Recruiting Territory | The Boneyard

Recruiting Territory

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Hurley and his assistants are primarily recruiting kids from the Northeast I 95 Corridor.

I understand Hurley has many contacts up in these parts and there are great players up here but if we ever want to be taken seriously again we must recruit nationally like the big boys. We are not a regional program.

Our strength during the Calhoun empire was recruiting nationally and internationally. Now I just follow recruiting based on what a lot of you post and what I read on various sites so I'm not an insider but does anyone have any insight about what we are doing?

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Hurley and his assistants are primarily recruiting kids from the Northeast I 95 Corridor.

I understand Hurley has many contacts up in these parts and there are great players up here but if we ever want to be taken seriously again we must recruit nationally like the big boys. We are not a regional program.

Our strength during the Calhoun empire was recruiting nationally and internationally. Now I just follow recruiting based on what a lot of you post and what I read on various sites so I'm not an insider but does anyone have any insight about what we are doing?
Gotta lock down the region first. It's not like we are in Idaho, our region is rich with talent, there will be plenty of 5 star guys that play in Mass, CT, NJ and NY. The more we lockdown our region, the less chance a Kentucky has at Hamidouing us next time there is a 5 star close to us

Reaction Score
Hurley stated in his opening presser that he wanted to recruit regionally at first and hired a staff that would succeed in doing so. We'll recruit nationally again once we start winning and making the tournament again.

But, UConn is situated in a talent-rich area as it relates to basketball. If we only ever recruited regionally it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. We already have a top 20 class with guys just from CT, MA and NJ.

Reaction Score

Establishing contacts, locking down your region. If any school was able to get all the top kids from New England and the metro area they would probably win the title every year.

Reaction Score
Got to be good at home first. Look what NY and Mass has done for us in the past. Then pick off addition players through out the county. But don't forget the DMV. We will have enough options but got to lock in early and close the players we want and we have legitimate shots at.

Reaction Score
Got to be good at home first. Look what NY and Mass has done for us in the past. Then pick off addition players through out the county. But don't forget the DMV. We will have enough options but got to lock in early and close the players we want and we have legitimate shots at.
Using Cam Thomas as an example, he would be an unbelievable addition to the program, but I don't think you can build a program around recruits like him. There is always a risk that a UNC/Duke swoops in because he's a nationally recruited guy. Lay the foundation with local guys then go after the national guys. Because if you miss on the Cam Thomas' AND don't have your local regions covered thats when you settle for random 3 stars and there is no consistency to your recruiting. Thats kinda what KO did toward the end

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Locking down the northeast means having a stable of core players. You can then focus on difference makers wherever you may find them.

We aren't going to Washington to find a Donnie Marshall at this moment in the program. We don't have those resources any longer. Win and those guys will find us.

Reaction Score

When Calhoun started, he went after In-State kids, then branched out. Granted it's way more different now, then what it was in 1986. I think Hurley has the right idea, to get Regional kids first, then as the program improves, make the jump to national recruiting. Baby steps boys and girls.........................

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn attracted nationwide talent in the heyday because of the BE as reason 1a and Calhoun 1b
The AAC is not the original BE and until the program starts becoming a consistent winner and dancer beyond the round of 32, it will be hard to attract the better players.
I think the talent level will improve very soon.
The league is getting stronger and that helps a ton

Reaction Score
We need to treat it like the U did with Football in under Howard Schnellenberger put a wall around the region and get the best players so no one else comes in. Once we do that we can plunder and pillage the country.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
1553952235993.gif

Reaction Score
Boston, New York, New Jersey, Philly, to about DC. That is our kitchen. Throw in an occasional kid from SC/Georgia/Florida. There is plenty enough talent in these areas to reach Final Fours.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We aren't landing national/international studs in year 1 and 2 of a major rebuild.
Or year 3 or 4.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Somewhere in Europe there’s kids with 3-4 star talent that watched/followed Niels Giffeys championship career at UConn.

Reaction Score
I suppose it’s possible that Hurley is laying the pipe. What’s that got to do with recruiting?
hurley and j.r. smith are well acquainted, nevertheless

Reaction Score
Players are going to have to take a chance on Hurley like they did with Calhoun in the early days. They will be rewarded I believe just like many of Calhoun’s players were.

Reaction Score
Not focusing on recruiting the Northeast/Mid Atlantic would be analogous to University of Texas football not focusing on local players and hoping to compete with Alabama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom