Recruiting watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am certainly nervous about Diamond. She has visited Tenn a couple times, but the again, it isn't that far from GA. I'm guessing if she was a Tenn lean, Geno would back off and focus on other recruits.
It seems she has completed a lot of visits over the last 2 years. I thought she would have made a decision by now.

Reaction Score
Hey, all these girls need to see all their teams play as much as possible. Plus, its not a bad drive from Ga to Tenn for a weekend.........Britney Griner is a good reason to go watch this game........What did they learn?.....Tenn still cannot play and win against Top 10 teams.........Even at home........

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I ask because I did, too, what were your reactions to Pat's situation on the sideline. I felt she looked entirely lost at times and am afraid that her dementia is further progressed than we may have thought.

Reaction Score
I ask because I did, too, what were your reactions to Pat situation on the sideline. I felt she looked entirely lost and am afraid that her dementia is further progressed than we may have thought.

Oh please, can we stop with trying to diagnose people by watching them for 30 seconds on TV.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oh please, can we stop with trying to diagnose people by watching them for 30 seconds on TV.
It wasn't thirty seconds. It was behavior throughout the whole game and interpersonal interactions. And I am talking strictly observable behavior. Sorry you don't like but it is a professional skill and repeatable. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean I or other professionals can't. There are clear patterns of behavior involved, especially, changes from previous behaviors.

Unfortunately, I am immersed in this once again with three different families in the congregation who are dealing with this horrible disease. Pat's status has helped to bring some needed attention to the issue once again.

Reaction Score
It wasn't thirty seconds. It was behavior throughout the whole game ....

I assume your extended observations must have come from the special Pat-cam that ESPN had on her. Or do your super powers also allow you to observe what's not on the screen too?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I assume your extended observations must have come from the special Pat-cam that ESPN had on her. Or do your super powers also allow you to observe what's not on the screen too?
Don't be silly. There were plenty of shots of the team and indirectly her during timeouts and on the sidelines throughout the game. She was not central to what was going on. That is a change. Even more than during the tournaments last year. Others here, also, noted the shift to DeMoss and Holvick(?) Pat is not the dominant central force she has been from what I could see. It was, also, why I was asking for others observations.

Reaction Score
No need to worry.......Recruits are always taking visits , official and unofficial. And many end up going someplace else. Reimer for instance, has been to many campuses across the country but will sign with only one(1) eventually. Hopefully its with our beloved UConn. Same with Diamond , she's been seen on many campuses , both Official , and on Unofficial visits. She's been polishing her skills and smiles, but again i hope she decides to do her Shining in a Husky uniform.

all their visits have been unofficial.. cant take a official visit till your are a senior in high school

Reaction Score
It seems she has completed a lot of visits over the last 2 years. I thought she would have made a decision by now.

Why? I believe that Diamond said she was taking her time and would not a decision until late in 2012.

Reaction Score
She was not central to what was going on. That is a change.

I see. So based on this change, you've diagnosed her with advanced dementia. Impressive.

This behavior is also consistent with someone who is about to retire and has begun transferring responsibilities.

But it's easier to spread negative speculation, eh?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I see. So based on this change, you've diagnosed her with advanced dementia. Impressive.

This behavior is also consistent with someone who is about to retire and has begun transferring responsibilities.

But it's easier to spread negative speculation, eh?
No, I did not place her in any diagnostic stage. I said it appeared to have changed and was more advanced, small "a.". That is certainly within the realm of observation.

Your explanation is another one but you probably should not further it without any evidence. As you say. Especially, since many have been projecting a three year curve towards that retirement.

Reaction Score
I did. I thought it was a terrific contest - pretty well-played.

Tenn played waaaayyyy beter than I expected (given the VA implosion). Baylor played welll (Sims less awesome than I anticipated - Griner good but not un-beatable). I mean, I'm REALLY LIKING our chances this year.

I agree. But I was left with two distinct impressions about TN.

First, the ran out of gas in the second half.

And second, as I recall, they only used seven (7) players.

Oh, thirdly, TN didn't double team BG as much in the 2nd half as they did in the first. BG tore them up in the 2nd half.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Kamiko starting? Ha. While I'd love to see it, I highly doubt it.
I bet it's Ariel (So), Spani (Sr), Burdick (So), Graves (Fr), Harrison (So). Or Simmons (Jr).
w/ Kamiko (Jr), Carter (Fr), Jones (Fr) on bench.

A decent starting 5, but not much on the bench.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Speaking of recruits, Mavunga's and Reimer's high school teams play tonight in Indiana. From Jim Fuller's blog:

Two UConn recruiting targets squaring off tonight

Highly-touted juniors Taya Reimer and Stephanie Mavunga will be the centers of attention when their teams meet today.

Reimer has led Hamilton Southeastern of Fishers, Ind. to a 5-0 start but the toughest test to date will come tonight at 7:30 p.m. when they travel to meet the Mavunga-led Brownsburg (Ind.) team.

While I was unable to locate season stats for Reimer, Mavunga is averaging 21.8 points (on 63 percent shooting), 10.2 rebounds and 3.6 blocked shots.

They were teammates on the U.S. U-16 national team as Mavunga averaged 10.6 points and 6.4 rebounds with Reimer contributing 4.8 and 5 rebounds as the United States squad swept through five games to win the FIBA Americas 16 title in June.

Reaction Score
Kamiko starting? Ha. While I'd love to see it, I highly doubt it.
I bet it's Ariel (So), Spani (Sr), Burdick (So), Graves (Fr), Harrison (So). Or Simmons (Jr).
w/ Kamiko (Jr), Carter (Fr), Jones (Fr) on bench.

A decent starting 5, but not much on the bench.
I agree that unless some super JUCO Center comes along,the starting 5 will be amongst those
6 with 3 off of the bench A young team with many questions and issues
I really like Spani/SR, I was very impressed with Ariel,Burdick,Graves in HS and summer ball
I had questions about Simmons last year and she has melted down so far this season
Harrison had not impressed me,but feel she is doing more than I had thought she would so far this season
Kamiko will be a red shirt JR coming off of ACL< I find it REALLY hard to believe she will play this year as posted by some on TN board Isn't Carter coming off of ACL
Very scary 9 for the mighty Volunteers WOW

Reaction Score
Speaking of recruits, Mavunga's and Reimer's high school teams play tonight in Indiana. From Jim Fuller's blog:

Two UConn recruiting targets squaring off tonight

Highly-touted juniors Taya Reimer and Stephanie Mavunga will be the centers of attention when their teams meet today.

Reimer has led Hamilton Southeastern of Fishers, Ind. to a 5-0 start but the toughest test to date will come tonight at 7:30 p.m. when they travel to meet the Mavunga-led Brownsburg (Ind.) team.

While I was unable to locate season stats for Reimer, Mavunga is averaging 21.8 points (on 63 percent shooting), 10.2 rebounds and 3.6 blocked shots.

They were teammates on the U.S. U-16 national team as Mavunga averaged 10.6 points and 6.4 rebounds with Reimer contributing 4.8 and 5 rebounds as the United States squad swept through five games to win the FIBA Americas 16 title in June.
Thanks for the update which I knew was scheduled for the early part of the season
I followed them during the summer and we do have them listed as recruits! Reimer has visited and we have an offer which I hope she accepts Mavunga very interesting prospect Look forward to hearing about the results of the game and where recruiting stands

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I expect next season to have some bumps in the road, as they all do, but I really like our team.

Massengale and Carter gives us a great 1-2 punch at the point guard spot that we haven't had for over a decade. Carter may be able to play some two as well. She is extrememly athletic.

Simmons and Williams is also a solid twosome at the shooting guard. I think Simmons is going to be fine. She's struggling to find her role on this team, but next year the seniors will be gone and we will need her to be a go-to player again. Williams has rehabbed like crazy. She may come back this year, and I doubt she will be 100 percent. But I think there will be little to no hangover with the injury next year.

Spani has improved greatly and if she can stay healty, she could be the star of this team. She's shown she can shoot the ball, and that's a role we'll always need, but even more than Angie and Zolman before her, she can create her own shot and take it to the rim. I

Burdick can play the 3 and 4. She's surprised me with how good of a perimeter player she is. I think Hoopgurlz has a history of trying to project lots of bigs as guards, but Burdick really does have a unique combination of size and skill. She's an excellent ballhandler, passer, and shooter. However, I think she will start out the year at the four. It will give us a lot of 4 out, 1 in looks like Uconn has this year.

Jones and Graves must come prepared to contribute. I expect Jones to backup Spani and Burdick, and Graves to back up Burdick and Harrison. Graves may even start at the five, but I'll reserve my expectations until I read reports of her once she's on campus and see her play with my own two eyes. They appear to both be very athletic and aggressive in the paint. I'm not sure how well Jones can play the 3, but we'll see. We could go with a 3 guard look, or like I said, Burdick can slide up easily.

Harrison's continued development will be key. I've been surprised with her play so far this year. She is long and athletic, and if she can start finishing down low, she'll be great. I think we definintely need another big body to take some of the load off of her though. Montout or Ugoka would provide just that, and I'll be excited to see us sign one or both of them. As with freshmen, you won't really know what they can bring until they get on campus, but I think our staff will filter through all of the juco ranks until they find the one they think will be the best fit.

If we sign one juco, we'll have 10. That starting five is solid and should be battle tested after this year. We just need 2 or 3 of the newcomers to be able to contribute off the bench. It will actually be kind of nice to have an established rotation, where fans aren't left wondering if one of the stars on the bench could've helped us more.

Reaction Score
Do teenagers think like your analysis?
If I were DD, I would look at how the frosh are treated at each program. At UConn, KML has been anointed as the savior by the fans and media (some, not all, obviously) but Geno has tried his best to keep expectations reasonable and doesn't even start her, much less put pressure on her to be the team's top performer.

At UT, Massengale was already anointed as the new starting PG before she set foot on campus. That's a lot of pressure. I think she is talented, but so far her numbers haven't backed up Pat's "Next Big Thing" label. If she were allowed to sit on the bench the first three or four minutes, like KML, see the pace of the game and where she can assert herself, she might be better.

Last season, Bria and Stef were needed to play big chunks of minutes and contribute a lot, but that has been followed up this year by starting positions and Geno's earned respect. He does nothing but praise Stef, and although he gets on Bria it is obviously coming from a place of admiration for her skills.

Simmons, on the other hand, was anointed last year as the savior and this year doesn't get nearly the minutes she did last year, and isn't in at crunch time of big games. A very confused sophomore if there ever was one. Pat rushed to bring her along, played her out of position and is now letting her watch Massengale from the bench.

To me, it's a no-brainer for Diamond. Promising kids playing times and starting roles? I would be verrrrrrry suspicious.

Reaction Score
I ask because I did, too, what were your reactions to Pat's situation on the sideline. I felt she looked entirely lost at times and am afraid that her dementia is further progressed than we may have thought.
The resident alchemist (psychologist) speaks? :D

Reaction Score
Burdick will be the jewel in the LV Crown. I'v seen this kid play. She is Aces! You all got a goodn'.
Burdick can play the 3 and 4. She's surprised me with how good of a perimeter player she is. I think Hoopgurlz has a history of trying to project lots of bigs as guards, but Burdick really does have a unique combination of size and skill. She's an excellent ballhandler, passer, and shooter. However, I think she will start out the year at the four. It will give us a lot of 4 out, 1 in looks like Uconn has this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom