recruiting rankings | The Boneyard

recruiting rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are recruiting rankings such as espn,247,rivals,etc...based on a player's nba potential or actual skill level? I feel like they should have 2 ranking systems. One for college potential (where skill set is weighted more) and one for nba potential (where athletic ability is weighted more). Tevin mack is a top 5 player at his position skill wise. Why is derrick jones ranked higher than him? Derrick jones will not be better than tevin mack in college. I feel like players like derrick jones and stanley robinson are vastly overrated on these rankings because of their athletic ability. Alot of these "5 star" recruits never pan out because they have trouble developing their skill set. Jalen Adams is another example. He has a much better all around game and more advanced skill set than justin simon (5 star going to arizona). I admit simon is more likely to go to the nba. But if I was a college basketball coach and want to win championships, I'm going with jalen.

Reaction Score
This is an age old question. I've seen the recruiting analysts answer this question many times. The general consensus is that the ranking is based some on pro potential, some on current skills and production and some on impact in college. But I agree that they do give a lot of weight to pro potential. But as they'll tell you, they are ranking on projecting what the recruit will become. Usually that impact in college and a potential pro career are similar, but not always. Usually size has a lot to do with it. El-Amin was ranked pretty highly but would have been even higher if he was taller and his body type was more lean. Jeff Adrien would have been ranked higher if he wasn't listed at 6-6 as a PF in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom