Recruitment vs development | The Boneyard

Recruitment vs development

Reaction Score
Hail to SC for this year, Dawn has obviously won the recruitment for this year. Now, let’s see who win the development battle for future WBB supemency. I contend the development battle will determine future supemency, we will have to wait at least two years to see exactly how Dawn’s player development affects WBB supemecy.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hail to SC for this year, Dawn has obviously won the recruitment for this year. Now, let’s see who win the development battle for future WBB supemency. I contend the development battle will determine future supemency, we will have to wait at least two years to see exactly how Dawn’s player development affects WBB supemecy.

Dawn does a good job developing players IMO. Look at how improvement we saw from players like Mitchell, Wilson, and Cuevas-Moore over their time at SC. Her teams never seem very strong offensively, so I think the challenge will be developing an effective offensive system. She has the horses, let's see if she can execute though.

Reaction Score
I like your take on SC. As I watched a replay of the MD/SC game, I was struck by the lack of footwork by the SC bigs. Granted Jennings is still recovering, but Herbert Herrigan and the others seem to lack a basic drop step. I know nothing about Boston’s play but, in terms of development, passing on CD’s tutelage seems a bad move.

Similarly with Harris the guard I was really surprised by her play. She appears to be where she was her first year still. We’ll see...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with youpost but your timing is off.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with youpost but your timing is off.
Guess I do not understand, I believe it is clear SC is going to have number 1 recruitment class this year so are you saying timing issue is associated with development, if so when would be a proper time to post about development?

Reaction Score
I like your take on SC. As I watched a replay of the MD/SC game, I was struck by the lack of footwork by the SC bigs. Granted Jennings is still recovering, but Herbert Herrigan and the others seem to lack a basic drop step. I know nothing about Boston’s play but, in terms of development, passing on CD’s tutelage seems a bad move.

Similarly with Harris the guard I was really surprised by her play. She appears to be where she was her first year still. We’ll see...

Unfortunately all but one (so far) of the players UConn recruited this year seem to feel they can manage just fine without UConn's excellent tutelage...............who knows, maybe we'll see a few more Azura Stevens types transferring in after suffering from buyer's remorse in the coming years

Reaction Score
Hail to SC for this year, Dawn has obviously won the recruitment for this year. Now, let’s see who win the development battle for future WBB supemency. I contend the development battle will determine future supemency, we will have to wait at least two years to see exactly how Dawn’s player development affects WBB supremacy.
Geno has said often in the past: Recruiting top players makes any coach look good. Recruitment is huge. Diana, Maya, Stewie were seen in HS as difference makers and they filled that role at Uconn. Diana, Stewie had exceptional supporting casts (mostly) Maya somewhat less. The one characteristic true among them: When the game was on the line each put their team on their back and took over the games.
I'm out on a limb here (I'm no stat reviewer) from memory I can't come up with an NC won without a number one recruit in the lead.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guess I do not understand, I believe it is clear SC is going to have number 1 recruitment class this year so are you saying timing issue is associated with development, if so when would be a proper time to post about development?
Maybe give UConn fans a while after they've lost a top recruit to South Carolina before you start asking UConn fans to discuss the Gamecock's recruiting class objectively. It's been all of 15 hours.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Unfortunately all but one (so far) of the players UConn recruited this year seem to feel they can manage just fine without UConn's excellent tutelage.....who knows, maybe we'll see a few more Azura Stevens types transferring in after suffering from buyer's remorse in the coming years
I think that when the biased NCAA finally gets rid of the 1 year sit out requirement (wasn't this supposed to happen this past summer???), transferring among players will probably increase, especially among WNBA wannabes. For example, how many Elite HS players are committed to next season's SC team? Isn't it 5? So they will be competing with this year's non senior players for playing time and accolades. Some may become discouraged especially if their goals are selfish, meaning more concerned about getting to the WNBA than getting a couple NCs.

Reaction Score
Maybe give UConn fans a while after they've lost a top recruit to South Carolina before you start asking UConn fans to discuss the Gamecock's recruiting class objectively. It's been all of 15 hours.
I am taken aback by the notion that this loss is that large and spells doom. Of course it would have been nice to have her but our team has a lot of talent now and for the next few years. Nan, be of good cheer today. You deserve it.

Reaction Score
I understand but one recruit does not make or break a team, you guys have always had an elite team and I expect that to continue because of your development of players. WBB is becoming more competitive and overall that is great for the sport. I imagine Geno is anxious for the challenge!

Reaction Score
I understand but one recruit does not make or break a team, you guys have always had an elite team and I expect that to continue because of your development of players. WBB is becoming more competitive and overall that is great for the sport. I imagine Geno is anxious for the challenge!

We are a spoiled lot for sure but the loss of Boston is extra painful because she's from the immediate area and is just the kind of player that UConn desperately needed......................many assumed she was a sure bet so you can understand the disappointment.....................we have concerns about the lack of size and depth of this year's team and then to think that two All-Americans are leaving makes next year's team look weaker and paper thin..................so sure they will still be a good team but a far more flawed team the most are used to in recent years........

Reaction Score
Geno has said often in the past: Recruiting top players makes any coach look good. Recruitment is huge. Diana, Maya, Stewie were seen in HS as difference makers and they filled that role at Uconn. Diana, Stewie had exceptional supporting casts (mostly) Maya somewhat less. The one characteristic true among them: When the game was on the line each put their team on their back and took over the games.
I'm out on a limb here (I'm no stat reviewer) from memory I can't come up with an NC won without a number one recruit in the lead.
How about ND last year?

Reaction Score
Read the replies, and I thought this was debating which coaches are better recruiters vs developers based off the title. Sad it didn't go that way

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom