Recruiting process about to kick into high gear at UConn | The Boneyard

Recruiting process about to kick into high gear at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also posted on main Football Forum:

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/recruiting-process-about-to-kick-into.html

>>So how many players can Diaco sign for the upcoming season?

"It is very easy to look at it and see the open scholarship numbers and add players to fill that group accordingly but what we really need to do is look at 2015, what does that number look like?" Diaco said. "Let’s say that it 15 or 16 (available scholarships) in 2015, is it better to add 20 (in 2014) and keep it there or is it better to add 18 and add two to the Class of 2015? That is the balance that we have to look at so I can’t say for sure what the number looks like. I would to say to me to somewhere around 18.

"Everything’s a challenge, you are trying to get turnarounds for reimbursements or stipends to hit the road faster than you would normally have to plan for it, recruiting areas, where do you want to send the guys? Where they were as opposed to where they were going to be, the recruiting contacts that they want to continue and have relationship with because they have players but we are looking forward to sending them in different areas as long as what the needs are in trying to get new players evaluated in two weeks, it is a challenge."

Diaco said "we are not going to chase talent just for talent sake" as he is looking for the combination of talent (skill and power are the words he used) and the right fit for the football team and university.<<

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I would love some signing day surprises, first for the team and 2nd to keep the positive momentum going. With that said, I will try to temper my enthusiasm with a dose of realism given what the timing is relative to having the coaching staff in place. Here's hoping for a pleasant surprise in my recruiting stocking.

Reaction Score
This is what I have so far...

LB- Chris Britton (Harrisburg HS, PA) - January Enrollee?
DB- Jamar Summers (Prep @ Milford Academy) (Orange NJ) - January Enrollee?

QB- Logan Marchi (St. Paul HS, CT)
RB- Arkeel Newsome (Ansonia CT)
RB - Bryce McAllister (Suffield Academy)
TE - Alec Bloom (Ligonier Valley PA)

OL- Trey Rutherford (Kent School CT)
OL - Lamont Bradford (Timber Creek HS NJ)

DE/TE- Luke Carrezola (Neshaminy, PA)
LB/DE- Tom Rodrick (Leicester, MA)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If Summers shows up he may be the first to Prep at Milford and make it to Storrs.

If he doesn't show up, I would just assume we withdraw scholarship offers from anyone who preps at Milford and dedicate our energy elsewhere.

Reaction Score

That looks like a very solid start to the class. Let's see how Diaco can close things out in such a short time.

Reaction Score
Keep hearing that the weekend of 1/17 to 1/19 will be a big weekend for official/unofficials visits (weekend of MBB v. Louisville) for current commits and new targets. Roderick and Carrezola say they are coming.

Maybe there won't be enough tickets for them to go to the BB game. ;)

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
McDTwin12:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn recruiting coordinator Kevin Wolthausen said plan is to recruit local then branch out. Said couldn't speak on individuals. #uconn

McDTwin12:38pm via Twitter for iPhone
Wolthausen said they are looking for tough, big, fast, any coach-speak term. That type of player. #uconn

Video:
http://live.courant.com/Event/LIVE_...t_As_Bob_Diaco_Introduces_His_Staff/101481403

Not to pick on the quote or the poster, but this is why I don't listen to what coaches say. So luckily we have coaches who want tough, big fast guys. Thank God. I was worried we'd hire people who prefer slow and small wussies.

Reaction Score
Not to pick on the quote or the poster, but this is why I don't listen to what coaches say. So luckily we have coaches who want tough, big fast guys. Thank God. I was worried we'd hire people who prefer slow and small wussies.

It's one of those comments that we all go..."duh". Only the cynical point it out. C'mon Bizlaw.......the board needs the old Bizlaw back. Not that you owe us anything, but there is a new sheriff in town. Even the energy suckers are coming around. :cool:

Reaction Score

I did think it was funny that he used "any coach-speak term" to explain what they were looking for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really like Franklin as a coach, but this is somewhat questionable when your read that article. I know all is fair till signing day, but I have to ask with Penn State's current scholarship limitations, are some of their earlier commits going to find themselves assed out? In that article he stated that recruits that decomitted from Vanderbilt "were not men of honor", when he was coach there... now, not so much I guess, shady stuff.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This may help with pa players in losing Johnson at PSU and with coach Franklin bringing in his own players

Reaction Score

Nice... I hope there are more recruits, too. Did PP have more than those? I hope they didn't get cold feet because of his FIRING!!

Reaction Score
So the others decided to look elsewhere?

There were't that many. UConn lost 3 commits - Noye, Fuchs and Wright due to coaching change. Britton was a 2013 commit and now a January enrollee.

Reaction Score

I'm just glad he didn't say "prototype" ... unless that falls under the definition of "any coach-speak term"...

Reaction Score
There were't that many. UConn lost 3 commits - Noye, Fuchs and Wright due to coaching change. Britton was a 2013 commit and now a January enrollee.

I hope some new people will be signed on signing day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom