Recruiting in this coronavirus pandemic world | The Boneyard

Recruiting in this coronavirus pandemic world

Reaction Score
If anyone has been follow what is going on, the NCAA extended the dead period to May 31. And you can imagine it might extend it even longer. So no visits and no spring AAU events to evaluate players. Virtual recruiting is the new thing. This is going to cause havoc for recruiting. Check out these quotes from coaches. I imagine the fall is going to be crazy with lots of dropped recruits.

“I absolutely do think a lot of commitments are about to come,” said the high-major head coach. “We have been talking about it as a staff for a while now.”

When asked how comfortable he would be accepting the commitment early of a kid who might not be at the top of his board, but that he has an offer that is ready to decide early, the coach gave his honest thought.

“I honestly wouldn’t feel great about it, but I am never turning down a commitment,” he explained. “There are about 10 guys I would feel comfortable taking today, but our recruiting board has 75 names. Still, I will never turn down a commitment. I have a year to figure it out.”

He continued, “It does me no harm to make a kid think he isn’t recruitable any longer. Getting a commitment is the hardest thing in the world. The easiest thing in the world is getting out of a commitment, so why would I ever tell a kid we have offered, no?”

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If anyone has been follow what is going on, the NCAA extended the dead period to May 31. And you can imagine it might extend it even longer. So no visits and no spring AAU events to evaluate players. Virtual recruiting is the new thing. This is going to cause havoc for recruiting. Check out these quotes from coaches. I imagine the fall is going to be crazy with lots of dropped recruits.

“I absolutely do think a lot of commitments are about to come,” said the high-major head coach. “We have been talking about it as a staff for a while now.”

When asked how comfortable he would be accepting the commitment early of a kid who might not be at the top of his board, but that he has an offer that is ready to decide early, the coach gave his honest thought.

“I honestly wouldn’t feel great about it, but I am never turning down a commitment,” he explained. “There are about 10 guys I would feel comfortable taking today, but our recruiting board has 75 names. Still, I will never turn down a commitment. I have a year to figure it out.”

He continued, “It does me no harm to make a kid think he isn’t recruitable any longer. Getting a commitment is the hardest thing in the world. The easiest thing in the world is getting out of a commitment, so why would I ever tell a kid we have offered, no?”

Sounds like a great guy.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We have a staff with arguably the best eye for evaluating underrated talent among high major programs. If anything, this benefits us.

We literally signed a top 50 player, who never stepped a foot in Storrs and was pretty much headed to Seton Hall, after a virtual Zoom meeting.

Trust the grind and Blaze pizza.

Reaction Score
Getting a commitment is the hardest thing in the world. The easiest thing in the world is getting out of a commitment, so why would I ever tell a kid we have offered, no?”
penny, is that you?

Reaction Score
Purely a guess but I think we see a lot of kids pick schools close to home.

Reaction Score
Purely a guess but I think we see a lot of kids pick schools close to home.

I'm expecting the same thing. The result will be that the "national" programs like Kentucky, Duke and Kansas will lose some recruits to more local schools and schools like Nebraska and LSU which cast really wide nets will also struggle getting kids in the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom