Recruiting question | The Boneyard

Recruiting question

Reaction Score
Will someone please explain to me the early signing period. I see two potential top recruits are making decisions the next few days but many on ESPN Top 100 are already committed. What's with early signing if most are already signed. Thanks

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The early signing period is from Nov 14th to Nov 21st. During this time, a recruit can sign a National Letter of Intent (NLI). The letter is binding, meaning that a recruit has a penalty if they change their mind after signing the NLI (usually they must sit out a year if they transfer). Presently, the women who are listed as being committed have only given their verbal commitment, which is NOT binding. During the aforementioned early signing period, a recruit that signs an NLI is guaranteed an academic scholarship for the following year, and the school is guaranteed that the recruit cannot sign on with a different school without said penalty.

If a student athlete does not sign during the early signing period, they must wait until the end of spring to sign a NLI (or decide not to sign one at all, although this is exceedingly rare).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
FYI, both Shoni Schimmel and Sabrina Ionescu announced very, very late, about June just before or after their high school graduation. This is very rare, but obviously does happen. I don't expect any of these from elite prospects this year, but it could happen.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think it's covered above, but nobody is actually signed yet, but most of the top 100 have verbally committed.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think it's covered above, but nobody is actually signed yet, but most of the top 100 have verbally committed.
yeah,"verbally committed" and "signed" gets some confused

Reaction Score
The early signing period is from Nov 14th to Nov 21st. During this time, a recruit can sign a National Letter of Intent (NLI). The letter is binding, meaning that a recruit has a penalty if they change their mind after signing the NLI (usually they must sit out a year if they transfer). Presently, the women who are listed as being committed have only given their verbal commitment, which is NOT binding. During the aforementioned early signing period, a recruit that signs an NLI is guaranteed an academic scholarship for the following year, and the school is guaranteed that the recruit cannot sign on with a different school without said penalty.

If a student athlete does not sign during the early signing period, they must wait until the end of spring to sign a NLI (or decide not to sign one at all, although this is exceedingly rare).
I assume one a verbal is made it is rare they sign with a different program...... Correct?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I assume one a verbal is made it is rare they sign with a different program. Correct?
Usually not. I cannot even think of a student athlete that signed a letter of intent and then reneged before at least enrolling in the school. The closest to violate that was probably Elena Della Donne, who showed up at UConn and left before classes even started (I believe). There was a player (Jannah Tucker) at Tennessee that never showed up a few years ago, but she was a victim of domestic assault and she eventually enrolled at Villanova after sitting out a year. Tennessee granted her her release.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I assume one a verbal is made it is rare they sign with a different program. Correct?
It happens roughly about 2-3 times per class (per year) among the top 100 players.
In the 2018 class at least these players changed their verbal commitments:
Charli Collier: Texas, UCONN- Texas
Sedona Prince: Texas-Open-Texas
Zarielle Green: Kansas-Tennessee
Jenna Brown-ND-Stanford

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Usually not. I cannot even think of a student athlete that signed a letter of intent and then reneged before at least enrolling in the school. The closest to violate that was probably Elena Della Donne, who showed up at UConn and left before classes even started (I believe). There was a player (Jannah Tucker) at Tennessee that never showed up a few years ago, but she was a victim of domestic assault and she eventually enrolled at Villanova after sitting out a year. Tennessee granted her her release.
Jannah actually played at TN for a while before transferring- she was not fully recovered from the violence.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
It happens roughly about 2-3 times per class (per year) among the top 100 players.
In the 2018 class at least these players changed their verbal commitments:
Charli Collier: Texas, UCONN- Texas
Sedona Prince: Texas-Open-Texas
Zarielle Green: Kansas-Tennessee
Jenna Brown-ND-Stanford
Oops, I misread the question! Thanks for correcting me, Coco.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Jannah actually played at TN for a while before transferring- she was not fully recovered from the violence.
You're correct: LINK "After sitting out as a freshman, Tucker played only two games as a sophomore before hurting her knee again." She later transferred to Villanova.

Reaction Score
Will someone please explain to me the early signing period. I see two potential top recruits are making decisions the next few days but many on ESPN Top 100 are already committed. What's with early signing if most are already signed. Thanks

No one has sign as of yet. Those are commitments but are not binding to they actually sign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom