Recruiting Question | The Boneyard

Recruiting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kentucky Head Coach Matthew Mitchell recently spoke at Riverdale High School's (Murfreesboro, TN) basketball banquet to celebrate its mythical (espn) nat'l championship. Kentucky has offered a scholarship to and is recruiting Riverdale guard Alexa Middleton (2014, # 21 Hoopgurlz). The NCAA recruiting calendar says this is a quiet period, which means "a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools." BTW, the NCAA says that "a contact occurs any time a college coach says more than hello during a face-to-face contact with a college-bound student-athlete or his or her parents off the college’s campus."

I'm sure its possible (and indeed probable) that Mitchell did not say more than "hello" to Alexa or Mr and Mrs Middleton. Did he violate the NCAA's rule by visiting her high school? It sure seems that way.

Mitchell strikes me as a guy who pushes the envelope when it comes to recruiting, though he's certainly not alone. Regardless of what you think of the NCAA's rule book, did he cross the line here?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What's also interesting is why did they invite Mitchell, instead of Holly Warlick. Surely she would have found a way to attend. Also Melanie Balcomb from Vandy would be another option and she's less then 30 minutes away by car.

I'd bet that Mitchell contacted the school and offered to speak at no expense to the school. Another possibility is the Principal or someone else in the school's administration is a graduate of Kentucky.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What's also interesting is why did they invite Mitchell, instead of Holly Warlick. Surely she would have found a way to attend. Also Melanie Balcomb from Vandy would be another option and she's less then 30 minutes away by car.

I'd bet that Mitchell contacted the school and offered to speak at no expense to the school. Another possibility is the Principal or someone else in the school's administration is a graduate of Kentucky.

The Riverdale HS coach has a connection to the Insell family, including former Kentucky asst coach (now UMiss Head Coach) Matt Insell. Perhaps this was arranged by Insell before he took the Miss job.

Maybe Mitchell arrived by helicopter.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One would (could) hope that this was cleared before he did it.

It may be a gray area, provided he didn't speak to her personally.

They make exceptions, at times. I have seen coaches (on TV) in the stands at an opponent game for a special recognition (rare, but happens), however, for example, Maryland would not permit Kay Yow to be in the stands when she was at the Jimmy V women's game (RU/Maryland) and the NCAA had someone there to enforce her stay in a back office during the game, as in person scouting is prohibited by the NCAA.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn avoids having its program provide benefits to any high school, even if it's not a basketball team or one where UConn is currently recruiting a player. For example, I asked UConn Compliance for something to raffle item for my son's high school marching band. I was advised that it is against UConn's policy to provide anything that might benefit high school students that are or who might be UConn recruits. It's maybe overkill but it seems the UConn Compliance Office is going out of its way to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. You'd think other schools would be thinking along the same lines.

But then again, it's Kentucky.

UK athletics’ self-reported NCAA violations in 2011-12
Kentucky Basketball: How NCAA's Investigation of Nerlens Noel Hurts Cats
N.C.A.A. Is Looking Into Former Kentucky Player
Kentucky discovers NCAA football violations
NCAA Championship 2012: Will Kentucky's John Calipari Get to Keep the Crown?
Two violations linked to former staff member

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey better cancel her speeches at the commencement ceremonies at Turner's and Wilson's schools. I don't want her to EVER be mixed up in a recruiting scandal.

Maybe she can just send text messages instead.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just remember one thing, compliance offices have a dual roll - to prevent anyone from crossing the line AND to interpret that line as liberally as the NCAA will let them.

And that comes from someone who was the compliance administrator for an athletic conference, not some schmoo trying to get an advantage for their school. Just recognizing what it is.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wasn't Memphis under investigation when Calipari was there? If so, issues follow him like stink follows a skunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom