Recruiting Boost? | The Boneyard

Recruiting Boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we win it all... how big a boost would it be for recruiting?
And ND at three straight final fours yet not titles...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If we win it all... how big a boost would it be for recruiting?
And ND at three straight final fours yet not titles...

tumblr_ln0ealwzry1qd6e6ho1_250.gif

UCONN needs a boost in recruiting ??

I think you guys will be just fine in terms of recruiting... win or lose on Tuesday ;)

Talking to co-workers who dont follow WCBB that much... the perception among them is that UCONN gets the best players anyway. Was watching the Sweet 16 over my parents house on Easter, and my father... who has probably never watched more than 15 minutes of WCBB in his 73 years.... asked if UCONN and TENN still get all the players. I told him, pretty much... throw in Stanford as well.

Reaction Score
View attachment 2686

I think you guys will be just fine in terms of recruiting... win or lose on Tuesday ;)

Talking to co-workers who dont follow WCBB that much... the perception among them is that UCONN gets the best players anyway. Was watching the Sweet 16 over my parents house on Easter, and my father... who has probably never watched more than 15 minutes of WCBB in his 73 years.... asked if UCONN and TENN still get all the players. I told him, pretty much... throw in Stanford as well.
Now you'll need to add UNC to that list. Poor Dukies, as if you never got any players.

Reaction Score
View attachment 2686

You can certainly add UNC and Duke right now.

Reaction Score
You'll correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that twice in five years UConnhas had recruiting classes consisting of the grand total of ONE player? When was the last time Duke had a one-player recruiting class? Ever? I should add that in both of those one-player class cases, the single UConn recruit was not highly ranked by the prestigiious rating services.

Doesn't sound to me too much like UConn gets its pick of the crop whenever it wants.

Reaction Score
You'll correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that twice in five years UConnhas had recruiting classes consisting of the grand total of ONE player? When was the last time Duke had a one-player recruiting class? Ever? I should add that in both of those one-player class cases, the single UConn recruit was not highly ranked by the prestigiious rating services.

Doesn't sound to me too much like UConn gets its pick of the crop whenever it wants.

I think Blue Star had Kelly at #4 behind Griner, Bone and Diggins.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I would think Cal would get a boost with getting this far with a second year coach...UCONN doesn't really ever need a boost in recruiting they are typically in the conversation.

Reaction Score
Winning a national championship doesn't help in recruiting must at all if any. In fact it can motivate top players to look elsewhere they can have a clearer impact on getting a program over the top.

Reaction Score
View attachment 2686

Look at the talent that Duke has had coming in over the last ten years. I think they probably outrank UConn easily if you want to follow the recruiting sites that evaluate classes. How many times has Duke had a top 3 recruiting class in the past ten years. I would say easily more so than UConn. UConn has gotten exceptional players but Duke and Baylor and Tennessee, Stanford and now North Carolina always have great classes. UConn had a phenomenal class last year but that might be the only time they've had the highest rated class since that great class of 2000(I think that was the year) with Sue Bird and Tamika Williams and Swin Cash and two other girls.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Look at the talent that Duke has had coming in over the last ten years. I think they probably outrank UConn easily if you want to follow the recruiting sites that evaluate classes. How many times has Duke had a top 3 recruiting class in the past ten years. I would say easily more so than UConn. UConn has gotten exceptional players but Duke and Baylor and Tennessee, Stanford and now North Carolina always have great classes. UConn had a phenomenal class last year but that might be the only time they've had the highest rated class since that great class of 2000(I think that was the year) with Sue Bird and Tamika Williams and Swin Cash and two other girls.

I've only followed WCBB recruiting for about 3 years :rolleyes: I'll defer to someone with more knowledge in that area ;)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I do not believe that decision (Wilson) has been made yet...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Overall recruiting rankings are not as important as getting right pieces. That includes the superduperstars, as well as the right complementary players. Uconn has consistently gotten #1 overall players and has had at least one #1 high school recruit on the team since 1994 (Nykesha, Shea, Tamika, D, Annie, Tina, Maya, KML, Stewie). And that doesn't include someone like Svet who wasn't ranked or Sue, who was criminally underranked or Stef, who's going on the Wall and will most likely be the best center in the country next year. UConn tends not to have top ranked recruiting classes because Geno doesn't like having a roster of 15 and is looking for very specific qualities (that he's usually right on in identifying, albeit not 100% by any means).

What Uconn doesn't have right now is the next game changing recruit. Stewie was heralded as the next great one, and she certainly has the potential to be. The question is: who's the next one, and can Uconn get her? I think Geno signing a contract extension helps more than another NC. A lot of kids come to Uconn because it's the place where you're most likely to be in the NC hunt. As long as Geno's in Storrs, that will continue to be the case.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
The best athletes always want to play and learn from the best coaches, win championships and perhaps have an opportunity to go pro someday. This is true for all athletes, in all sports, men and women.

Great coaches and programs don't appear out of thin air. Great leaders build these programs (John Wooden, Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Anson Dorrance, Dan Gable, Pat Summitt, Geno, et al) and make them into institutions of winning. They earn the right to attract the best talent.

WCBB has come a long way since TN, ODU and LaTech were dominating a thin field. The talent gets spread around ever more, every year now. It's true that UConn gets it's share of great players, as does the rest of the Top Ten teams. Difference is, UConn makes champions out of them.

Contrast that against all the mega recruiting classes of AA's Rutgers, Duke and UNC have received and squandered over the past decade.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You can add Cale Sanderson to Dan Gable as a wrestling coaching great three NCs in Three season at Penn State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom