Recruiting | The Boneyard

Recruiting

C

Chief00

Can anyone on this staff recruit for 2019 besides Corey and Wholley?
All recruits thus far from CT and TX.

Reaction Score
There is sort of a strange silence from Crocker for his whole tenure, I’ll give ya that

Don’t see anything from Dunn either. Neither Coordinator has a significant recruiting social media profile.

Reaction Score
Don’t see anything from Dunn either. Neither Coordinator has a significant recruiting social media profile.
I wonder if it's part of a pitch... Players really don't spend that much time with their offensive coordinators. Building a relationship with your position coach is a much bigger deal. That's the guy who is giving you constant feedback and wants to see you succeed the most.

C

Chief00

Am I incorrect to say - we are behind where we should be at this point?

C

Chief00

Lashlee seemed to have some involvement when he was here. How is recruiting not part of every coach’s job in some way, unless you are some kind of x and o guru?

Reaction Score

We had 7 commits this point last year w/ more scholarships to fill than this year. We have one more camp in July.

Reaction Score
Lashlee seemed to have some involvement when he was here. How is recruiting not part of every coach’s job in some way, unless you are some kind of x and o guru?

I didn’t say they weren’t involved - I said they don’t have a significant social media presence so you can’t make the assumption they aren’t involved in the evaluation process.

The unsung hero in recruiting is the Director of Player Personnel Michael Zyskowski.

Reaction Score
We had 7 commits this point last year w/ more scholarships to fill than this year. We have one more camp in July.
do we have an updated available scholarship number?

Reaction Score
do we have an updated available scholarship number?

I haven’t seen the hard number but there have been numerous references in reports from the beat guys that there is less available than last year. I’ll see if I can find the reference (most likely Fuller/Anthony).

@Exit 4 may have his projection off his spreadsheet.

Edit: Found the reference I was referring to:

>>One trend that Edsall is looking to continue is to get commitments from players who attend the UConn football camp. The first two camps of 2018 were held on June 3 and 9 and within 10 days of the second camp, the Huskies had commitments from Ridgefield receiver Jackson Mitchell, Desoto (Texas) tight end Jayce Medlock, Salisbury School receiver/defensive back Winston Jules and Arlington (Texas) Martin offensive lineman Chase Lundt. Camps No. 3 and 4 are set for Friday and Sunday so it would not be at all surprising to see more commitments coming even in a year when UConn will have a limited number of scholarships to hand out.<<

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We have eight graduating seniors. But we also have 7 or 8 unfilled scholarships going into this fall, so we are looking at a class of 16 before we look at graduating red shirt juniors and transfers. My guess is that we get to a class of 20 when all said and done.

It’s very frustrating, but I think the staff has been trying to raise the recruiting expectations up a bar and just haven’t had the success yet. There are a lot of interesting kids it seems we could get, but I can understand the staff holding back a bit at this hour as they want to save slots for those surprising / late blooming seniors. Last year there were hundreds of kids with little junior tape, but great senior tape.

An interesting QB Crocker started following is Drew Gunther out of PA. 6'3'' Pro style QB. Has interest from WV, Syracuse, Temple and others, but I dont think any FBS offers just yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have eight graduating seniors. But we also have 7 or 8 unfilled scholarships going into this fall, so we are looking at a class of 16 before we look at graduating red shirt juniors and transfers. My guess is that we get to a class of 20 when all said and done.

It’s very frustrating, but I think the staff has been trying to raise the recruiting expectations up a bar and just haven’t had the success yet. There are a lot of interesting kids it seems we could get, but I can understand the staff holding back a bit at this hour as they want to save slots for those surprising / late blooming seniors. Last year there were hundreds of kids with little junior tape, but great senior tape.

An interesting QB Crocker started following is Drew Gunther out of PA. 6'3'' Pro style QB. Has interest from WV, Syracuse, Temple and others, but I dont think any FBS offers just yet.

I can see why he's following him. Quick release, nice touch on some difficult passes, and he completed every pass..........

C

Chief00

It’s great being a team player on the coaching staff, and I know they have regions they specialize in; however perhaps Crocker should focus more on recruiting defensive players. His unit was well, terrible last season and he needs to turn it around fast.

Reaction Score
An interesting QB Crocker started following is Drew Gunther out of PA.
They all look good when they have an OL in front of them. Playing at UConn where they might or might not is another story. ;) Otherwise he looks great.

I enjoy your perspective, though, Exit 4.

Reaction Score
I agree we should be more aggressive we can get some talent but I think we lowered our standards. Losing yeah kids don’t want to come but you need to have a great sales pitch. We need kids that want to turn this program around

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You can verbal commit any time.
You are correct just as one can hypothesize at any time - lucky you!!!!!!!
Kidding around with you Chief00

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom