Recruiting has been absolutely incredible the past 10 months... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruiting has been absolutely incredible the past 10 months...

Reaction Score
Jackie Gemelos, who verbaled without ever visiting UCONN (I believe she did it over the phone when chatting with Geno) and who else? Maybe Gillian Goring? She was not eligible for college I think (IIRC)...

Laura Harper was another kid who verbaled, but IIRC Freese kept on her, and helped convince her to rescind and go to Maryland instead. Recently there was Charli Collier, but again, her dad had died the year before, and after they had that big hurricane, I think she felt homesick before ever leaving Texas and opted to stay closer to home.

But... my point sort of, is that I don't think those kids changed their minds because they verbaled too early, necessarily. I think sometimes circumstances change/occur, and it happens.

2 sides to every coin tho. You make a good point that relates to Elena Delle Donne. How many "top" kids did Geno NOT recruit, or who chose not to come to UCONN and compete against Elena for PT? Her leaving at the last possible second was a big blow and created a hole that couldn't be filled. UCONN still won 2 NC's during her 4 years of college so it's not like our cupboard was bare, but we did not win in what would have been her junior and senior years.

My point is, IF Brady were to change her mind a year or 2 down the road... with her verbal, does UCONN stop recruiting other top kids who play the same position? Will her verbal make someone like Betts look elsewhere? It would indeed suck if she were to change her mind and it was too late for us to get another high level post player who took us off their list because we had Ice...

When a kid commits, especially early, the staff starts focusing on other players, probably who play different positions (for the most part) and those kids look at UCONN and say "you are full at that position"... It's a tough dilemma...
Gillian was a never was. Yet, as you write you make my point by stating that ANY didn't report aboard after making a commit too early on. If they committed and went elsewhere it seems obvious they changed or had their minds changed---it doesn't matter in either case they failed to show-up. You made my point in that the early commits do not guaranteed they shall ever play or report for the team (uconn or other) if they commit too early.
It's a matter of Teenager. Some know their minds and are certain. Some know their minds, they think again, then they (like my daughter) commit to go to a Military Academy(before she signed in) then had friends (girls or boys) change her mind. That's not uncommon. So, personally, I wait until they arrive and are still here when the season starts--then I start thinking they may stay, MAY.

Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me how people on this board can turn great recruiting into a negative. First we say Geno has lost his touch and now the board says its bad to recruit too early.... There is no satisfying folks on this board. I for one am over the moon with the aggressive recruiting.
Re read the post. That was a personal opinion, a one persons view of the process. Not a condemnation of Geno or his commits---are you certain ALL early commits shall show up and start practicing in Sept/Oct? Hurrah for you. I've seen a few maybe more decommit after early promises. That's just me.
It never ceases to amaze ME how people fail to read fully what is written or make something out of nothing. Geno nor this assistances were mentioned ---just a personal opinion of the process

Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me how people on this board can turn great recruiting into a negative. First we say Geno has lost his touch and now the board says its bad to recruit too early.... There is no satisfying folks on this board. I for one am over the moon with the aggressive recruiting.
Where in this piece does it say Geno didn't do a great job. Please note the 3 rd or 4th sentence for Glass 1/3 full personality--no negative on Geno or recruiting--a personal opinion---READ FULLY please--below

Some players want Coach to hold their hand until they report to UConn or any school. Attention for Assistance may say to them--not so much interest. You know recruiting and keeping Committ's is fine line until they actually arrive, even then Geno has lost one or 2 before the season started (I not talking AEH) or EDD). That is why I worry (glass 1/3 empty) when Players commit too early--my mantra is : early commit--earlier decommit. lease.

Reaction Score
Brianna Stepherson is another one who rescinded her verbal commitment. She was the first one committed from the class which included 5 players, TASSK.
Sue Bird has mentioned before that she was interested in UConn but they had too many guards and didn’t commit until someone else decommitted. That might have been the piece for UConn to land Bird.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

One thing that seems clear from these tweets is that Azzi truly hasn't made a decision yet -- otherwise her friend would not be "working" her in this way. This is not a situation where there has been a "silent commitment" (or a secret one).

This is unfortunate from our perspective but apparently true.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One thing that seems clear from these tweets is that Azzi truly hasn't made a decision yet -- otherwise her friend would not be "working" her in this way. This is not a situation where there has been a "silent commitment" (or a secret one).

I don't consider it unfortunate, if that's the case. It means she's taking her time and not rushing into a commitment at the start of her junior year.

Reaction Score

I think you are reading too much into this. Paige could already know that Azzi is coming to UConn, and be just tweaking her because she has not announced yet. You can be certain that if Paige truly needed to convince Azzi, she has more direct and more effective means of communication than social media.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For the people who haven’t seen Azzi before, I know this is not game action, but watch her form and results. She must be in great shape to put up that many shots in such a short period of time. In the video, she makes 20 straight in under a minute. About 5 shots hit the rim. The others hit nothing but net. She has perfected her shot, much as Kaleena did. She’s a joy to watch.

Reaction Score
For the people who haven’t seen Azzi before, I know this is not game action, but watch her form and results. She must be in great shape to put up that many shots in such a short period of time. In the video, she makes 20 straight in under a minute. About 5 shots hit the rim. The others hit nothing but net. She has perfected her shot, much as Kaleena did. She’s a joy to watch.
I've watched Azzi many times and I agree with you, she has a KLM shot, a near KLM frame, but 10 times more athletic. She's like Kaleena 2.0. Lethal.

Reaction Score
After the struggles with the freshman class in 2017, when 3 of 4 players ultimately left and the swings and misses with the top 3 players in the 2019 class, I think Geno, CD and the staff changed their approach significantly.
  • First and foremost, I believe Geno has changed the way he deals with players, particularly in public. His criticisms now appear as gentle nudges as opposed to harsh rebukes. As a result UConn projects a much more comfortable image to prospective recruits. I suspect CD had a strong influence on this change in Geno’s personality.
  • While I don’t necessarily believe that any of these options will be ongoing, so long as Geno can continue to bring in classes like 2020, it is clear that Geno has belatedly embraced transfers and foreign born players as needed to fill holes in the roster.
  • Geno and every other coach’s preference would be to wait until a player completes their junior year of HS basketball to offer a scholarship, so that you have a better idea of what you’re getting. But the pressure to recruit top talent has pushed offers further and further out. So Geno has bought in to the challenging process of extending offers earlier. As a result, UConn has verbal commitments from 2 HS jrs & 1 Soph who are barely into their seasons.
  • In the past, Geno has focused on bringing in a class of 3-4 top players at most. If 2-3 of those players went elsewhere, so be it. It now appears that Geno is extending more offers. So if 5 players all commit to UConn, like next year, and who knows how many in the following years, UConn will just have to deal with the inevitable PT issue that results.
  • I do agree with the post that Jas has had a significant impact on recruiting. While she doesn’t necessarily have the title of Recruiting Coordinator, in practice she does appear to fill that role at UConn.
  • Finally, with all the championship banners, AA’s and top pros that UConn has, the biggest single advantage that the Huskies have in recruiting is the players themselves, both past and present. The current players are a wonderful group of “team first” young ladies who certainly impress HS recruits with a friendly vibe that goes a long way towards convincing them that Storrs is where they want to be. In addition, to the extent that recruits run into former UConn greats like Stewie or KML on campus, it has to be a thrilling experience that can only reinforce the advantages of playing basketball at UConn.
On your second bullet above: I assume you are saying the European and Transfers MAY not continue should Geno keep getting top talent otherwise. With that, I accept your statement as fact with a caveat or 3; Recruiting appears (maybe is) cyclical some good years some not so good. Geno will want to slow down the travel as he ages, it gets to be less fun. Geno may, as related to recent European at Uconn, find they are so desirable and easily coache he'd want more. Personally, I like the European kids In my less that knowledgable opinion, Uconn has not done well with Transfers even when Geno has been against a rock and hard place they have not, in my opinion, been worth the effort.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
bbfanLA: You are on point about Brianne Stepherson and her [probable] connection to our getting Sue Bird. Geno had verbals from Keirston Walters and 'Breezy'. In late August Breezy withdrew her verbal and announced she was going to BC..she went to Masconomet High...in eastern Ma.
Shortly thereafter Sue verballed to UConn....perhaps influenced by Breezy's change of mind...I believe Sue went for UConn over offers from Vandy and Stanford.

Sue becomes an all-timer...face on UConn's Mt. Rushmore...and a lock future HOF'er.
Keirston was besieged by injuries throughout her UConn career....never came close to her potential...a great kid. BTW: before Sue and Keirston were injured early in their frosh year and both were playing...it was close. Sue was doing well and so was Keirston. Keirston reminded me of a Jen Rizzotti-type. Feisty...a wonderful olde-fashioned set shooter from trey land.

Breezy had a solid career at BC...also beset with some tough health luck...a torn ACL at some point.
I got to see her play in high school...she had a HUGE rep back then....and from my one look...she was an elite type high school guard. Not a Sue Bird...but very worthy of a Geno offer.

Hope she is doing well nowadays....anyone know?

Reaction Score
Very strong. After 20 she's not using any more motion or effort to get them up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
bbfanLA: You are on point about Brianne Stepherson and her [probable] connection to our getting Sue Bird. Geno had verbals from Keirston Walters and 'Breezy'.
Not quite, according to the Courant from Aug 16, 1997:

The Walters commitment came two days after guard Brianne Stepherson of Masconomet High in Topsfield, Mass., informed the Huskies coaching staff she wanted to void hers, made last November before UConn's game at Boston College.

Even though Stepherson's decision to reconsider predated Walters' to commit, a source indicated Stepherson had become very aware of UConn's interest in other guards.

Besides Walters, UConn is recruiting Sue Bird of Christ The King High in New York, Tamika Williams of Chaminade-Julienne HS in Dayton, Ohio, and Svetlana Abrimosa of St. Petersburg, Russia.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Was the speculation about Boston going to SC because of Marisa from the boneyard or somewhere more in the know
Well, that was hurtful.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Besides Walters, UConn is recruiting Sue Bird of Christ The King High in New York, Tamika Williams of Chaminade-Julienne HS in Dayton, Ohio, and Svetlana Abrimosa of St. Petersburg, Russia.
That worked out OK, didn’t it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom