Recruit commitments | The Boneyard

Recruit commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry, no news. It seems as if decisions from the class of 2013 have been very slow in coming, so I looked up the verbal dates for the class of 2012. Sure enough, things are running slow--very slow.

Morgan--11/17/10, about 17 months ago.

Breanna--1/31/11, nearly 15 months ago.

Moriah--5/5/11, just shy of 12 months ago.

In less than 3 weeks, we will have gone a full year with the class of 2012 being finalized (we did wait for at least Xylina until the fall to realize we were finished). And at that point, we could have a 2013 class of exactly 0 players. The good news is that the same is true for most schools. I think the Tennessee and other coaching situations being resolved were a necessary first step. When some of the top 10 kids announce, things will begin falling into place like dominoes. Even still, the class of 2013 verbals, as a group, may be very late by historical standards. Will we see a trickle, a flood, or a continued drought over the next month?

Reaction Score
I was wondering about that, too. I checked Nan's recruits site today to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

TN has no commits, either, but not surprising, given their situation.

Reaction Score
TN, like every other program has no committs.
I was wondering about that, too. I checked Nan's recruits site today to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

TN has no commits, either, but not surprising, given their situation.
no top recruit has committed. it's not a TN thing.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
TN, like every other program has no committs.

no top recruit has committed. it's not a TN thing.
well, it kind of is. Typically, a couple of elite kids commit, and other dominoes start to fall. Three of the most common destinations have been UConn, Tennessee, and the Texas schools. Problems:

1. This is an uncommonly weak year for Texas talent.

2. UConn's depth is probably giving kids at least a little bit of pause.

3. Yes, the uncertainty at Tennessee has given recruits pause.

The result is a perfect storm of indecision. No, it's not just a Tennessee thing, but it's one of the major factors.

JS

Reaction Score
Even still, the class of 2013 verbals, as a group, may be very late by historical standards. Will we see a trickle, a flood, or a continued drought over the next month?
Could this be the year that puts all other "weak recruiting years" to shame? It's finally dawned on me that, brace yourselves, there may be no commitments from 2013 at all.

Wouldn't surprise me if the few players who've committed are under pressure to de-commit. The early signing period will finally live up to its name, with everyone concluding it's too early to sign. Then the "regular" signing period, when no one used to sign at all, will come and go, with 2013 still stubbornly refusing to say where they're going.

Coaches will call and call, and they'll say "Well, I might go somewhere, and then again I might not. All these teams have issues, and I just can't decide. I might just stay home and twitter with my friends about how we're all not going anywhere."

Player parents will become anxious that their friends' nerdy kids are going to college, and paying for it, but the basketball players, who could get a free ride, aren't.

Hoopgurlz, ASGR and Blue Star will fold. Nobody will look at their rankings anymore or subscribe to the pay services. "Who cares where they're ranked?' the coaches will say. They aren't coming anyway. I might as well have the 80th ranked player not come as a top-fiver not come."

2013 -- the Noncommittal Class -- will go down in history when they all play beach volleyball for a year and then become walk-ons to rugby clubs or roll-ons to roller derbies. By the time they make up their minds what colleges they want to attend, they'll be older than their professors.

But take your time, ladies. Let's not be hasty. You could be the first class to have Medicare cover your basketball injuries. Remember, with age comes wisdom, and when the athleticism goes, craftiness takes over.

images

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...But take your time, ladies. Let's not be hasty...

-Please! Can’t somebody,… anybody warn me when JS is about to post?!?.
-Replacing all these burned-out sarcasmometers is killing my budget!
Sarcasm Meter.jpg

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree alexrgct..........I too think UConn's depth could be giving prospects pause. With the Huskies graduating 3 in 2013 (Doty; Buck; and Faris) roster spots will open up. But exceptional talents like DeShields , McCall , Reimer , Chong , and Tucker will find plenty of playing time on what will surely be a couple of National Championships.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Alex put it well i nterms of the perfect storm.

Following up on JS's point, the 2013 class will communicate by social media, form a unified front, and all go to Europe next year to create their own league.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an odd year certainly in that so few top 100 players have committed let alone top 20. I think part of that is waiting on coaching situations to be clarified, and there have been high profile changes with TX and TN that could have had ripple effects (though ended up not.) I do wonder when commitments will begin, and I think we might see a flurry once the first few happen.
With Uconn specifically - I am surprised that we have reportedly only made three offers and all to forwards. I would have expected at least one offer to a guard seeing as we are losing Doty and Ferris. I wouldn't be surprised if Reimer is waiting on Diamond to commit if she is seriously considering Uconn. With McCall, if she is looking at Stanford as reported then she probably has to wait for an early admissions ruling (not sure when that happens? Sept?)
I actually think this waiting by recruits is a healthy thing - making the first major decision of your life is not something you should rush into.

Reaction Score
It is an odd year certainly in that so few top 100 players have committed let alone top 20. I think part of that is waiting on coaching situations to be clarified, and there have been high profile changes with TX and TN that could have had ripple effects (though ended up not.) I do wonder when commitments will begin, and I think we might see a flurry once the first few happen.
With Uconn specifically - I am surprised that we have reportedly only made three offers and all to forwards. I would have expected at least one offer to a guard seeing as we are losing Doty and Ferris. I wouldn't be surprised if Reimer is waiting on Diamond to commit if she is seriously considering Uconn. With McCall, if she is looking at Stanford as reported then she probably has to wait for an early admissions ruling (not sure when that happens? Sept?)
I actually think this waiting by recruits is a healthy thing - making the first major decision of your life is not something you should rush into.
Linnae Harper, a guard from the midwest has an offer. I recall that Stanford early admissions can be determined as early as midsummer so we may know more about McCall's plans sooner.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Reimer is waiting on Diamond to commit if she is seriously considering Uconn.
Are you thinking that Taya wants playing time and will not go where Diamond goes, or that she wants to play with Diamond?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Linnae Harper, a guard from the midwest has an offer. I recall that Stanford early admissions can be determined as early as midsummer so we may know more about McCall's plans sooner.
I knew Harper had been added to the list of recruits, hadn't heard that an offer had been extended - usually that doesn't happen before a campus visit, so are you sure?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Are you thinking that Taya wants playing time and will not go where Diamond goes, or that she wants to play with Diamond?
I was thinking with the current roster that she might not want to come if DD committed - I have no knowledge if that might be the case and it might be the other way for all I know. I just think we have a roster that is fairly strong in forwards in 2013 and if either of them is looking at that issue in regard to Uconn or any other college they have in common, the other's decision might affect their own.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to see the list of schools that the recruits from 2013 have ruled out. That list may be shorter. :)

Reaction Score

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Texas recruit reopens commitment....

No. 28 ('14) Jada Terry reopens her recruitment

April 24, 2012
Apr 24
05:38
PM ET
Jada Terry of Cedar Hill, Texas, has reopened her recruitment, according to her mother, Shelia Ethridge. The No. 28 prospect in the 2013 class according to ESPN HoopGurlz, rescinded the commitment she gave to Texas under previous head coach Gail Goestenkors. The Longhorns replaced Goestenkors, who resigned, this spring with former North Texas and UNC-Charlotte head coach Karen Aston.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Her preliminary list of schools includes Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina, Stanford, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Virginia."

Surprised Duke is not on the list.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Jada Terry was inevitable once Candace Adams opened up her commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom