Recruiting isn't everything, it's the Only thing | The Boneyard

Recruiting isn't everything, it's the Only thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gino has built a dynasty that draws the best girls in the USA to Storrs. We are all hoping and praying that Bob Diaco can draw more 4 and some 5 star recruits. From his opening day presser he get's what is going to capture top notch athletes.

Education - Top 20 public University, also committed to STEM
Facilities - UCONN's Burton and Shenkman center's together with Rentshler field are among the best in USA
CT location - proximity to New York and Boston finance jobs and markets
Championships - UCONN'S rich history of National Championships and aims to win the American
Commitment- President Herbst, Malloy, Ward and administration committed to football success

We can have the best coaches but without the horses we are going nowhere. Checkout Forbes article on football recruiting. UCONN has all the tangibles to draw top talent!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaj...s-driving-college-football-recruits-decision/

Reaction Score
Gino has built a dynasty that draws the best girls in the USA to Storrs. We are all hoping and praying that Bob Diaco can draw more 4 and some 5 star recruits. From his opening day presser he get's what is going to capture top notch athletes.

Facilities - UCONN's Burton and Shenkman center's together with Rentshler field are among the best in USA
Championships - UCONN'S rich history of National Championships and aims to win the American
Commitment- President Herbst, Malloy, Ward and administration committed to football success

We can have the best coaches but without the horses we are going nowhere. Checkout Forbes article on football recruiting. UCONN has all the tangibles to draw top talent!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaj...s-driving-college-football-recruits-decision/

Great article:
USC showpiecing academics as well as athletics, Vanderbilt as well.....

Reaction Score
My usual preemptive trimonthly post: UConn's 4 star players from the past have all flubbed, while UConn has sent more players to the NFL than ANY old BE team outside of Rutgers. As for the state of Connecticut, the rate of success for 4 star players making the NFL over the last 5 years has been the same as the rate of success for 4 stars nationally (25%), whereas the rate of 2 star players making the NFL out of the state of Connecticut over the last 5 years (11 out of 41 2-stars made the NFL) is 25%+ which is much much higher than the national rate of 2%. This means the state of Connecticut is underrecruited, and that you should take star ratings for players out of Conn. with a grain of salt. In the past, when UConn landed 4 star guys like Jamir Miller and Seth Fogarty, we found out they were perhaps not all they were cracked up to be.

Reaction Score

My usual preemptive trimonthly post: UConn's 4 star players from the past have all flubbed, while UConn has sent more players to the NFL than ANY old BE team outside of Rutgers. As for the state of Connecticut, the rate of success for 4 star players making the NFL over the last 5 years has been the same as the rate of success for 4 stars nationally (25%), whereas the rate of 2 star players making the NFL out of the state of Connecticut over the last 5 years (11 out of 41 2-stars made the NFL) is 25%+ which is much much higher than the national rate of 2%. This means the state of Connecticut is underrecruited, and that you should take star ratings for players out of Conn. with a grain of salt. In the past, when UConn landed 4 star guys like Jamir Miller and Seth Fogarty, we found out they were perhaps not all they were cracked up to be.

Upstater...the initial post wasn't about landing 4 and 5 stars...it was about the total package at UCONN is capable of driving many more recruits to our campus if marketed and sold properly. I prefer 25 to 30 three stars who come with an attitude and chip on their shoulder with something to prove. By the way..arkeel is a 3 star.

Reaction Score

I agree with everything you say and he has the university requirements and support needed to eventually get the job done. But let's not compare Geno's recruiting to Diaco's or even Kevin Ollie's since there really is none. Totally different world but as you say BD can still get plenty of 3-4 stars here…..5 is pushing but one never knows!

Reaction Score
Upstater...the initial post wasn't about landing 4 and 5 stars...it was about the total package at UCONN is capable of driving many more recruits to our campus if marketed and sold properly. I prefer 25 to 30 three stars who come with an attitude and chip on their shoulder with something to prove. By the way..arkeel is a 3 star.

Does anyone remember how many stars Terry Cauley received?

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember how many stars Terry Cauley received?
Sorry Stinger...My point excactly, perhaps I mislead you...stars are worthless when we talk about building a program...they are a guide for marketing. True potential is not
unlocked until they set foot on campus, get great coaching and unleash their true abilities. I believe HCBD can do this...

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see if Diaco can craft a distinct sales pitch from what Edsall and PGDL were pitching and see if it actually gains traction.

Football and Basketball recruiting aren't an apples to apple comparison. Plus when Geno and Jim were building their empires, college sports wasn't as clear stratified as it is now. Things were a little more wide open.

Now with college football, the powers that be have implemented institutional disadvantages. These are bold and well defined lines. Why isn't it the P7? or the P 12? The answer is that it's because there is a concerted effort to guide the advantages and resources to certain conferences.

We have real issues that exist in black and white.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Sorry Stinger...My point excactly, perhaps I mislead you...stars are worthless when we talk about building a program...they are a guide for marketing. True potential is not
unlocked until they set foot on campus, get great coaching and unleash their true abilities. I believe HCBD can do this...

One thing about getting coaches from lower levels is they may have developed skills to see how under the radar HS kids will be able to grow and be coached up.

Now, that doesn't mean I want off the radar kids, but I would like to staff to find 3 star players with great potential and have a luke warm offer from Penn St or VA and make them a priority. We can beat Penn St if a kid thinks we really want him and Penn St doesn't.

Reaction Score

The more talent the better, I agree with that. I just think UConn is in a weird funky market unlike most of the football playing country. It's not that UConn fans should lower expectations, but rather, fans should just roll with recruiting and see how it turns out. When you look at Edsall, you see someone that did an unbelievably good job at recruiting, just stellar--one of the best in the country. But few of us really knew it at the time he grabbed those recruiting classes. If Diaco can bring in that kind of talent, combined with good QBs and gameday execution, then UConn will flourish. Edsall got the first part of it down, not so much on parts 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
The more talent the better, I agree with that. I just think UConn is in a weird funky market unlike most of the football playing country. It's not that UConn fans should lower expectations, but rather, fans should just roll with recruiting and see how it turns out. When you look at Edsall, you see someone that did an unbelievably good job at recruiting, just stellar--one of the best in the country. But few of us really knew it at the time he grabbed those recruiting classes. If Diaco can bring in that kind of talent, combined with good QBs and gameday execution, then UConn will flourish. Edsall got the first part of it down, not so much on parts 2 and 3.

Edsall did a good job except for the one largest and most important area. Quarterback. After Orlovsky, we very well may have had some good ones, lord knows Tyler Lorenzen was a 4 Star QB coming out of JUCO and Zach Frazer was a 4 Star reporting to Notre Dame, maybe he just failed to develop those guys.

Until we can develop a QB that wins games for us, the best we can hope for is 7-5 or so riding a talented RB all the way to the Beef O Charley's bowl.

Reaction Score
Plus when Geno and Jim were building their empires, college sports wasn't as clear stratified as it is now. Things were a little more wide open.

No, they were just as closed, but we were on the inside then.

Reaction Score
Edsall did a good job except for the one largest and most important area. Quarterback. After Orlovsky, we very well may have had some good ones, lord knows Tyler Lorenzen was a 4 Star QB coming out of JUCO and Zach Frazer was a 4 Star reporting to Notre Dame, maybe he just failed to develop those guys.

Until we can develop a QB that wins games for us, the best we can hope for is 7-5 or so riding a talented RB all the way to the Beef O Charley's bowl.

Absolutely the wrong way to look at this. Maybe we already have "that" QB (CC), or maybe he was just to young during the 4 games mid-season (MB). But the 7-5 and RB approach is not the way to go in the long run. The types of players that UConn will need are looking for the same level of excitement as offered at other schools that play a more wide open game.

Reaction Score
James Franklin has a lot going for him as he "upgrades" Vanderbilt with a branding agenda. The SEC, a world class education, and Nashville........all three are big attractions.......for students that want an exciting environment outside the classroom and sports programs......Nashville is a fun place for the young and old at heart.

Maybe that's why the womens final 4 is in Nashville this year. All the restaurants and bars have very good musical entertainment.......naturally being in Nashville a lot of "hoping to be discovered" bands and singers displaying their talents. And of course there is the other shows that populate the Grande OPrey and other cultural spots. Rapid transit gets you to a host of sites........so you go out, have a good time, and not have to worry about driving anywhere.

UConn can certainly highlight is educational opportunities, but its athletic conference and Storrs/Hartford.....not so much.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Yup. Change TL or ZF with a Bridgewater or Bortles and those teams would be not far off from where UCF or UofL are today.

Maybe better.

Reaction Score
Yup. Change TL or ZF with a Bridgewater or Bortles and those teams would be not far off from where UCF or UofL are today.

Maybe better.

Certainly more talented: Kendall Reyes, Jordan Todman, Sio Moore, Anthony Sherman, Dwayne Gratz, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Ryan Griffin, Jesse Joseph, Yawin Smallwood, Moe Petrus, Mike Ryan, Shamar Stephen, Nick Williams, Marcus Campbell, John Delahunt, Jory Johnson, Twyon Martin, Adam Masters, Kashif Moore, Isaiah Moore, Michael Smith, Zach Hurd, Lawrence Wilson, Scott Lutrus, Greg Lloyd.

The QB? Zach Frazer.

The next year, 2011, after Todman, Sherman, Kashif Moore, Hurd, Wilson, Lutrus and Lloyd left, they were still stocked with future NFLers. The QB?

Johnny McEntee.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Absolutely the wrong way to look at this. Maybe we already have "that" QB (CC), or maybe he was just to young during the 4 games mid-season (MB). But the 7-5 and RB approach is not the way to go in the long run. The types of players that UConn will need are looking for the same level of excitement as offered at other schools that play a more wide open game.

How is that the wrong way to look at this? Casey Cochran never played for Edsall. Edsall didn't develop his QBs. Frazer had one good season and then he forgot how to play.

Reaction Score
No, they were just as closed, but we were on the inside then.

The inside wasn't as well defined. And in basketball, there is a tournament and you can play your way to championship and not get there based on reputation and style.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you say and he has the university requirements and support needed to eventually get the job done. But let's not compare Geno's recruiting to Diaco's or even Kevin Ollie's since there really is none. Totally different world but as you say BD can still get plenty of 3-4 stars here…..5 is pushing but one never knows!
Gino's success would be the ultimate model and proves that anything is possible.

Reaction Score
I guess the star system doesn't apply to lowly UCONN but funny thing is if we land a 5 star recruit many who discount it will be the first to post the good news! Let's be real. I am all for building 2's and 3's into 4's and 5's but I will take talent any day. Shakim Phillips was a 4 recruited by BC and I was excited when he decided on UCONN.

Reaction Score
James Franklin has a lot going for him as he "upgrades" Vanderbilt with a branding agenda. The SEC, a world class education, and Nashville........all three are big attractions.......for students that want an exciting environment outside the classroom and sports programs......Nashville is a fun place for the young and old at heart.

Maybe that's why the womens final 4 is in Nashville this year. All the restaurants and bars have very good musical entertainment.......naturally being in Nashville a lot of "hoping to be discovered" bands and singers displaying their talents. And of course there is the other shows that populate the Grande OPrey and other cultural spots. Rapid transit gets you to a host of sites........so you go out, have a good time, and not have to worry about driving anywhere.

UConn can certainly highlight is educational opportunities, but its athletic conference and Storrs/Hartford.....not so much.
But proximity to NYC and Boston are a plus for students and parents from outside CT.

Reaction Score
I guess the star system doesn't apply to lowly UCONN but funny thing is if we land a 5 star recruit many who discount it will be the first to post the good news! Let's be real. I am all for building 2's and 3's into 4's and 5's but I will take talent any day. Shakim Phillips was a 4 recruited by BC and I was excited when he decided on UCONN.

Geremy Davis was a 4* recruit as well. There was a misprint on all the sites that listed him. ;)

Reaction Score

We've had a few 4s.

I'll list them: Jarell Miller, Seth Fogarty, Kitt Pommells. I'd like to see some more. On the other hand, some of these kids (even with offers from the likes of UCLA, Penn State and Alabama) ended up at UConn because they had certain question marks.

Reaction Score
We've had a few 4s.

I'll list them: Jarell Miller, Seth Fogarty, Kitt Pommells. I'd like to see some more. On the other hand, some of these kids (even with offers from the likes of UCLA, Penn State and Alabama) ended up at UConn because they had certain question marks.

Ya missed Difton.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yeah, Difton was considered the best player to ever commit to UConn at the time he signed his LOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom