Recruiting Handicaps | The Boneyard

Recruiting Handicaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2014 is a more important recruiting class for us. KO will be signed long term, and he will have time to land top 50 kids. We also will have one of the 2-3 best backcourts in the country next year regardless.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
swing and a miss

-ko went around with jc for a couple years establishing aau contacts everywhere. from the boston bbac or w/e it is to the compton magic we have great aau connects this staff holds. how the hell can u explain our first 2 commits this class? yea...
-the contract is a major problem that i along with others have been up in hells words about. the other problem is that warde and susan need to cut the ivy league bull . u want to be a great school i get it. thats fine. michigan, unc and uva are great schools and big publics. be like theem. not yale. cut the crap with players visiting needing certain requirments. im fine not letting kids in who can't get a certain grade score. just make sure that score is competitive so we dont get smoked on the trail. also, any kid who is a recruit should be able to visit no matter the transcript or sat score. if the staff wants a look, let them look. you never know down the road if a kid goes juco or tries to transfer latter on from a school and he has his ducks in a row now.

Reaction Score
More important than any recruit we land is keeping Boatright, Bazz, Omar, and Daniels. We might be short on players but not talent. K Facey and Samuels only add to the much needed depth we're lacking. Sign Brandon Austin and I will be happy with this recruiting class

Reaction Score
More important than any recruit we land is keeping Boatright, Bazz, Omar, and Daniels. We might be short on players but not talent. K Facey and Samuels only add to the much needed depth we're lacking. Sign Brandon Austin and I will be happy with this recruiting class

I agree. Although 2014 needs to be a huge recruiting year regardless. That class will be replacing Napier, Olander, Giffey, Wolf, and probably Boatright too.

Reaction Score
I agree. Although 2014 needs to be a huge recruiting year regardless. That class will be replacing Napier, Olander, Giffey, Wolf, and probably Boatright too.

That's exactly what I'm saying

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
swing and a miss

-ko went around with jc for a couple years establishing aau contacts everywhere. from the boston bbac or w/e it is to the compton magic we have great aau connects this staff holds. how the hell can u explain our first 2 commits this class? yea...
-the contract is a major problem that i along with others have been up in hells words about. the other problem is that warde and susan need to cut the ivy league bull ****. u want to be a great school i get it. thats fine. michigan, unc and uva are great schools and big publics. be like theem. not ****ing yale. cut the crap with players visiting needing certain requirments. im fine not letting kids in who can't get a certain grade score. just make sure that score is competitive so we dont get smoked on the trail. also, any kid who is a recruit should be able to visit no matter the transcript or sat score. if the staff wants a look, let them look. you never know down the road if a kid goes juco or tries to transfer latter on from a school and he has his ducks in a row now.
Thanks for the details. Who needs beat writers when there is such great nuggets of info coming from our forums. The problem is sifting through all the macho fighting to find them.
BTW, my gut tells me SH and WM are planning on doing exactly what you are recommending but are waiting until the scrutiny ends.

C

Chief00

The contract is gross malfeasance by Manuel. It is a recruiting suicide pact. And to think Herbst called him a rock star - and that appears to be part of the problem - an oversized ego - she talked about his education - it is a Sociology Degree. No offense to others that have that degree - but it isn't the most challenging course of study

Reaction Score
The contract is gross malfeasance by Manuel. It is a recruiting suicide pact. And to think Herbst called him a rock star - and that appears to be part of the problem - an oversized ego - she talked about his education - it is a Sociology Degree. No offense to others that have that degree - but it isn't the most challenging course of study

I'm pretty sure he has a PhD and an MBA. Education is not an issue.

Reaction Score
And there it is - UConn has a lack of contact with AAU coaches. Upstater, remind us of the crud that took place with the California brothers and their hire of a former NCAA president.

OI have no idea what AAU contacts Calhoun had, but he certainly didn't get a lot of players through the mainline AAU programs. Ben Gordon, Emeka, Rudy Gay, etc. We always here about marginal AAU guys, like Baltimore Parks & Rec., some of the NYC outfits, Nate Blue. But we're not talking about the AAU machines like the Pump Bros. My sense of it is that the Patriots are AAU outsiders.

And you're absolutely right that there are insiders like the Pumps. While Gary Williams was blasting Calhoun publicly for Baltimore Parks &. Rec., he was comping F4 tickets to the Pumps and taking their recruits. And yes ex-NCAA President Dempsey went to work for the Pumps upon resigning from the NCAA. He was charged with the coaching consulting part of the business, matching coaches with open slots. Supposedly.

If you look in the background of even the top programs like Duke and such, they are all involved with the sort of things that got UConn in trouble with Nate Miles. For some reason--and I don't know why--Calhoun has always been called crooked, even going back to the 1990s prior to some of the Ricky Moore troubles.

Reaction Score
OI have no idea what AAU contacts Calhoun had, but he certainly didn't get a lot of players through the mainline AAU programs. Ben Gordon, Emeka, Rudy Gay, etc. We always here about marginal AAU guys, like Baltimore Parks & Rec., some of the NYC outfits, Nate Blue. But we're not talking about the AAU machines like the Pump Bros. My sense of it is that the Patriots are AAU outsiders.

And you're absolutely right that there are insiders like the Pumps. While Gary Williams was blasting Calhoun publicly for Baltimore Parks &. Rec., he was comping F4 tickets to the Pumps and taking their recruits. And yes ex-NCAA President Dempsey went to work for the Pumps upon resigning from the NCAA. He was charged with the coaching consulting part of the business, matching coaches with open slots. Supposedly.

If you look in the background of even the top programs like Duke and such, they are all involved with the sort of things that got UConn in trouble with Nate Miles. For some reason--and I don't know why--Calhoun has always been called crooked, even going back to the 1990s prior to some of the Ricky Moore troubles.

It's because people are still shocked that he was able to build UConn into such a national power. Rather than give him credit, they call him a cheater.

Reaction Score

Yes, I'm watching the Patriots game, LOL

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Emeka played for Hal Pastner with Houston Hoops and Rudy played for Curtis Malone with the DC Assault.

Reaction Score
This is why more and more teams are hiring aau coaches for their connection

Reaction Score
Emeka played for Hal Pastner with Houston Hoops and Rudy played for Curtis Malone with the DC Assault.

I know they played AAU ball. I wrote that in the original post that UConn has landed lesser AAU kids. But they didn't get Rudy through his AAU connections. They got him through Cecil Kirk. Emeka was similar. They saw him in a non-AAU All-Star game for the first time. His recruitment had nothing to do with AAU.

Reaction Score
This is why more and more teams are hiring aau coaches for their connection

and that is how you wind up with Delonte Hill type dirtbags on your staff, which is exactly what we don't need. Not exactly sure I buy the AAU connections thing, it might be a small fraction of what's affecting recruiting, but I'll weigh the majority of the negative impact on the 7 month contract, or in Jordan Bell's situation, the new standards set in place by the administration. I know Ollie doesn't have 10 years of equity built into this and long standing relationships, but it's not like he's just getting out here after JC's retirement, he was out there on the road with JC the past couple of seasons and also on his own. A lack of AAU contacts didn't stop Facey from committing here when it became apparent on his visit that KO would be his next coach and Manuel was in London. I doubt Facey would've committed on the spot like that if he were to visit in Ocotober in the wake of JC's retirement and uncertainty around KO's future.

Reaction Score
Regarding the Thread Title.
I'm all for recruiting handicaps.

I'm just not sure that we can get any production out of them on the court.

Too much?

I'm buzzed.

Reaction Score

Gross malfeasance? I assume you didn't like Hathaway either?

Warde Manuel is doing a great job as the UConn AD. He implemented or changed some policy that had no place at an athletic event. I commend him for that.

As Calhoun would say "Get some facts and then come back and see me."

Manual has an undergrad degree from Uninversity of Michigan. A masters in social work from the University of Michigan. If that's not enough he has an MBA from Ross School of Business which the Wall Street Journal ranked the #1 business school in America in 2006.

Your tone regarding his education leads me to believe you should have just been more blunt and honest. My guess is what you really wanted to say was... this is an african american man who really is not worthy of such lofty educational accomplishments. Maybe you attribute his academic success to affirmative action? Better for you to be honest right? After all to you he merely has a sociology degree from the University of Michigan.

Affirmative action is a hot issue in the Supreme Court right now. The question being asked is...“What is the critical mass of African-Americans and Hispanics at the university that you are working toward?” Can you answer that question? I think Justice Kennedy may very well limit the decision in Grutter v. Bollinger.

Warde Manuel was put in a very difficult position. No judgements should be passed on him at this time in my opinion. We got a real gem in Warde Manuel. Kevin Ollie will be the next coach and the 2014 recruting class will be a Top 10 class. There is a transitionary period and patience is an important virtue.

JMHO bro...

Reaction Score

Warde Manuel is doing a great job as the UConn AD. He implemented or changed some policy that had no place at an athletic event. I commend him for that.

Manual has an undergrad degree from Uninversity of Michigan. A masters in social work from the University of Michigan. If that's not enough he has an MBA from Ross School of Business which the Wall Street Journal ranked the #1 business school in America in 2006.

Your tone regarding his education leads me to believe you should have just been more blunt and honest. My guess is what you really wanted to say was... this is an african american man who really is not worthy of such lofty educational accomplishments. Maybe you attribute his academic success to affirmative action? Better for you to be honest right? After all to you he merely has a sociology degree from the University of Michigan.

Affirmative action is a hot issue in the Supreme Court right now. The question being asked is...“What is the critical mass of African-Americans and Hispanics at the university that you are working toward?” Can you answer that question? I think Justice Kennedy may very well limit the decision in Grutter v. Bollinger.

Warde Manuel was put in a very difficult position. No judgements should be passed on him at this time in my opinion. We got a real gem in Warde Manuel. Kevin Ollie will be the next coach and the 2014 recruting class will be a Top 10 class. There is a transitionary period and patience is an important virtue.

JMHO bro...

Boy, race card on the Boneyard, thought I had gotten away from that by ditching the TV news. To say gross malfeasance (re Ollie's contract) might be a little harsh to me (but was real dumb to me and a bad sign re competence) but to you seeing Manuel as a "gem" with what he has done so far to me is a little overboard. "Your tone" suggests you see any criticism of anyone who is anypart nonwhite as race driven. Just be "blunt and honest". Guess no one could actually just think Manuel did something real, real dumb. I think it was dumb, but stop short of real, real dumb for the Ollie contract. I thought Hathaway did a real, real bad job (gross malfeasance) even though he had a masters degree and work towards his Phd and as far as I could tell by looking at him he was non nonwhite. If Manuel keeps PP for another year "I'll" call that "gross malfeasance" and if you think that will be 'cause Warde's some part non white you will be incorrect, it will be because he is keeping a real doofy 100% non nonwhite guy in a job that is well over his head.

JMHO bro...

Reaction Score

JMHO bro...
You're making a big leap there assuming the race card. You sound like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. I'd delete it if I were you. I'll then delete my post.

C

Chief00

JMHO bro...

So by wanting Warde to hire Kevin Ollie to a long term contract somehow I am against a "critical mass of African Americans and Hispanics" at UConn. Interesting logic.

Reaction Score
I know they played AAU ball. I wrote that in the original post that UConn has landed lesser AAU kids. But they didn't get Rudy through his AAU connections. They got him through Cecil Kirk. Emeka was similar. They saw him in a non-AAU All-Star game for the first time. His recruitment had nothing to do with AAU.

Whoa. Am I crazy or is this totally inaccurate? Isn't Rudy pretty much the poster child for landing a kid through his AAU connections?

Cecil Kirk was the AAU team he played for. Boone did too. They're still around, google them. I mean, the "Beltway Ballers" were a one-off team composed of former Cecil Kirk AAU kids. Rudy was absolutely, 100% signed through AAU. Did you think Cecil Kirk was a community center where Rudy did odd jobs or something?

Reaction Score
Whoa. Am I crazy or is this totally inaccurate? Isn't Rudy pretty much the poster child for landing a kid through his AAU connections?

Cecil Kirk was the AAU team he played for. Boone did too. They're still around, google them. I mean, the "Beltway Ballers" were a one-off team composed of former Cecil Kirk AAU kids. Rudy was absolutely, 100% signed through AAU. Did you think Cecil Kirk was a community center where Rudy did odd jobs or something?

I don't know why this is a mystery at all. Tom Moore explained in detail what happened. UConn was on top of Gay his soph. year, precisely because of Calhoun's connections to the head of Baltimore Parks & Rec. (not Cecil Kirk). The head was Reggie Lewis's mentor from the early 80s. He's the one that put together the Beltway Ballers 2 years later. UConn paid $22k for the game. The money went to the City of Baltimore in the name of Baltimore Parks & Rec. Gay never played for the Ballers.

The point is, this was not an AAU connection, as the whole thing was done on the fly. This went through Reggie Lewis' old coach. is it a connection? Of course. But personally, I prefer UConn's money going to a City non-profit rather than the pockets of the Pumps. Don't you?

Reaction Score
Boy, race card on the Boneyard, thought I had gotten away from that by ditching the TV news. To say gross malfeasance (re Ollie's contract) might be a little harsh to me (but was real dumb to me and a bad sign re competence) but to you seeing Manuel as a "gem" with what he has done so far to me is a little overboard. "Your tone" suggests you see any criticism of anyone who is anypart nonwhite as race driven. Just be "blunt and honest". Guess no one could actually just think Manuel did something real, real dumb. I think it was dumb, but stop short of real, real dumb for the Ollie contract. I thought Hathaway did a real, real bad job (gross malfeasance) even though he had a masters degree and work towards his Phd and as far as I could tell by looking at him he was non nonwhite. If Manuel keeps PP for another year "I'll" call that "gross malfeasance" and if you think that will be 'cause Warde's some part non white you will be incorrect, it will be because he is keeping a real doofy 100% non nonwhite guy in a job that is well over his head.

JMHO bro...
The reality of it is the ultimate call on KO will be made by Susan Herbst. In the mean time her job is to make everyone happy by appearing to defer. She is hands on. The win over Michigan State gave KO a great deal of leverage. He is a smart guy and this leverage he will use to his advantage. Every business dealing has a risk/reward analysis. If you are KO you are just concentrating on the coaching job ahead and taking advantage of the reward factor.

I would have offered KO a 2 year deal before the season started. Each day that goes by his stock is rising. He is in a position of strength right now. I don't anticipate that changing. I knew before the season started he would win games this year.

Actually I think race driven criticism is warranted on occasion. That can be reverse or otherwise.

All JMHO of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak