players are willing to cast their lot and hope things work out.

E. Yes, I'd say if were a recruit and had other BCS offers and signed with UConn if they are still in the Big East in February - then you are insane.

Reaction Score
A. I'm not yelling.

C. The thing that is most frustrating is listening to the delusions of the posters on this board. I mean there is a thread about choosing the Big 10 over the ACC.

D. I'm simply stating that when signing day rolls around, if UConn isn't on solid ground they can't sign a class that can compete at the BCS level. That seems so obvious it's painful, but I guess you and others like to believe that players are willing to cast their lot and hope things work out.

E. Yes, I'd say if were a recruit and had other BCS offers and signed with UConn if they are still in the Big East in February - then you are insane.

A. ok
B. ok
C. ok, but we have to listen to your pre-emptive negativity strike to, so... someone's gotta balance you out.
D. Yes, we will generally not get better players if we are proven conclusively to be outside the BCS at the end of this musical chairs. At this point, that seems pretty unlikely, though it can't be ruled out. We have a very good hand in this poker game, though.
E. You act like BCS is the one and only factor that goes into a recruits thought process. Now, it may be one of the factors, but that is plain silly. Also, Big East will still be a BCS conference in February, so not sure that means anything.

For what its worth, I think UConn accepts ACC bid by next football season and enters with Pitt/Syracuse for 2013-14 season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
D. Yes, we will generally not get better players if we are proven conclusively to be outside the BCS at the end of this musical chairs. At this point, that seems pretty unlikely, though it can't be ruled out. We have a very good hand in this poker game, though.

We have a good hand? Then why is UConn on the outside looking in right now? TCU has gone from the MWC to Big 12 without ever having to play a single Big East game, while UConn sits and waits for someone to keep them from sitting at the kid's table at Thanksgiving.

The Big East football conference isn't going to exist in another month. The idea that there will be a BCS bid attached to USF/Rutgers/UConn is ridiculous. For the love of God, Navy told us to go #$&* in our hats.

Reaction Score
Lotta quitters in this thread. Maybe y'all should pack up your bags and go home. Nothing to see here. Might as well give up. Obviously they're going to turn UConn into a giant parking lot.

Sometimes the panic on these message boards is sad.
There is a fine line between optimism and delusion. Right know we are left holding our proverbial d*cks in our hands. I hope your optimism is well placed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The one good thing about UConn dropping to a non-BCS conference would be about half the posters in this thread would check out on the program and we would not have to read them dumping on UConn anymore.

Reaction Score
A. I'm not yelling.

I think that:

A) It will be sorted out by signing day.
B) It is highly likely we will end up in a BCS conference.
C) In the meantime, it is definitely possible that we could lose a player or two.
D) If we do lose a player or two in these uncertain days, and it turns out we end up in a solid BCS conference, we will find adequate replacements and be fine.
E) If we don't end up in a BCS conference, we are screwed.

Reaction Score
The Big Deceased is dead man walking. UConn better hope for an ACC bid. How's that whole TCU is coming in so we'll be OK thing working out now.

Reaction Score
The Big Deceased is dead man walking. UConn better hope for an ACC bid. How's that whole TCU is coming in so we'll be OK thing working out now.

Yeah, if any more teams leave, it's going to be a challenge to keep the AQ. I think we'd have to share it: imagine a playoff with the MWC. Or imagine a system where non BCS conferences have a 4 team play off for a BCS bid. It would probably end up being more popular than one or two of the conference championships, particularly, the ACC. But a playoff game between the MWC and the BE for the bid would be an interesting counterpart to the conference championship games that others have. Bingo.

Reaction Score
Yeah, if any more teams leave, it's going to be a challenge to keep the AQ. I think we'd have to share it: imagine a playoff with the MWC. Or imagine a system where non BCS conferences have a 4 team play off for a BCS bid. It would probably end up being more popular than one or two of the conference championships, particularly, the ACC. But a playoff game between the MWC and the BE for the bid would be an interesting counterpart to the conference championship games that others have. Bingo.

Obviously I want to maintain the BCS bid or jump to a BCS conference, but that is a pretty darn good idea! I think that is a good idea regardless of what happens. Have a 4 team playoff even between the MAC,WAC, Conference USA, and MWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom