Recently Watched Movies 2023 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

Reaction Score
Welcome to the new Recently Seen Movie Thread!!!

Previous Editions: 2018 -- 2019 -- 2020 -- 2021 -- 2022

Sadly there will be no recap this year but I urge everyone to post a top 5/10/20 list or whatever for 2022.
Give us all some suggestions we can catch up with, I know I for one am woefully behind. Cheers.​

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Welcome to the new Recently Seen Movie Thread!!!

Previous Editions: 2018 -- 2019 -- 2020 -- 2021 -- 2022

Sadly there will be no recap this year but I urge everyone to post a top 5/10/20 list or whatever for 2022.
Give us all some suggestions we can catch up with, I know I for one am woefully behind. Cheers.​
I've got some time, so will give this a go. Might take a few days. Did January last night, took about 25 minutes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For an old movie I wouldn't do this, but it was released in 2023, so I'm posting it here.
The Pale Blue Eye. Netflix, released last week. Stars Christian Bale as a grizzled former police investigator Augustus Landon, and Harry Melling and West Point Cadet Edgar Alan Poe. Both of them are superb. Melling has a creepy manner. Bale has really embraced middle age and it suits him. Landor is asked to investigate a crime at West Point in 1830. The academy is under scrutiny and some want it shut down. Poe is a cadet who is interested in the case and assists Lander. The cast is good except Gillian Anderson. The story is compelling and has many small twists as it unravels to a conclusion. It’s feels like it carries you forward and it’s a ride you can’t get off, like a book you can’t put down. Best Netflix movie in some time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I put this in the '22 thread, but I watched it in '23:

Just watched "The Menu." I just didn't get it. I didn't enjoy it at all. Some reviewers called it brilliant satire or very dark comedy. Didn't hit the mark for me. Seemed ridiculous and pointless. But Anya Taylor-Joy is always very watchable.

Reaction Score
I put this in the '22 thread, but I watched it in '23:

Just watched "The Menu." I just didn't get it. I didn't enjoy it at all. Some reviewers called it brilliant satire or very dark comedy. Didn't hit the mark for me. Seemed ridiculous and pointless. But Anya Taylor-Joy is always very watchable.
I watched The Menu as well. Just a waste of time. Slow, uninteresting, not believable in any fashion, not scary, not suspenseful, not a single character you can identify with, a one note movie and that note was flat.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Prey for the Devil. Saw the previews several times at the movies and the wife wanted to see it. If you liked the Exorcism, you'll like this. It isn't as good as that, but it's better than the low production quality B movie efforts the genre often produces. Jaqueline Byers is well cast as Sister Ann. We get to see some of her past, including an occasionally abusive mom she thinks was possessed. Ann is working at an Exorcism school in Boston run by the Catholic Church, in a nurse/caretaker type role. Note: Bulgaria doesn't look at all like Boston. Some stuff happens and her interest and history result in greater involvement in exorcisms as she seeks to become the first female exorcist since the 1300s.. It has some interesting twists and the plot is fine. If you like these movies, this is decent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Prey for the Devil. Saw the previews several times at the movies and the wife wanted to see it. If you liked the Exorcism, you'll like this. It isn't as good as that, but it's better than the low production quality B movie efforts the genre often produces. Jaqueline Byers is well cast as Sister Ann. We get to see some of her past, including an occasionally abusive mom she thinks was possessed. Ann is working at an Exorcism school in Boston run by the Catholic Church, in a nurse/caretaker type role. Note: Bulgaria doesn't look at all like Boston. Some stuff happens and her interest and history result in greater involvement in exorcisms as she seeks to become the first female exorcist since the 1300s.. It has some interesting twists and the plot is fine. If you like these movies, this is decent.
To be fair, when I was working in Sofia back in 2003, they did have a Dunkin Donuts on Vitosha, the main drag. That place had an actual espresso machine with an actual barista, not a push button thing like US. And there's a great Irish pub, JJ Murphy's on Karnigradska.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To be fair, when I was working in Sofia back in 2003, they did have a Dunkin Donuts on Vitosha. That place had an actual espresso machine with an actual barista, not a push button thing like US. And there's a great Irish pub, JJ Murphy's on Karnigradska.
See, Boston has like 400 Dunks. The new Christmas Story movie was shot in Bulgaria. It's been going on some time, but seems to have picked up.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
See, Boston has like 400 Dunks. The new Christmas Story movie was shot in Bulgaria. It's been going on some time, but seems to have picked up.
They shoot a ton of stuff over there. Used to be all B-movie stuff. I became friends with a guy from LA who was an assistant director on some of them (a few with Bruce Campbell, IIRC), and he was one of my prime drinking buddies at JJ Murphy's. It's an interesting city. A lot of old-world European architecture mixed with Greek/Turkish facades, and a whole bunch of cheap block-style Communist apartments and municipal buildings.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For an old movie I wouldn't do this, but it was released in 2023, so I'm posting it here.
The Pale Blue Eye. Netflix, released last week. Stars Christian Bale as a grizzled former police investigator Augustus Landon, and Harry Melling and West Point Cadet Edgar Alan Poe. Both of them are superb. Melling has a creepy manner. Bale has really embraced middle age and it suits him. Landor is asked to investigate a crime at West Point in 1830. The academy is under scrutiny and some want it shut down. Poe is a cadet who is interested in the case and assists Lander. The cast is good except Gillian Anderson. The story is compelling and has many small twists as it unravels to a conclusion. It’s feels like it carries you forward and it’s a ride you can’t get off, like a book you can’t put down. Best Netflix movie in some time.
Pretty good. I thought it was over and then there was a whole new third act.

Gillian didn't bug me. I think that's probably how that character should've been played. Wouldn't have guessed it was her though if I hadn't known she was in cast. Aging gets to everyone.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rosaline (Hulu 2022) - Most alternative history movies like Inglorius Basterds or RRR are violent, action movies/thrillers. Rosaline does alternative history as a comedy, and it works really well. The premise of Rosaline is that Romeo and Juliet was actually a love triangle between two female cousins that spiraled out of control. I can't tell if the does a great job, or that the premise is such an easy layup for a good movie that they couldn't screw it up, but either way, this movie is a lot of fun.

Kaitlyn Dever has locked up the "smug, know-it-all who screws up a lot" roles for her generation, and the rest of the younger cast is up and coming GenZ'ers who do a really good job. Bradley Whitford, Minnie Driver and Christopher McDonald are all good in supporting roles.

It is interesting how much the portrayal of women in comedies, and the type of actress and actor that gets lead roles, has changed so much in 20 years. At the beginning of the Milennium, the top young comedy actresses were Christina Applegate, Cameron Diaz, Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell and Reese Witherspoon, or crossover actresses like Rachel McAdams and Lindsay Lohan. All gorgeous, all pushing sex appeal as defined by men. It is a longer discussion, but someone like Kaitlyn Dever would likely have been a supporting actress of that generation. And the lead actors of the comedies of that era: Ben Stiller, Will Farrell, Steve Carrell, Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, were average looking at best, but somehow always got the babe in the movie. It can be argued that this genre reaches its peak in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, a movie about two smart, gorgeous women fighting over a whiny drip like Jason Segal's character. I liked the movie, but it was a bit misogynist.

In Rosaline, Dever plays opposite a guy that is basically a model in Sean Teale, who is brave, strong, cool and smart. Basically out of her league. But it works in the movie.

I think this trend is good for the most part. I bet there were a lot of great actresses from that earlier era who never got their shot at a lead because they didn't have the looks, and the ones that did get their shot were a mixed bag in terms of talent. Kunis, Bell, Applegate and Witherspoon were and are excellent. Diaz was kind of annoying, McAdams is only good in certain roles, and Lohan is pretty bad in everything she has done. It is good for the movie and TV industry that someone like Dever who looks more like a real person can be a female lead.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker (2023 Netflix). A very strange documentary about a very strange young man who became a cult hero, could've had his own TV show and millions, but just wanted to get high. Something in his wiring was off and he's no longer that cult hero.

It's odd, it's ultimately unfulfilling, but it's fairly compelling nonetheless because of not only the subject person, but all the TV and media pros who couldn't figure out what to do with him.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Glass Onion (2022). Honestly don't remember if I saw this right before or right after New Year's, but I'll put it here. I didn't get the point of Daniel Craig playing a southerner in the first one, and still don't. In Knives Out, his accent was supposedly Cajun (his name is French), but in the second, it's like nothing anyone has heard anywhere. Anyway, it was off-putting for me, at least until the plot thickened and the story got more interesting. Then it became Edward Norton who started to bug the crap out of me. As a plot, I suppose it held together somewhat. Seems to be a dig at Elon Musk. Anyway, lots of valuable stuff gets broken and it has its moments of fun.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Menu (2023) - A pointless mind****. Seeing Taylor-Joy having absolutely no ass was also disappointing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just saw Knives Out. It is at once, a spoof of whodunits, and a clever whodunit. Yes, Daniel Craig does seem miscast as the detective and his accent is a little grating. Otherwise, it is a clever, funny movie with best use of a vomit sight gag since Monty Python.

Basically, it is a murder mystery with a lot of twists and turns. Very well done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker (2023 Netflix). A very strange documentary about a very strange young man who became a cult hero, could've had his own TV show and millions, but just wanted to get high. Something in his wiring was off and he's no longer that cult hero.

It's odd, it's ultimately unfulfilling, but it's fairly compelling nonetheless because of not only the subject person, but all the TV and media pros who couldn't figure out what to do with him.
Is this about Kai? Smash, smash, saaamaaash!

Reaction Score
I just saw Knives Out. It is at once, a spoof of whodunits, and a clever whodunit. Yes, Daniel Craig does seem miscast as the detective and his accent is a little grating. Otherwise, it is a clever, funny movie with best use of a vomit sight gag since Monty Python.

Basically, it is a murder mystery with a lot of twists and turns. Very well done.

Ana de Armas is brilliant in it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Catcher Was a Spy. My father in law gave me this book many years ago. Based on the true story of Moe Berg, a catcher for the Boston Red Sox. He played with Ruth, Gerhrig and toured Japan with them, before the war. He was called Professor Berg, spoke many languages, educated at Princeton, Columbia and the Sorbonne. Stars Paul Rudd as Berg. Paul Giamatti, Jeff Daniels, Sienna Miller, Paul Giamati and others. Quite well done, no crazy effects or big budget movie magic. A wonderful story, told. A former catcher joins the OSS and engages in a critical mission. Wins the highest civilian honor there is, and turns it down. There are wrinkles here, but those don‘t matter and aren’t given unnecessary weight. Really enjoyed this. I’m sure this star studded cast didn’t do it for the money.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ana de Armas is brilliant in it.
Ana de Armas

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dog Gone (2023, Netflix). I am a sucker for dog movies. I almost don't care how bad the reviews are, I'll probably watch. Knew nothing about this one, but it's based on a true story of a dog that got lost on the Appalachian Trail and all the people who helped the family looking for the dog because, well, they all love dogs. There are several subplots: kid who got the dog from pound is basically a misfit and the dog became his whole life, kid thinks his parents hate him, mom lost a dog of her own as a kid, dad and kid bond during the search, and so on.

It's sappy, it's manipulative, the cast aren't particularly good actors (although Rob Lowe holds his own and is pretty good, actually). But if you have a dog that you cared about, you'll watch the damn thing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dog Gone (2023, Netflix). I am a sucker for dog movies. I almost don't care how bad the reviews are, I'll probably watch. Knew nothing about this one, but it's based on a true story of a dog that got lost on the Appalachian Trail and all the people who helped the family looking for the dog because, well, they all love dogs. There are several subplots: kid who got the dog from pound is basically a misfit and the dog became his whole life, kid thinks his parents hate him, mom lost a dog of her own as a kid, dad and kid bond during the search, and so on.

It's sappy, it's manipulative, the cast aren't particularly good actors (although Rob Lowe holds his own and is pretty good, actually). But if you have a dog that you cared about, you'll watch the damn thing.
Watched it with my parents Friday night. We're all suckers for dog movies too.

Reaction Score

Watched it with my parents Friday night. We're all suckers for dog movies too.

My wife is big into dog and for that matter, horse movies as well. One of her favorite comedies is "Best In Show", which is certainly a very good film.

Reaction Score
Watched The Menu this week. I liked it. Completely unrealistic, but I watch all those cooking shows like "Chef's Table" and found the story of the menu as the meal went on interesting. Especially "The Mess" and the following plate/course. And Anya Taylor-Joy's ass was fine. The fact that Dove is being picky on that is hilarious.

Watched the first "Knives Out" earlier this week. Shut it off maybe 45 minutes in. Reminded me of some old Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie made for TV movie.

Reaction Score
Watched The Menu this week. I liked it. Completely unrealistic, but I watch all those cooking shows like "Chef's Table" and found the story of the menu as the meal went on interesting. Especially "The Mess" and the following plate/course.
Agreed, the wife and I thought it was a good satire of our cultural obsession with Michelin stars and fine dining culture. Good suspense and enough comedy/lack of realism to not be too heavy with the violence. But I totally see how it would be a polarizing movie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom