OT: - Recommendations for things to do in Martha’s Vineyard | The Boneyard

OT: Recommendations for things to do in Martha’s Vineyard

Reaction Score
On Sunday, I’m going to MV with my daughter and one of my UConn friends is joining us with her two kids. Kids ages are 14, 13, and 10.

One day we’re taking a ferry to Nantucket. But other than that, any recommendations for things that are really cool to see? Good restaurants?

Reaction Score
I was there for a week a few years back. We mostly biked and went to the beach. It's pretty laid back. Expect crowds for dinner if eating out. There was a grass airfield adjacent to a diner that we watched small planes take off from. I'm talking dual wing, two seater type planes. Think Snoopy. Pretty cool, not even a windshield. Think it was called Right Fork diner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When approaching women dressed fully in white don’t try to make eye contact.

Reaction Score
There was a grass airfield adjacent to a diner that we watched small planes take off from. I'm talking dual wing, two seater type planes. Think Snoopy. Pretty cool, not even a windshield. Think it was called Right Fork diner.

Right Fork Diner in Edgartown. Did the plane rides at the Katama Airfield as a kid; a lot of fun, but a little pricey.

I generally prefer Edgartown, specifically the Katama area since it is by the beach. The area around Stop and Shop is to be avoided at all costs when driving around (traffic is awful all the time).

IMO, the best thing you can do there is driving your car on the beach to hang during the day (we always go to Norden Point), renting a bike for afternoon/evening, then going out to eat at any of Chesca's, Alchemy, or Newes to name a few.

Morning Glory is great for fresh salads, fruits, and vegetables. They have really good baked goods as well.

A fun thing to do is go to the Jaws Bridge (as seen in the movie) and jump off into the water, kids also like the carousel in Oak Bluffs that involves catching the rings to try and get the brass ring.

Reaction Score
Right Fork Diner in Edgartown. Did the plane rides at the Katama Airfield as a kid; a lot of fun, but a little pricey.

I generally prefer Edgartown, specifically the Katama area since it is by the beach. The area around Stop and Shop is to be avoided at all costs when driving around (traffic is awful all the time).

IMO, the best thing you can do there is driving your car on the beach to hang during the day (we always go to Norden Point), renting a bike for afternoon/evening, then going out to eat at any of Chesca's, Alchemy, or Newes to name a few.

Morning Glory is great for fresh salads, fruits, and vegetables. They have really good baked goods as well.

A fun thing to do is go to the Jaws Bridge (as seen in the movie) and jump off into the water, kids also like the carousel in Oak Bluffs that involves catching the rings to try and get the brass ring.
These all sound phenomenal - thank you! We’re staying in Edgartown. I know exactly the area you’re talking about near Stop n’ Shop. That is painful, but still better than driving to work!
Thank you!

Reaction Score
Back Door donuts in Oak Bluffs is a must. Kids may like the old fashioned carolsel also in Oaks Bluff. Jump off the Jaws bridge on the main road between Edgartown and Oaks Bluff along the water. If you are adventurous Lake Tashmoo beach. Need a car to get there but a great isolated beach area. Lookout Tavern In Oaks Bluff is a good restaurant. The News in Edgartown is also good. Red Cat Kitchen in Oaks Bluff is amazing but expensive. Chefs name is Ben you would need a reservation.

Reaction Score
This sounds awesome - thank you! I knew there were so many things we missed last time.
Try Atria in Edgartown. Know the chef/owner. Great guy...great food. They have nice upstairs restaurant and great burger joint downstairs. Get the truffle parm fries.

Reaction Score
My favorite things to do on the Vineyard are bike rides to the Aquinnah cliffs or South Beach (not far from Edgartown), hang out at the Seafood Shanty in Edgartown for food and drink and eating lobster from the fish market at Menemsha while watching the sunset. You get quite a crowd there with many people bringing champagne. I have also heard that the lobster ice cream at Mad Martha's in Oak Bluffs is good but I have never tried it.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The two main beaches are State beach between Oak Bluffs and Edgertown - nice, just for playing around on and South Beach, which has great surf. Plan on taking the "on-time ferry" over to Chappaquiddick - the barrier beach at the end of the island is beautiful and not as crowded as the main island beaches. There is a very cool beach in the middle of the island south of the main road - its a little hard to find and fills up early-Long Point Refuge Beach - worth a visit Long Point Wildlife Refuge | Martha's Vineyard, MA | The Trustees

Walk around Oak Bluffs - the "Campground" cottages are very cool and even though the kids are older, the Flying Horses merry go round where they get to go for the brass ring is a lot of fun. Bring home some Black Dog Tee shirts. As other posters said the little towns are all fun to walk around. Edgertown is full of little touristy shops. If you're lucky one of the lighthouses may be open to visitors, I've climbed up the Edgertown Beach light.

Have fun!

Reaction Score
Where r u staying, and how will u get there, and how will u get around? Bigger place than u think.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When you go to Aquinnah check in advance to see if the lighthouse is open; if it is, check it out. It is very cool-especially the history of how they moved it—and the kids will dig it.

The kids will like Oak Bluffs better than Edgartown.

If you have a car do the beach at Long Point in West Tisbury. You’ll have to pay like $20 for a carful but it is worth it; walk all the way to the right when you get on the beach and you can get to an awesome barrier beach where the Tisbury Great Pond meets the Atlantic Ocean. If the sea gate is open you can jump in the pond and let the current sweep you out to sea. Very cool. On weekends and nice days in high season you have to get to the lot by 10:00 to be safe; otherwise it might be full. It is a Trustees of Reservations property (that’s who you pay the fee to) and they also have several other great properties and also some great kayak trips (including a very cool one in Chappaquiddick).

The Martha’s Vineyard Land Bank also has several very cool properties throughout the island with neat hikes to awesome beaches and ponds. Check them out online if this interests you. All are free.

Look for live music from Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish or Mike Benjamin. Both really talented and a lot of fun.

I would skip the day trip to Nantucket. You will spend more time on the boat than you will spend on the island. The boats are bigger, the cobblestone streets are cool, the restaurants are nice and there are a few nice shops, but the best thing about Nantucket imo is the beach accessibility (much easier and better than the Vineyard imo) but you likely won’t be going there just to go to the beach, because you can do that on the Vineyard.

Food options for that age range can be dicey out there. Nancy’s in Oak Bluffs has something for everyone. If they like seafood definitely plan to head to Larsen’s in Menemsha one day. Get oysters and BYOB and watch the sunset from the beach. The Bite has great chowder and the Galley has a nice fish sandwich. Grab something from each.

Chilmark Chocolates is a must. Check the hours, they are somewhat weird. And expect a line unless you time it right.

Other sunset options are Lake Tashmoo or Lambert’s Cove, which is also an awesome spot for night swimming.

Definitely do the Flying Horses carousel. It’s a blast at any age.

Oh yeah, apple fritters at Back Door Donuts are the proper call.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cliffs are amazing, definitely worth it.
Can also rent a Jeep and drive it on the beach.
To be clear, you cannot drive on the beach where the cliffs are. You can only do that in Chappaquiddick (and the part of South Beach you have to drive through to get there).

Reaction Score
When you go to Aquinnah check in advance to see if the lighthouse is open; if it is, check it out. It is very cool-especially the history of how they moved it—and the kids will dig it.

The kids will like Oak Bluffs better than Edgartown.

If you have a car do the beach at Long Point in West Tisbury. You’ll have to pay like $20 for a carful but it is worth it; walk all the way to the right when you get on the beach and you can get to an awesome barrier beach where the Tisbury Great Pond meets the Atlantic Ocean. If the sea gate is open you can jump in the pond and let the current sweep you out to sea. Very cool. On weekends and nice days in high season you have to get to the lot by 10:00 to be safe; otherwise it might be full. It is a Trustees of Reservations property (that’s who you pay the fee to) and they also have several other great properties and also some great kayak trips (including a very cool one in Chappaquiddick).

The Martha’s Vineyard Land Bank also has several very cool properties throughout the island with neat hikes to awesome beaches and ponds. Check them out online if this interests you. All are free.

Look for live music from Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish or Mike Benjamin. Both really talented and a lot of fun.

I would skip the day trip to Nantucket. You will spend more time on the boat than you will spend on the island. The boats are bigger, the cobblestone streets are cool, the restaurants are nice and there are a few nice shops, but the best thing about Nantucket imo is the beach accessibility (much easier and better than the Vineyard imo) but you likely won’t be going there just to go to the beach, because you can do that on the Vineyard.

Food options for that age range can be dicey out there. Nancy’s in Oak Bluffs has something for everyone. If they like seafood definitely plan to head to Larsen’s in Menemsha one day. Get oysters and BYOB and watch the sunset from the beach. The Bite has great chowder and the Galley has a nice fish sandwich. Grab something from each.

Chilmark Chocolates is a must. Check the hours, they are somewhat weird. And expect a line unless you time it right.

Other sunset options are Lake Tashmoo or Lambert’s Cove, which is also an awesome spot for night swimming.

Definitely do the Flying Horses carousel. It’s a blast at any age.

Oh yeah, apple fritters at Back Door Donuts are the proper call.
Thank you - we’re actually going to see another UConn friend who lives in Nantucket so that’s why we’re doing the Nantucket day trip. This may turn into us doing Nantucket for a week next year.
All very good recommendations - thanks for the band recs - I love live music so that could be fun!

Reaction Score
Where r u staying, and how will u get there, and how will u get around? Bigger place than u think.
We are flying in because original vacation plans fell through - so car ferry was of course sold out. Last year we did walk on ferry and rented car but the plane tickets were only $300 out of JFK and I didn’t feel like driving 5 hours and THEN getting on a ferry. So now plane and renting car on island.
We’re staying in Edgartown. It’s close to the MA Audubon’s Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary and the Joseph Sylvia State Beach. We’re 3 miles from town and 4 miles from the beaches. It is a huge island and the houses I typically rent are remote.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom