Recruits at Awards dinner Friday night | The Boneyard

Recruits at Awards dinner Friday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Article from Des in Courant that we had some recruits at the awards dinner with incoming QB Davis there as well as 4 DE prospects (3 at 6'5" and one 6'4") as well as 2 OL prospects. Have we recruited this way in the past? I like the height and lean body type at DE hopefully bringing more speed to the position as well as ability to get off blocks. Wasn't real happy with the 3-4 and the inability to contain as well as rush the QB. First positive of the off season for me.

Reaction Score
I don't think we are going to sacks with the 3-4. No Trevardo Williams mindset. Some pieces of the 3-4 were pretty good.

Reaction Score
jdb50 said:
Article from Des in Courant that we had some recruits at the awards dinner with incoming QB Davis there as well as 4 DE prospects (3 at 6'5" and one 6'4") as well as 2 OL prospects. Have we recruited this way in the past? I like the height and lean body type at DE hopefully bringing more speed to the position as well as ability to get off blocks. Wasn't real happy with the 3-4 and the inability to contain as well as rush the QB. First positive of the off season for me.

3-4 had nothing to do with the lack of pressure. The lack of pants rushers and refusal to blitz were the cause.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
While the gameday planning was suspect at best, there is a very clear recruiting plan. Recruit large frames and use our world-class facilities to beef them up into NFL sized bodies when our guys are JR and SRs. I'm very excited (and anxious) about our 2015 class and am looking forward to seeing the plan play out over the next few years. It might not reap immediate rewards in terms of 2015 wins. But there's definitely a very clear plan for the direction that Diaco and staff want to take this program.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
While the gameday planning was suspect at best, there is a very clear recruiting plan. Recruit large frames and use our world-class facilities to beef them up into NFL sized bodies when our guys are JR and SRs. I'm very excited (and anxious) about our 2015 class and am looking forward to seeing the plan play out over the next few years. It might not reap immediate rewards in terms of 2015 wins. But there's definitely a very clear plan for the direction that Diaco and staff want to take this program.

I'm actually a bit worried about the recruiting plan. They seem to be concentrating on size over speed.

Reaction Score
Excalibur said:
I'm actually a bit worried about the recruiting plan. They seem to be concentrating on size over speed.

I disagree. I think they plan on moving players down a position, so that their athleticism will be a strength at new spot. I think a ton of these kids will end up at different positions.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
AAAHHHH we have no pants rushers!!!!

Wait where can we recruit a pants rusher?

E.O. Smith probably has a few knuckleheads prowling the locker room who would be perfect for this.

Reaction Score
The following recruits where at awards night:

Tyler Hudanick 6'5" 300lbs DT
Nolan Ulizio 6'6" 280 lbs OT
Tyler Davis 6'3" 214 lbs QB
Luke Ancrum 6'5" 230 lbs DE
Derek Watson 6'4" 225 lbs DE
Dallas Parker 6'5" 230 lbs DE
Kirk Livingstone6'4" 235 lbs DE

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I disagree. I think they plan on moving players down a position, so that their athleticism will be a strength at new spot. I think a ton of these kids will end up at different positions.

What @huskysupporter said. Get the bulk early if that's the recruiting plan. We can find speed at key positions. Plus I think we're banking on our S&C program to pick up an extra few steps in 40 times.

Reaction Score
The following recruits where at awards night:

Tyler Hudanick 6'5" 300lbs DT
Nolan Ulizio 6'6" 280 lbs OT
Tyler Davis 6'3" 214 lbs QB
Luke Ancrum 6'5" 230 lbs DE
Derek Watson 6'4" 225 lbs DE
Dallas Parker 6'5" 230 lbs DE
Kirk Livingstone6'4" 235 lbs DE

Coach D is sticking to his strategy in recruiting with big dudes.

<from 2014 recruting class>
Diaco, like most coaches, likes big teams and big-looking teams. And look for trend to continue.

"With a month of recruiting when you need to add more players, there's a lot less risk when you add a big guy," Diaco said. "You know you've got a big guy. There's not as much risk as when you add a skill player that you haven't had the [time] to be with and around. If a player like that doesn't work out what can they do? If a guy 6-5, 275 pounds isn't exactly like we want him to be he still has great service to the team.

"And if you just sheer have a bigger, stronger team, not that you're going to achieve all your goals but you have a good chance to win a lot of individual matchups if you're bigger. That's what we chose — and we tried to choose guys that would reflect nicely our culture we're creating,"

http://articles.courant.com/2014-02...140203_1_bob-diaco-paul-pasqualoni-ball-state

Reaction Score
Coach D is sticking to his strategy in recruiting with big dudes.

<from 2014 recruting class>
Diaco, like most coaches, likes big teams and big-looking teams. And look for trend to continue.

"With a month of recruiting when you need to add more players, there's a lot less risk when you add a big guy," Diaco said. "You know you've got a big guy. There's not as much risk as when you add a skill player that you haven't had the [time] to be with and around. If a player like that doesn't work out what can they do? If a guy 6-5, 275 pounds isn't exactly like we want him to be he still has great service to the team.

"And if you just sheer have a bigger, stronger team, not that you're going to achieve all your goals but you have a good chance to win a lot of individual matchups if you're bigger. That's what we chose — and we tried to choose guys that would reflect nicely our culture we're creating,"

http://articles.courant.com/2014-02...140203_1_bob-diaco-paul-pasqualoni-ball-state

and again.

"They key is, if you're UConn and you don't win games, you're not going to win the hearts of the four- or five-star ballplayers right now," Lemming said. "So what you do is make sure your coaching staff is out there working their butts off to find athletes that are going to develop into four- or five-star type-players while the big schools don't take a chance on them. Barry Alvarez did that at Wisconsin, Kirk Ferentz did it at Iowa. They turned around programs that were struggling, and they turned them around by evaluating and developing.

"There's no secret, genius coach out there ... you win with impact players. If you can't get them outright, you get ones that have the potential to be an impact player and develop them, and that comes down to very, very strenuous and hard-working recruiters that know how to get there and get the job done."

Brian Dohn, the northeast recruiting analyst for Scout.com, said you can't compare this round of recruiting to any other at UConn, but he sees the path Diaco is following.

"He's done a good job assembling guys that have certain characteristics: big frames, athletic but need to grow into their bodies a little more or need to develop physically," Dohn said. "I've seen a lot of the players, and there's a lot of talent there. It's a class heavy on projection, and I mean that in a good way. You look at a kid like Tyler Davis who I've seen a few times. He throws a good ball. Refine his mechanics a little bit, get him stronger and he could have really good arm strength.

http://articles.courant.com/2014-07...uconn-coach-bob-diaco-star-rating-tom-lemming

Reaction Score
3-4 had nothing to do with the lack of pressure. The lack of pants rushers and refusal to blitz were the cause.
I was under the impression that a 3-4 was to give the 4th rusher the element of surprise as it could come from any of the 4 LBs. Otherwise what's the point? Just to play 8 off the line to stop a passing attack that you give all day to throw in?

Reaction Score
If you look at the incoming class the opposite is true. The 2015 signing day group is huge. I hope they recruit speed a some point.

Reaction Score
Article from Des in Courant that we had some recruits at the awards dinner with incoming QB Davis there as well as 4 DE prospects (3 at 6'5" and one 6'4") as well as 2 OL prospects. Have we recruited this way in the past?

Seemed to work eh?

Next big visit date is January 23rd when a number of the current "commits" seem to be on campus.

Reaction Score
Seemed to work eh?

Next big visit date is January 23rd when a number of the current "commits" seem to be on campus.

Any word on who is going to be here who is still undecided?

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that a 3-4 was to give the 4th rusher the element of surprise as it could come from any of the 4 LBs. Otherwise what's the point? Just to play 8 off the line to stop a passing attack that you give all day to throw in?

We mostly sent Stewart, 6' and when he ran into the tackle it was a huge mismatch, they got their hands on him and locked him up. Rushing guys that are 6'4"' to 6'5'', keep them lean and fast and we may get there more often. Think of guys like Irvin on WVU who is having a decent pro career and I hope that is the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom