Recruiting 2020: Josh Gray | The Boneyard

Recruiting 2020: Josh Gray

Reaction Score
Was at the Maine game yesterday along with Hassan Diarra (going to A&M). Are we actively recruiting him or is this more keep up the relationship with Putnam and PSA?

Reaction Score
From the Journal Inquirer. I'd imagine UConn isn't actively recruiting him with Javonte Brown Ferguson in the fold. But always good to keep all options open until a kid signs with someone else.

Josh Gray, a 7-foot center from New York who attends Putnam Science Academy, was on an unofficial visit to UConn and attended the game. Gray has scholarship offers from UConn, Georgia, LSU, Rhode Island and Rutgers, among others.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think Gray ends up at a lower tier AAC or A-10 type school. I don’t see him as a high major prospect. I don’t think any of the high majors who’ve shown interest are really actively recruiting. Too raw, too uncoordinated.

Reaction Score
On a random note - anyone know if Zaire Wade is any good.

I have no idea but I had also heard that’s hes more typical of a mid major kind of prospect

Reaction Score
On a random note - anyone know if Zaire Wade is any good.
I have no idea but I had also heard that’s hes more typical of a mid major kind of prospect

I looked this up not too long ago after getting in a heated debate with a friend about the lack of underrated players out of HS that become stars in the NBA. (CJ McCollum was the focus of the convo)

Dwyane Wade didnt sniff the top 50 in any recruiting systems back then, barely made the top 100 for most.

Zaire is currently ranked 130ish on 247sports but around 200 composite. Nonetheless, I would not bet against that kid in a million years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I looked this up not too long ago after getting in a heated debate with a friend about the lack of underrated players out of HS that become stars in the NBA. (CJ McCollum was the focus of the convo)

Dwyane Wade didnt sniff the top 50 in any recruiting systems back then, barely made the top 100 for most.

Zaire is currently ranked 130ish on 247sports but around 200 composite. Nonetheless, I would not bet against that kid in a million years.
It's impossible for coaches to not know who Zaire Wade is, and last I heard he has 3 D1 offers. If his name wasnt wade, he wouldn't be ranked 130 on 247.

Reaction Score

Curry, Westbrook, Dame, Jimmy, PG were all 3 stars. I think all unranked. Morant looks to be a future star and he was barely recruited. I think there were 10 3* picked in the first round just this past year. Recruiting is far from an exact science.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Curry, Westbrook, Dame, Jimmy, PG were all 3 stars. I think all unranked. Morant looks to be a future star and he was barely recruited. I think there were 10 3* picked in the first round just this past year. Recruiting is far from an exact science.

Agree largely, but weren’t most of those due to lack of exposure? Wade plays at Sierra Canyon alongside tons of blue-chip talent. Evaluators have had plenty of chances to see him.

Reaction Score
Agree largely, but weren’t most of those due to lack of exposure? Wade plays at Sierra Canyon alongside tons of blue-chip talent. Evaluators have had plenty of chances to see him.

Oh yeah. I am just pointing that somebody in that heated debate was way off.

Reaction Score

Would he be any good to offer if AG decides to leave?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Low to Mid major kid.
You think so? He’s been shooting up the rankings lately. He may be a mid major talent but he definitely ends up playing for a high major imo.

Reaction Score
If we were to go after another big for next year I'd want it to be a high upside guy like Cliff, or see if guys like Franck Kepnang or Sanogo can reclass.

Josh Gray isn't a talent upgrade and would be more of a depth piece. Javonte is already our 1 big that is more of a long term project than an immediate impact.

Our last scholly imo should be used to get the most talent we can get (even if it's a sit-out transfer) rather than just to fill a position because our team next year already has depth at each position.

Reaction Score
Elijah Hutchins-Everett is the better Putnam Science Forward/Center. EHE is eligible to reclassify to 2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom