Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

Reaction Score
The French Dispatch (2021) - A number of people in this thread have given this movie negative reviews. As I have mentioned before, I have been a big fan of Wes Anderson movies ever since I saw "Moonrise Kingdom". This movie generally got good reviews by the critics, but I also noticed that it did not get any Academy Award nominations, something that had caught my attention since Anderson movies have gotten nominated before.

Anyway, this is a movie that I would have a difficult time recommending to anyone, as I was rather disappointed in it considering how much I like other Wes Anderson movies. I just didn’t find it all that interesting, and there was nothing that to me really held the anthology format of separate stories together all that well. I wouldn’t call it truly bad, but I didn’t find it all that good either. While I enjoy art house movies from time to time, this one did go a bit over the top in that regard, something that other reviewers in this thread had noted.

There was one technical item that really bugged me, and that was the way parts of this movie were subtitled. The subtitles were a bit too small to read comfortably, and you were never given enough time to read them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Army of the Dead - I'm not a big zombie movie buff, although I did enjoy the comedy of Zombieland. I like the trailer on this one, but resisted watching until I was running out of movies to watch. Promising start that was a bit humorous, after which it became just another garden variety zombie movie, albeit with many more zombies and a group of super-zombies. Ella Purnell is cute and Tig Notaro gets the best lines as the cynical chopper pilot.

21 Bridges - Cop goes after bad cops. A story that's been done before but never with Chadwick Boseman. I don't think the guy ever made a bad movie. Too bad we lost him as he could play anything. As cop movies go, the plot is somewhat interesting, the leads convincing (a no-make up, seemingly chubby Sienna Miller and the always solid J.K. Simmons) and even the two main criminals have some depth. A good watch, not sure if I'd do it again, but it was a enjoyable ride.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Army of the Dead - I'm not a big zombie movie buff, although I did enjoy the comedy of Zombieland. I like the trailer on this one, but resisted watching until I was running out of movies to watch. Promising start that was a bit humorous, after which it became just another garden variety zombie movie, albeit with many more zombies and a group of super-zombies. Ella Purnell is cute and Tig Notaro gets the best lines as the cynical chopper pilot.

21 Bridges - Cop goes after bad cops. A story that's been done before but never with Chadwick Boseman. I don't think the guy ever made a bad movie. Too bad we lost him as he could play anything. As cop movies go, the plot is somewhat interesting, the leads convincing (a no-make up, seemingly chubby Sienna Miller and the always solid J.K. Simmons) and even the two main criminals have some depth. A good watch, not sure if I'd do it again, but it was a enjoyable ride.
I liked Army of the Dead well enough for a low budget flick.

I also thought The Courier was really good, but you have to like those kinds of movies.

Reaction Score

I also thought The Courier was really good, but you have to like those kinds of movies.

The Courier was a well made film. The British like that, on the down low, approach to the cold war. More craftsmanship than artistry. But I enjoyed it as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. 1965 black and white. Somewhat to @Palatine's point, with the Cold War fresh in mind now, my wife and I chose to watch this. Stars Richard Burton, Claire Bloom and some others who you'd recognize. This is based on a John LeCarre novel, and I believe predated "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy". The story is interesting, but in the exact opposite of modern movies, vast amounts of character development are omitted. Burton meets Bloom's character Nan and boom, they are lovers. What? Burton is an Mi6 man, who ran the Berlin station. They've been having their spies caught and killed. Control uses him to trap and infiltrate the East German intelligence community to put an end to it. As is typical of LeCarre, there are lots of twists and turns and you're not quite sure who is pulling what strings until the end. Smiley, the main guy in Tinker, Tailor, has a small role here. It's ok.

If you like these things, both the longer 1979 BBC Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy and the newer 2011 movie with Gary Oldham are much better. The long format unfolding in the 1979 BBC version just highlights how much detail was omitted in The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Alec Guinness is just extraordinary in it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Belfast 2021. Where to begin. Kenneth Branagh, ultimately, tells his own tale. His vision of what it was like as a boy in Belfast, a working class Protestant in a mostly Catholic neighborhood, when violence erupted in 1969. Branagh would be 9, like our lead, Buddy. The casting here is superb. Ciaran Hinds (himself a Belfast native born in 58) as the grandfather. You can sense how emotional this is for them. Catriona Balfe (from Outlander) is terrific as Buddy’s mom (and hot as usual). Jaime Dornan, another local, is very good as Buddy’s Pa. It opens with modern Belfast in color, clean, bright, safe, and reverts to black and white as we move to 1969. It’s wonderful filmmaking. Is it a bit nostalgic, clean, and safe despite the threats that appear? Yes, but we must suppose that’s how a 9 year old Kenneth Branagh remembered it. The best is recalled fondly and the worst is glossed over. And that feels right to me. It makes no judgments, no political point at all. Just a boy, showing you what he remembers of that time.

The music. Well @8893 would appreciate that Van Morrison is responsible and his own songs are 90% of the soundtrack, with a few noteworthy exceptions. It’s marvelous. Each song fits the moment flawlessly. Many I did not know. Some, like Carrickfergus, lend their emotional weight to critical points. I came away thinking I really must explore Van’s B side non-hit catalog, because these were some terrific songs.

What a pair of bookends. As a young man he gave us Henry V, showing Shakespeare in an entirely new light. I was mesmerized. Saw it at Trinity. Now this. Its quite personal and is more beautiful for it.

So tonight a re-watch of Belfast. I come away thinking this was definitely the best movie I saw from 2021. Nothing else is even close really. Branagh should take home a best director win as well. He was nominated as a young man for Henry V (which was brilliant) but hasn’t won an Oscar as director. Belfast is just a rare movie that is important, engaging, enjoyable and almost flawlessly executed. The music choices are so personal. Mostly Van Morrison. Cast is simply superb. All of them.
Finally saw Belfast last night. I agree with you that it's the best of the 2021 movies I've seen, but I still think it was a pretty weak year for movies; and I still think that Garfield's performance in tick, tick...BOOM is the best performance of the year, although I also thought Will Smith did a great job in King Richard, which we watched earlier this week.

As you know, I am a longtime Vanatic and I knew all the songs in Belfast very well. But I have noticed something of a trend this past year that I am still trying to figure out why it doesn't always strike the right chord with me, and that is the use of music in movies.

In particular, Tender Bar, Licorice Pizza and Belfast all had great songs throughout, but I felt like they were a bit overused in each, almost like a crutch to conjure nostalgia and essentially make a music video. As you note, the Van songs in Belfast almost seemed made for the scenes in which they were used, but because I had such a bond with those songs already, I knew otherwise and it somehow affected the impact on me in a way that seemed a bit cloying or saccharine, especially in a movie that really didn't otherwise need to rely on gimmicks.

And sadly, I will admit that Van's Covid "hoax" activities have still left me a bit soured on him and have made his music less impactful for me, but damn that man can sing.

Anyway, Belfast was by far the best of the bunch and told a compelling human story in a very effective, charming and bittersweet way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally saw Belfast last night. I agree with you that it's the best of the 2021 movies I've seen, but I still think it was a pretty weak year for movies; and I still think that Garfield's performance in tick, tick...BOOM is the best performance of the year, although I also thought Will Smith did a great job in King Richard, which we watched earlier this week.

As you know, I am a longtime Vanatic and I knew all the songs in Belfast very well. But I have noticed something of a trend this past year that I am still trying to figure out why it doesn't always strike the right chord with me, and that is the use of music in movies.

In particular, Tender Bar, Licorice Pizza and Belfast all had great songs throughout, but I felt like they were a bit overused in each, almost like a crutch to conjure nostalgia and essentially make a music video. As you note, the Van songs in Belfast almost seemed made for the scenes in which they were used, but because I had such a bond with those songs already, I knew otherwise and it somehow affected the impact on me in a way that seemed a bit cloying or saccharine, especially in a movie that really didn't otherwise need to rely on gimmicks.

And sadly, I will admit that Van's Covid "hoax" activities have still left me a bit soured on him and have made his music less impactful for me, but damn that man can sing.

Anyway, Belfast was by far the best of the bunch and told a compelling human story in a very effective, charming and bittersweet way.
Glad you liked it. I think your Van fandom (however modified by Covid comments) makes you somewhat unique in respect to the music. I knew most of those songs. To me it's simply another nod in the film, the greatest Northern Irish musician of all time, and one who was recording those tunes at exactly that period. Astral Weeks was 68 and Moondance was 70 (even if he was in NY then). Casting Ciaran Hinds is another nod, as he was there and was 16 at the time of those riots.

While it isn't pitched this way explicitly, the shift from modern Belfast to 69 and Black and White (Oz style in reverse) made me think (especially on re-watch) that you're there in Buddy's memories, and Buddy would be nostalgic, overly so. The exaggerated perfect happiness of the opening scene underscores that for me. I think you're meant to feel that exaggerated nostalgia we have for childhood people, places and music. Not sure if that makes sense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Glad you liked it. I think your Van fandom (however modified by Covid comments) makes you somewhat unique in respect to the music. I knew most of those songs. To me it's simply another nod in the film, the greatest Northern Irish musician of all time, and one who was recording those tunes at exactly that period. Astral Weeks was 68 and Moondance was 70 (even if he was in NY then). Casting Ciaran Hinds is another nod, as he was there and was 16 at the time of those riots.

While it isn't pitched this way explicitly, the shift from modern Belfast to 69 and Black and White (Oz style in reverse) made me think (especially on re-watch) that you're there in Buddy's memories, and Buddy would be nostalgic, overly so. The exaggerated perfect happiness of the opening scene underscores that for me. I think you're meant to feel that exaggerated nostalgia we have for childhood people, places and music. Not sure if that makes sense.
I like your take on seeing it through Buddy’s eyes, especially for the music scenes.

I also agree that my intense connection to that music, and my feelings about Van, are somewhat unique as among the typical viewers of the movie.

Minor point, but one I made last night—and at which Mrs. 8893 scoffed—is that none of those tunes are from the time period of the movie. They are all later, and in some cases (e.g. “Caledonia Swing,” “Stranded,” “Days Like This”) much later—like decades. The Oscar-nominated song from the opening, “Down to Joy,” is actually a 2021 remake of a very obscure early 70s Van song. The closest in proximity is probably “Wild Night,” off Tupelo Honey in 1971.

That said, two of them, “Bright Side of the Road” and “And The Healing Has Begun,” come from one of my overall favorites, Into the Music, from 1979. If you are looking for one to pick up that you don’t already have, that would be a terrific place to start.

Not featured at all in the movie, but No Guru, No Method, No Teacher is a dark horse favorite of mine that I always recommend. It’s an album I’ve turned to time and again for decades, especially at contemplative times or when I am at a crossroads of sorts. “In the Garden” is the centerpiece, but the whole thing is great.

Then go to Common One…

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like your take on seeing it through Buddy’s eyes, especially for the music scenes.

I also agree that my intense connection to that music, and my feelings about Van, are somewhat unique as among the typical viewers of the movie.

Minor point, but one I made last night—and at which Mrs. 8893 scoffed—is that none of those tunes are from the time period of the movie. They are all later, and in some cases (e.g. “Caledonia Swing,” “Stranded,” “Days Like This”) much later—like decades. The Oscar-nominated song from the opening, “Down to Joy,” is actually a 2021 remake of a very obscure early 70s Van song. The closest in proximity is probably “Wild Night,” off Tupelo Honey in 1971.

That said, two of them, “Bright Side of the Road” and “And The Healing Has Begun,” come from one of my overall favorites, Into the Music, from 1979. If you are looking for one to pick up that you don’t already have, that would be a terrific place to start.

Not featured at all in the movie, but No Guru, No Method, No Teacher is a dark horse favorite of mine that I always recommend. It’s an album I’ve turned to time and again for decades, especially at contemplative times or when I am at a crossroads of sorts. “In the Garden” is the centerpiece, but the whole thing is great.

Then go to Common One…
You are showing me what I already suspected, that my knowledge of the non hit Van tunes is inadequate. That was highlighted by a couple of great tunes in the movie that I didn't know. I really need to explore his back catalogue. Will try some of those.

As for seeing through Buddy's eyes, somewhere in my mind it's like you're venturing into a pensieve in Harry Potter. Was more clear to me the second time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You are showing me what I already suspected, that my knowledge of the non hit Van tunes is inadequate. That was highlighted by a couple of great tunes in the movie that I didn't know. I really need to explore his back catalogue. Will try some of those.

As for seeing through Buddy's eyes, somewhere in my mind it's like you're venturing into a pensieve in Harry Potter. Was more clear to me the second time.
Van’s catalogue is staggering, and almost all excellent.

I don’t know any of the Potter stuff but I get what you’re saying; it’s a little La La Landish from that angle. I hope to see it again with that perspective in mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nightmare Ally
Wow that is one dark movie. You can see the twist coming from a mile away and it’s a little long at 2 1/2 hours, but not a bad watch.

Reaction Score
That wasnt low budget. That film had a budget of about 90m which is about average and definitely on the high end for a Netflix film.

Reaction Score
Marry Me - the worst
Youd have to pay me or assure me id get lucky after a date to sit through that trash. JLo does some of the worst films and she has to be among the 5 if not the worst actess on the A list.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Youd have to pay me or assure me id get lucky after a date to sit through that trash. JLo does some of the worst films and she has to be among the 5 if not the worst actess on the A list.
Try "Parker". Not that she's any good in that, but she doesn't sink it either. Typical fun Jason Statham joyride... which an actual "A-list" actress probably wouldn't have touched.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gorky Park - Went back almost 40 years for this gem. I'd thought I'd seen it before but apparently never did. Solid story, but not your typical Soviet vs US spy stuff. William Hurt is an officer in the militia (basically regional cops I think). He takes on the murder of 3 people whose identities have basically been eliminated in a grisly manner. A NYC detective shows up as he's looking for one of the murder victims. What I liked about this film vs others set in the USSR is this really gives an idea of the paranoia at the time as well as general living conditions of the middle class and the rich. We're used to stories on how the local cops get in the way of the FBI. But everyone lives in those. When it's the KGB vs the local cops, good chance you don't live. Anyway, w/o giving away the main plot point, it's not a spy vs spy thing. It's more about corruption. Good film. Mildly dated and it's weird that most of the actors adopt a British-y accent, including Hurt, but it's a solid story, easy to follow, believable and well-paced.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Parts You Lose (Prime) - This flick won't be for everyone. I'd never heard of it, but in scrolling through options, I noticed the cast (Aaron Paul, Scoot McNairy, Mary Elizabeth Winstead), all of whom I like, so gave it a try. About a deaf kid (Danny Murphy, who's deaf IRL), who finds a wounded man near his home, hides him in a barn and cares for him. Danny has an overprotective mother, a father who finds having a deaf boy is a real PITA, and is bullied at school. He learns valuable life lessons from the recovering criminal. It is very slow moving, and at some point during the film, I realized that I wasn't watching so much of a storyline of a killer who becomes a father figure that seemed somewhat familiar (e.g. "A Perfect World"), but more of how growing up with those parents and these events are interpreted by a deaf child. Did I mention it's really slow paced? There is no action. There's not even any scenery to look at as it's set in the Dakotas in winter. Anyway, I stuck with it and was glad I did. I thought the kid's performance was amazing.

Reaction Score
Extract (2009) - A friend recommended it to me. I'm a Jason Bateman fan and the cast is top notch. Mila Kunis, Kristen Weig, Ben Affleck, JK Simmons, David Koechner (from Office and Anchorman).

God, was it abysmal. A comedy that just isn't funny. At any time in any scene. Not one memorable line or character from the entire thing. Silly plot. Predictable ending. What a bag of hot garbage this one was....

Reaction Score
Game Night is a pretty good film. Enjoyable. Funny. Doesn't insult your intelligence. The story twists and turns enough to keep your interest. Definitely worth a couple of hours.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Driveways - Another small movie character study with no action and barely a plot. I enjoyed it. I believe it was the great Brian Dennehy's last feature role. Sensitive kid befriends an old guy, but not in a Gran Torino way. It's about who do you trust, do you really know people in your life, and have you lived a good one.

Sorry to Bother You - In a completely different vein, this is a movie unlike anything you've ever seen. It's a comedic love story, a statement on having bad values, a socio-political commentary on capitalistic sheepism, and a horror movie, all wrapped up in a tidy package. I'd heard of it, but that the plot revolved around a telemarketer didn't get me to watch. But this week I did. It was entertaining with a whole bunch of surprises. Be forewarned, it's weird and not the movie you think it's going to be even 2/3rd of the way through.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Uncharted. 2022. Saw it at Regal cinemas. Tom, Holland and Mark Wahlberg with Antonio Banderas on the side. Tati Gabrielle is carving a nice niche acting gig as the bad female character. Sophia Ali has a sizable supporting role, didn't know who she is but she's pretty. This is an action, adventure, treasure hunting kind of thing. Sort of National Treasure meets Indiana Jones. Rotten Tomatoes: critics 41%, audience 90%. And that kind of sums it up. It's a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. There are some weak points, but it doesn't stop it from succeeding as a popcorn movie. Based on a Playstation series of video games, this project was started and stopped many times, with many writing, directing and cast changes. Yet it is clear at the end that a sequel will be coming. Since this one was a hit, I expect the next one will probably be better with a cohesive vision from the start. Holland's core character Nathan Drake has some promise.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Timeline. 2003. You know you are running out of appealing options when you re-watch probably the worst Michael Crichton book based film. It's not bad, it just could have been quite good. Big cast, Gerard Butler, Billy Connolly, Paul Walker, Frances O'Conner, Neal McDonough, Anna Friel etc. Archeologists word on a site an English - French battle in 14th century France. Billionaire found he can send people to that exact time and place, so funds their dig. Crew travels back to save the professor (Billy Connolly). It's got swords, technology, romance and an evil tech billionaire (who isn't really evil at all). Anna Friel is absolutely adorable, and Gerard Butler is perhaps appropriately smitten. Paul Walker has a crush on Frances O'Conner, and he's just creepy about it. Clingy and cringe. The movie is ok. I recall the book was better.

Reaction Score
Timeline. 2003. You know you are running out of appealing options when you re-watch probably the worst Michael Crichton book based film. It's not bad, it just could have been quite good. Big cast, Gerard Butler, Billy Connolly, Paul Walker, Frances O'Conner, Neal McDonough, Anna Friel etc. Archeologists word on a site an English - French battle in 14th century France. Billionaire found he can send people to that exact time and place, so funds their dig. Crew travels back to save the professor (Billy Connolly). It's got swords, technology, romance and an evil tech billionaire (who isn't really evil at all). Anna Friel is absolutely adorable, and Gerard Butler is perhaps appropriately smitten. Paul Walker has a crush on Frances O'Conner, and he's just creepy about it. Clingy and cringe. The movie is ok. I recall the book was better.

"The movie is ok." That pretty much sums it up. Formula. If you miss it, you're not really missing anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom