OT: - Recommendations on Johnny Cash biography | The Boneyard

OT: Recommendations on Johnny Cash biography

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The last two years, I have begun listening more often to Johnny Cash songs on Pandora. Some of his work, particularly those that he sings with or about June Carter, and those that he performed in his prison concerts, have gotten me intrigued about his background.

Does anyone have a biography on him they would like to recommend? I just started reading Bird at the Buzzer last night and don't have another book in queue when I'm done with this. Thanks!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm a long time Cash fan (from the 60s). "Man in Black" is his autobiography written in the 70s. There's a lot of bio stuff on line. Also if you haven't seen it "Walk the Line" is a pretty good movie based on the book.

From his America IV album -

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The last two years, I have begun listening more often to Johnny Cash songs on Pandora. Some of his work, particularly those that he sings with or about June Carter, and those that he performed in his prison concerts, have gotten me intrigued about his background.

Does anyone have a biography on him they would like to recommend? I just started reading Bird at the Buzzer last night and don't have another book in queue when I'm done with this. Thanks!

Me too. Johnny Cash is one of my favorite C/W singers. I currently have 37 artists on my Pandora artist play list. Cash has been on there from the beginning. Along with Hoyt Axton, Brenda Lee, Boxcar Willie, Eddy Arnold, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins and of course the incomparable Gentleman Jim Reeves. Too many others to name.

My mom was a big C/W fan. I grew up listening to all of the old timers of the 50’s & 60’s. For those of you that are not using the FREE Pandora app (playing FREE music on your TV, computer & cell phone), you're missing out on a wonderful thing. iHeart Radio is nice too. :rolleyes: I usually have Pandora music playing in the background when I visit the yard, like right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I share both your passion for Johnny Cash’s music and your curiosity about Johnny Cash, the man. Several years ago, I read a biography about Johnny Cash I believe will not be equaled any time soon, if ever. The book is titled Johnny Cash: The Life and is by Robert Hilburn. Originally published in 2013, I cannot recommend it strongly enough. Although over 600 pages in length, the man depicted is compelling and complicated and his life’s tale is extremely well-told. Read it and you will know a great deal about the Man in Black in his glory and complexity.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I loved the original "I Walk the Line" movie. It was made in 1970.
The movie was NOT about Johnny Cash, but it starred Gregory Peck, who got involved with some Southern moonshiners. He was a sheriff.
The best thing about the film was that CASH sang all the background songs in the movie......Excerpts from this film can be found on U-tube.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom