recruiting insights | The Boneyard

recruiting insights

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
there has been buckets of speculation about the recruitment of sarah strong this year, and about many coveted 'gotta gets' (on the BY at least) over many years. there is a lot of interest about this and it incites posts galore, some providing great info, some offering hilarity and a few -- incredulity.

for me, it's a favorite topic.

however, i have yet to see a folo-up. where is the after-the-fact lowdown? it would be fascinating to hear the full and true story of a high school phenom's decision-making process, including the recruiters' efforts. why is there a failure of the media to tune into this obviously and potentially great, insightful reportage. it's a human-interest story. and it could be more inclusive -- the story of recruiting in general.

maybe nobody thinks the story would be interesting?

it's understandable that this might seem an impossible assignment. first, you would have get a recruit to tell her story. many -- most? -- wouldn't go for that. so ... no story. but others might. great!

then there is the issue of the coaching staff, the school, in some cases teammates -- and parents -- objecting for some reason. uh-oh. another obstacle. perhaps too big?

finally, this player's story simply might be dullsville. not worth the effort.

it might turn out to be great, though!

i'd like to read such a story. so far, no dice.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I thought there was a pretty good article a few years ago about Azzi Fudd's decision-making process. I especially remember her surprising her parents while in the car when she announced she had decided on UConn.

However, I wouldn't expect any recruit to go into detail about why they did not choose a particular school.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I thought there was a pretty good article a few years ago about Azzi Fudd's decision-making process. I especially remember her surprising her parents while in the car when she announced she had decided on UConn.

However, I wouldn't expect any recruit to go into detail about why they did not choose a particular school.
they do exist!

guess you liked it and learned a bit.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So in a nutshell Her dream school was UConn and Geno never recruited her or showed interest ..
100s of players can say that UConn is their dream school, however it's all about the fit for the program. The article outlines a few things that may have affected her process, and UConn was recruiting Paige.

Reaction Score
So in a nutshell Her dream school was UConn and Geno never recruited her or showed interest ..
Note: this was because Geno already had "BUCKETS" N.B. Both CC and PB are AP "All Americans" this year.

Reaction Score
Ask and ye shall receive (there's more in this article)
It is in-depth look at Caitlin & the subsequent mania surrounding her after Iowa's incredible run in last year's tourney. Before I make a fool of myself, does anybody remember exactly when Paige committed to UConn? I bring this up because the writer, in my opinion, was a bit disingenuous about UConn not having any interest in Caitlin. If Geno had already signed Paige, there was no way Clark was coming to UConn, if she ever truly entertained the idea.

The mind does boggle at the thought of Paige and Caitlin in the same backcourt. A healthy Azzi would probably have 20 open looks a game playing with those two. It worked out swimmingly for Clark - couldn't author a better script, with the exception of going out as a NC winner. I hope they get the opportunity to play in the Final Four with the opponent, a Paige-led UConn. Now, that would be a story.

Reaction Score
Caitlin has played UConn all of twice. The first game, with UConn led by Paige, was a blowout. The second, with UConn led by Azzi, was a little closer, but was still a convincing win by an already hobbled Husky team. I wonder if Caitlin is eager for a third try.

Reaction Score
It is in-depth look at Caitlin & the subsequent mania surrounding her after Iowa's incredible run in last year's tourney. Before I make a fool of myself, does anybody remember exactly when Paige committed to UConn? I bring this up because the writer, in my opinion, was a bit disingenuous about UConn not having any interest in Caitlin. If Geno had already signed Paige, there was no way Clark was coming to UConn, if she ever truly entertained the idea.

The mind does boggle at the thought of Paige and Caitlin in the same backcourt. A healthy Azzi would probably have 20 open looks a game playing with those two. It worked out swimmingly for Clark - couldn't author a better script, with the exception of going out as a NC winner. I hope they get the opportunity to play in the Final Four with the opponent, a Paige-led UConn. Now, that would be a story.
Obviously it’s just my opinion but I’m not convinced that UConn’s interest was real high. I don’t think the fit was that good and I believe she was always going to wind up where she could play the style she has. And Iowa being local was perfectly conducive for her.

Reaction Score
there has been buckets of speculation about the recruitment of sarah strong this year, and about many coveted 'gotta gets' (on the BY at least) over many years. there is a lot of interest about this and it incites posts galore, some providing great info, some offering hilarity and a few -- incredulity.

however, i have yet to see a folo-up. where is the after-the-fact lowdown? it would be fascinating to hear the full and true story of a high school phenom's decision-making process, including the recruiters' efforts. why is there a failure of the media to tune into this obviously and potentially great, insightful reportage. it's a human-interest story. and it could be more inclusive -- the story of recruiting in general.

it's understandable that this might seem an impossible assignment. first, you would have get a recruit to tell her story. many -- most? -- wouldn't go for that. so ... no story. but others might. great!

then there is the issue of the coaching staff, the school, in some cases teammates -- and parents -- objecting for some reason. uh-oh. another obstacle. perhaps too big?

Huh?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

I, too, find this an interesting topic, @PacoSwede. However, unless recruits are willing to address the roles race, gender and religion play in the decision-making process, you'll never get the full story.

Reaction Score
Why would Geno recruit both Paige and Caitlin? Geno identified Paige as the player he wanted so why would he go after Clark too? Everything worked out the way it was supposed to. If Clark had come to UConn she likely would have averaged 19-22 pts instead of 26-30. Clark went to a school that allowed/needed her to be an offensive machine. That would/could not have happened at UConn. While I respect what Clark has accomplished at Iowa, I’m happy with our end of the bargain and would not wish it any other way!

Reaction Score
After reading the article, my understanding is that while UConn was her dream school, she really had no intention of attending. She just wanted the honor of being recruited by UConn.

Reaction Score
Why would Geno recruit both Paige and Caitlin? Geno identified Paige as the player he wanted so why would he go after Clark too? Everything worked out the way it was supposed to. If Clark had come to UConn she likely would have averaged 19-22 pts instead of 26-30. Clark went to a school that allowed/needed her to be an offensive machine. That would/could not have happened at UConn. While I respect what Clark has accomplished at Iowa, I’m happy with our end of the bargain and would not wish it any other way!
Geno had a decent plan. #1 Paige, then #1 Azzi the next year.

Reaction Score
I don't think Caitlin Clark would be the player she is today if she had gone to UConn. In some ways she would be better but the one thing she does at Iowa with free rein is what is attracting all the new fans to the game. People who watch her see how special she is at all facets of her offensive game and she brings a level of excitement that is attracting people who aren't crazy about WCBB.

Now if UConn has gotten her and she found a way to be healthy I think UConn would have been a much better team than they have been but that is mostly based on how many players they have lost to injury. In the end what happened was best for UConn and best for the women's game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom