OT: - Recommendations for Maximum Support Knee Braces for Sports? | The Boneyard

OT: Recommendations for Maximum Support Knee Braces for Sports?

Reaction Score
My apologies if this is inappropriate to post here!

I was just wondering...does anyone have tips/recs as I research knee braces for playing rec league volleyball?

(I should mention I have a doctor's appt. coming up where I will also ask about this!)

I'm wary b/c I had meniscus tear out of the blue trotting down the soccer field in high school (almost 20 years ago) and I'm significantly heavier these but play middle blocker because of my height, thus have to jump a lot putting extra impact on my knees.

My other sport in HS was actually triple jumping, so I tend to see my knees as having been through a lot as is, thus hope I can keep them together to continue playing in this volleyball league, as I've been having a blast so far.

Early on I was favoring this Hinged Knee Brace: Shock Doctor Maximum Support Compression Knee Brace, but now I'm getting the impression that perhaps one of these less expensive braces with more of a simple wrap-around-type design like the EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector or Vive Hinged Knee Brace might actually fit more snugly and possible offer more support and stability.

Lastly, I do own a Bracoo Knee Stabilizer Brace, Open-Patella Support, which had great reviews, but don't feel like it provides enough or the right support.

I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I recommend waiting till you talk to your orthopedist. The pro will know what you need. Plus if it’s prescribed and possibly custom, insurance may pay its share.

Reaction Score
I recommend waiting till you talk to your orthopedist. The pro will know what you need. Plus if it’s prescribed and possibly custom, insurance may pay its share.

Good point/call. Thank you!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My apologies if this is inappropriate to post here!

I was just wondering...does anyone have tips/recs as I research knee braces for playing rec league volleyball?

(I should mention I have a doctor's appt. coming up where I will also ask about this!)

I'm wary b/c I had meniscus tear out of the blue trotting down the soccer field in high school (almost 20 years ago) and I'm significantly heavier these but play middle blocker because of my height, thus have to jump a lot putting extra impact on my knees.

My other sport in HS was actually triple jumping, so I tend to see my knees as having been through a lot as is, thus hope I can keep them together to continue playing in this volleyball league, as I've been having a blast so far.

Early on I was favoring this Hinged Knee Brace: Shock Doctor Maximum Support Compression Knee Brace, but now I'm getting the impression that perhaps one of these less expensive braces with more of a simple wrap-around-type design like the EXOUS Knee Brace Support Protector or Vive Hinged Knee Brace might actually fit more snugly and possible offer more support and stability.

Lastly, I do own a Bracoo Knee Stabilizer Brace, Open-Patella Support, which had great reviews, but don't feel like it provides enough or the right support.

I appreciate any feedback!

Lot of experience with this stuff. Bad news for you is that there isn't really any brace that can support the meniscus specifically. There's no harm in getting one to support the overall stability of the knee. Those simple braces don't really do much other than keep the patella aligned.

The absolute number one thing you can do is strengthen the leg muscles around the knee,the hips, and your core. And increase flexibility in those areas. Nothing else comes close. Talk to your orthopedist about this.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lot of experience with this stuff. Bad news for you is that there isn't really any brace that can support the meniscus specifically. There's no harm in getting one to support the overall stability of the knee. Those simple braces don't really do much other n keep the patella aligned.

The absolute number one thing you can do is strengthen the leg muscles around the knee,the hips, and your core. And increase flexibility in those areas. Nothing else comes close. Talk to your orthopedist about this.

As far as braces specifically, I'd stick with the traditional big brands like Mueller or Don Joy. They have quite a selection. I'd personally pass on a custom, as I don't think they offer much difference, other than exhorbitant expense.

That shock doctor is fine, but I again, I personally would go with the Mueller/Don joy,etc option. I haven't been to keen on shock doctor fit in the past,but that's just me.

Again, talk to a good orthopedist. They probably have a favorite they recommend. Doesn't mean it's necessarily any better mind you, it's just one they are comfortable going with.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As far as braces specifically, I'd stick with the traditional big brands like Mueller or Don Joy. They have quite a selection. I'd personally pass on a custom, as I don't think they offer much difference, other than exhorbitant expense.

That shock doctor is fine, but I again, I personally would go with the Mueller/Don joy,etc option. I haven't been to keen on shock doctor fit in the past,but that's just me.

Again, talk to a good orthopedist. They probably have a favorite they recommend. Doesn't mean it's necessarily any better mind you, it's just one they are comfortable going with.

If you are looking for a slightly less bulky brace that still provides good overall support for athletics,. Bauerfeind makes excellent braces, like this one.

Remember, nothing comes close to a good strengt/rehab program when it comes to knee stability.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If you are looking for a slightly less bulky brace that still provides good overall support for athletics,. Bauerfeind makes excellent braces, like this one.

Remember, nothing comes close to a good strengt/rehab program when it comes to knee stability.
Agree with everything you’ve said. My orthopod did recommend an off-the-shelf brace, and it was to keep the patella aligned. In the end, it was strength and flexibility exercises (and a few rounds of PT including treatment for inflammation) that did it. Once I mixed cycling into my usual activities (I’m a runner), I haven’t been to PT for probably 15 years.

Reaction Score

Thank you so much. This is very helpful, and reinforces the idea that I really do need to do more strengthening work with my leg muscles around the knee, hips, and core. Especially as I am much heavier (in the "beer belly") than I was back when I played more sports that involved jumping and high impact activity in the past. Even though I know I need to do this, it's very easy to neglect, so I'm definitely going to see look into some programs where I work with a physical therapist (for proper form guidance as well as to make sure I don't shirk).

I did read a lot of reviews mentioning difficulty with sizing for that Shock Doctor brace so I think I will steer clear of it. And thanks also for the specific recs. I really appreciate it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was not going to chime in on your questions, but something just happened that causes me to speak: Our Ad package just threw a big ad to the bottom of my page about "healing your meniscus" and it can be entirely nonsense or half true, but when you click on it it does take you to a page with some pretty neat knee illustrations! Knee Injury Meniscus Treatment

When you @kat0189 first posted I wanted to ask you if you could get your exercise and team comradery out of another less knee stressful program and I still think that is worth exploring - like water polo(like looking for a needle in the hay stack I imagine). But we all need what we need.

Braces. I've had knee problems since my first major cartilage loss at 17. Braces have always been a problem because I have high knee caps. However, 55 years of improvement have lead me to Mueller as the company with the fullest product line with reasonable prices. It doesn't have to be the full boat brace with metal or plastic lateral braces either. A knee sock of varying tension can offer support and hold swelling at bay on those days your knee is doing some protesting. I have the heavy brace, w/o heavy "side struts" (some flexible thin plasticky stuff) and 3 different socks from heavy to light.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I personally am astounded that they have yet to come up with anything better than what they presently have with respect to athletic braces. The materials they have to work with today are thinner, stronger and certainly flexible enough to produce something better than they have constructed today. Probably, because medical people generally lack the creativity and knowledge of available materials to combine with their medical knowhow to produce that better mousetrap.

Reaction Score
I was not going to chime in on your questions, but something just happened that causes me to speak: Our Ad package just threw a big ad to the bottom of my page about "healing your meniscus" and it can be entirely nonsense or half true, but when you click on it it does take you to a page with some pretty neat knee illustrations! Knee Injury Meniscus Treatment

When you @kat0189 first posted I wanted to ask you if you could get your exercise and team comradery out of another less knee stressful program and I still think that is worth exploring - like water polo(like looking for a needle in the hay stack I imagine). But we all need what we need.

Braces. I've had knee problems since my first major cartilage loss at 17. Braces have always been a problem because I have high knee caps. However, 55 years of improvement have lead me to Mueller as the company with the fullest product line with reasonable prices. It doesn't have to be the full boat brace with metal or plastic lateral braces either. A knee sock of varying tension can offer support and hold swelling at bay on those days your knee is doing some protesting. I have the heavy brace, w/o heavy "side struts" (some flexible thin plasticky stuff) and 3 different socks from heavy to light.

Thanks, that's actually an interesting link that you shared! And, yes, I've also thought (sulked) over the idea of doing some pool exercises (which I don't really enjoy) instead.

Also, thanks @willtalk for chiming in!

I start out seeing my primary care doc tomorrow then likely referred out to an orthopedist soon after. Fingers crossed!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
past. Even though I know I need to do this, it's very easy to neglect, so I'm definitely going to see look into some programs where I work with a physical therapist (for proper form guidance as well as to make sure I don't shirk).

That's the best thing you can do. They'll figure out where you are weak and inflexible and give you a good routine to match.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Another thing about PTs is that they aren’t limited to spending 10-15 minutes with you. I know my experience isn’t universal, but in my (many) case(s), the first evaluation has taken 30-90 minutes, and for regular one-hour appointments, there would be 20-30 minutes of hands-on time. My experience is that PTs will do significant customization based on them patient’s feedback. And they’ll keep you accountable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom