Recruiting Handicaps | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Handicaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know why this is a mystery at all. Tom Moore explained in detail what happened. UConn was on top of Gay his soph. year, precisely because of Calhoun's connections to the head of Baltimore Parks & Rec. (not Cecil Kirk). The head was Reggie Lewis's mentor from the early 80s. He's the one that put together the Beltway Ballers 2 years later. UConn paid $22k for the game. The money went to the City of Baltimore in the name of Baltimore Parks & Rec. Gay never played for the Ballers.

The point is, this was not an AAU connection, as the whole thing was done on the fly. This went through Reggie Lewis' old coach. is it a connection? Of course. But personally, I prefer UConn's money going to a City non-profit rather than the pockets of the Pumps. Don't you?

The "head of Baltimore Parks & Rec" and "Reggie Lewis's mentor from the early 80s" is a guy named Anthony Lewis. He mentored Reggie Lewis when he played for Cecil Kirk, which Lewis started, and runs. The Beltway Ballers was made up of a bunch of former Cecil Kirk AAU players. No one said Rudy played for them, that was the whole point. They were put together for a one-off exhibition.

I don't know if you're doing it intentionally or not, but Reggie Lewis's old coach ran the AAU program - Cecil Kirk - that was at the center of all of this. Saying anything else is just ridiculous, whether the $ nominally went to build a swingset or not.

Reaction Score
The "head of Baltimore Parks & Rec" and "Reggie Lewis's mentor from the early 80s" is a guy named Anthony Lewis. He mentored Reggie Lewis when he played for Cecil Kirk, which Lewis started, and runs. The Beltway Ballers was made up of a bunch of former Cecil Kirk AAU players. No one said Rudy played for them, that was the whole point. They were put together for a one-off exhibition.

I don't know if you're doing it intentionally or not, but Reggie Lewis's old coach ran the AAU program - Cecil Kirk - that was at the center of all of this. Saying anything else is just ridiculous, whether the $ nominally went to build a swingset or not.

Nominally? You don't think it's a big deal that Uconn was accused of payoffs, while guys like Gary Williams stuff dollars into the Pump brothers pockets?

This is the sort of BS that UConn has to deal with:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy....html?nav=hcmodule&sid=ST2009021102913&s_pos=

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2009/02/the_gary_williams_interview.html

When you can't differentiate between the Pumps and Beltway Ballers, this is what happens.

By the way, did I say Calhoun didn't deal with AAU guys? No. Of course he did. But Cecil Kirk was put together AFTER Calhoun and Lewis became friendly. His connection was to Lewis long before any of the AAU stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom