Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Look Both Ways (2022 Netflix): Graduation night at University of Texas, Austin. Natalie had “one-time” sex with her friend a few weeks beforehand and takes a pregnancy test on graduation night because she’s not feeling well. In one universe the test is positive and in the other the test is negative. So it is an updated take on the meta-verse or parallel universes, where we see how her life plays out in each scenario.

Lili Reinhart shines as Natalie and is the highlight of the movie, which is a great concept but I thought they could have done better with the execution. Interesting watch and Reinhart is good, but I thought Sliding Doors (1998 Gwyneth Paltrow film) was a much better take on the concept.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lili Reinhart shines as Natalie and is the highlight of the movie
I enjoyed this movie. Riverdale is a trash show, I'm glad to see her do some things outside of that.

I also liked Luke Wilson and Andrea Savage as her parents.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I enjoyed this movie. Riverdale is a trash show, I'm glad to see her do some things outside of that.

I also liked Luke Wilson and Andrea Savage as her parents.
I had never seen Reinhart before, but my oldest daughter watched that show—and also said it’s crap—and I saw that that’s what Reinhart had done previously when I looked her up. I also had no idea until yesterday that the show was based on the Archie comics.

In any event, I thought she carried Look Both Ways. She reminded me of a mix of Kaley Cuoco and Brittany Murphy. I liked Savage as the mom, too.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I had never seen Reinhart before, but my oldest daughter watched that show—and also said it’s crap—and I saw that that’s what Reinhart had done previously when I looked her up.
She did a movie for Amazon about a year ago--Chemical Hearts. It was okay, but I thought her performance in that was good as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul, Netflix expose about the Tim Donaghy fiasco. A little dull, but some interest. I don't know, you have different people saying different things, but to me it just confirms David Stern was absolutely a crook and a liar. The NBA was pretty tainted, and somehow Donaghy was the only person who went down. Even makes the FBI look fairly suspicious. I absolutely KNEW that Lakers-Warriors Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals in '07 or so was a fixed game. Watching that live, it was just so evident that Stern had told the refs you better make sure this series goes to Game 7, so they did. Also confirms just in general that some refs are fairly petty individuals who hold grudges against players and coaches and totally abuse their power when they are officiating games involving those players/coaches. That all seemed fairly evident too. I haven't really paid much attention to the NBA since that era, Stern just totally ruined the league for me.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Amazon has an EXTENDED version of Jurassic World Dominion. How can you possibly make it even longer, the theatrical version is overly long by a good 20 to 30 minutes.

I keep ruminating on this (and watched Pitch Meeting and Honest Trailers ripping it to shreds). Are movie execs/screen writers/directors/producers out to prove just how bad of a movie they can get audiences to spend money on? Are they all really terrible at their jobs? It's just kind of mind numbing to me.
Embrace the power of AND

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Coco. Pixar. Don't know the year. Daughter wanted to watch this. It's a cute story, not up to the level of the best Pixar movies, but pretty solid. Set in Mexico around the Day of the Dead, it follows a young boy who magically crosses the plane between the living and dead, and needs the help of his family ancestors to come back. Uncovers many secrets along the way, which changes things for his living family and others. Despite being partly about music, it's less musical than many (like Encanto...which is the Frozen of the current generation of little kids). Pretty decent really, some laughs.

Reaction Score
Oops, I meant Kings. Probably had the wrong year too.
I remember watching it live and it was the most obvious fixed game I've ever seen. I almost threw the TV out the window. Everything surrounding that from Stern on down was disgraceful and the Kings were going to win the championship that year had it not been fixed. It's amazing how everything outside of Donaghy was swept under the rug.

Reaction Score
Muriel's Wedding (1995)

One of those movies that came out in my childhood that was totally off my radar but was a favorite of my wife growing up. Randomly, it came up in conversation and likened to my love of Napoleon Dynamite (maybe my favorite movie), this movie was recommended and watched over the weekend.

The first 30 or so minutes are Dynamite-esque, in the time-nebulous Australian coastal town of Dolphin Spit, its quirkiness spearheaded by the film's excellent set design, the omnipresence of Abba and Toni Collette's lead role that morphed into a dramedy about the importance of living truthfully.

Overall, I really liked Collette as her acting was endearing and quite diverse from oddball to heartfelt.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Elvis. 2022. Streaming free HBOMax. The casting is impressive. Austin Butler is really very good as one of the most iconic figures in modern history. Not an easy role. Olivia de Jong is a good Pricilla. Tom Hanks as colonel Parker, someone I knew nothing about. And therein lies the core of the story. Plenty about Elvis growing up in Memphis, mixing with black kids and loving the blues and gospel. Truly a critical force at a key time in our history. But there’s a lot about how Parker directed his career, right to its untimely end. Having seen several very old performers recently, it strikes me that had Elvis gotten through the 70s, he could have been huge for decades more. A great loss for us all. It’s a good movie. Long, but worth it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bullet Train. 2022. Pouring rain on Labor Day? Head to the movies. Big cast in this, Brad Pitt, Aaron Taylor Johnson, Bryan Tyree Henry, Joey King and others, including some cook cameos. Didn't realize this was a Japanese movie in a way, or at least, half American half Japanese, based on a Japanese book. The train leaves from Tokyo, and Pitt is a reluctant assassin who gets on for an assignment. He's trying to be better and throughout the movie discusses it with his handler (one of the cameos). She gives him the code name "Ladybug", because he thinks he has terrible luck. This becomes important later in a story relayed by The Elder. Several others on on board as well, and well, some crazy and often funny stuff ensues. Brad Pitt is just uniquely good in these comic-action roles. Johnson and Henry are very funny as Tangerine and Lemon. King is rocking the sexy schoolgirl thing for all it's worth. The whole movie is damned clever and lots of fun. My wife said it could have had 10-15 minutes cut, but nah, maybe 5 tops. Highly recommended.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Olivia de Jong is a good Pricilla
I've seen her in a few things, I liker her. Took me the longest time to figure out she's not American. She seems to find herself playing tragic characters most of the time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"The Poison Rose" streaming on Netflix. I honestly don't remember ever hearing of this movie, although it's got a big cast--Travolta, Morgan Freeman, Brendan Fraser, Robert Patrick, Peter Stormare, Famke Janssen. Very mediocre, and that's being kind. I don't know if it was just trying too hard to be noir and not pulling it off, bad script, or something else, but it fell flat. Started okay and got worse the longer it went on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Elvis. 2022. Streaming free HBOMax. The casting is impressive. Austin Butler is really very good as one of the most iconic figures in modern history. Not an easy role. Olivia de Jong is a good Pricilla. Tom Hanks as colonel Parker, someone I knew nothing about. And therein lies the core of the story. Plenty about Elvis growing up in Memphis, mixing with black kids and loving the blues and gospel. Truly a critical force at a key time in our history. But there’s a lot about how Parker directed his career, right to its untimely end. Having seen several very old performers recently, it strikes me that had Elvis gotten through the 70s, he could have been huge for decades more. A great loss for us all. It’s a good movie. Long, but worth it.
I watched about half of it. It definitely has its moments, but it seems rushed. I don’t know how much I like the decision of Tom Hanks as Colonel Parker as the narrator and his make up makes him look like one of the goblins from Harry Potter. The accent Hanks uses is an interesting choice as well. Here’s what Colonel Parker actually sounded like:

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Outlaw King. 2018. Netflix. Rewatch. With all the hullabaloo about Don't Worry Darling, my wife requested a Chris Pine movie. Bonus: it has Florence Pugh as well. This is a pretty well done story of Robert the Bruce and the Scottish rebellion (rekindled) in the early 1300s. I enjoy historical dramas, and Scotland, so it's a win for me. Once they hid out on Islay (shamefully mispronounced in the movie) I had to pour some Laphroaig. Lots of blood and mud, but I suspect that's fairly accurate. Important militarily, as the use of guerilla tactics against the English army was key to victory. Not great, but certainly pretty decent.

For those not following the whole Don't Worry Darling thing, here's a tweet. The memes around Chris Pine and Harry Styles this week were hilarious.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've been living under a rock apparently. I've been curious about the movie, but had no clue about the drama surrounding the cast.

How is there already a critics score on Rotten Tomatoes 2 weeks before it opens? They hate it apparently. Could the drama be manufactured to generate more interest?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Outlaw King. 2018. Netflix. Rewatch. With all the hullabaloo about Don't Worry Darling, my wife requested a Chris Pine movie. Bonus: it has Florence Pugh as well. This is a pretty well done story of Robert the Bruce and the Scottish rebellion (rekindled) in the early 1300s. I enjoy historical dramas, and Scotland, so it's a win for me. Once they hid out on Islay (shamefully mispronounced in the movie) I had to pour some Laphroaig. Lots of blood and mud, but I suspect that's fairly accurate. Important militarily, as the use of guerilla tactics against the English army was key to victory. Not great, but certainly pretty decent.

For those not following the whole Don't Worry Darling thing, here's a tweet. The memes around Chris Pine and Harry Styles this week were hilarious.

Chris Pine wants nothing to do with it or with Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde. It seems like nobody wants to be around Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Chris Pine wants nothing to do with it or with Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde. It seems like nobody wants to be around Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde.
That’s why the video of him with Harry were hilarious. The memes were glorious as Harry attempted to describe what he likes about movies and poor Chris suffered through it. Styles is a complete moron.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While the historical accuracy is a significant upgrade from Braveheart, I found it quite slow moving and Chris Pine pretty dull as an inspirational leader.

Reaction Score
Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) - Ordinarily I am rather skeptical of the modern films that Disney produces these days, but this animated feature got very good reviews and the subject matter sounded interesting, so I decided to give this fantasy movie a try. While I don’t think it was quite up to the quality the reviews indicated, I did think it was above average and certainly a watchable movie. The world that Princess Raya lives in is being ravaged by something called the Druun, mindless spirits that among other things turn living things to stone. Raya goes on a quest to attempt solve this problem, which isn’t made any easier by the fact that it seems that very few people in her world are willing to trust one another, especially people from tribes that are not their own. This quest revolves around finding and getting the help of the last dragon, and to bring together the various pieces of a crystal that has been broken, with the various pieces scattered among the tribes of her land. Raya goes off on her quest, and as you may expect, encounters various adventures in the pursuit of her quest. As the quest moves on, a number of companions join in the quest, which is rather amazing given the lack of trust in this world.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dual...oof. Not what it presented itself as. The poster/dvd cover art is a flat out lie. I liked the director's previous offering (The Art of Self Defense), but this came up way short. It had a few moments, but not enough to add up to something worthwhile. Hated the way it ended. A double dose of Karen Gillan was not enough to save this.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Moonfall. HBO.

Had no interest in watching this movie, but I couldn't sleep, and I gave it a shot. Im not a fan of the Earth is about to end movies, but this one was good to very good.

Reaction Score
Moonfall. HBO.

Had no interest in watching this movie, but I couldn't sleep, and I gave it a shot. Im not a fan of the Earth is about to end movies, but this one was good to very good.
Moonfall.

I like almost anything science fiction especially when there are lots of explosions and good CG. Moonfall delivered on that score. But this one crosses the line with some very silly and beyond possible stuff. I'm good with the spaceship moon and AI creature. But I need the action to be somewhat plausible. It's okay. Nothing special.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dual...oof. Not what it presented itself as. The poster/dvd cover art is a flat out lie. I liked the director's previous offering (The Art of Self Defense), but this came up way short. It had a few moments, but not enough to add up to something worthwhile. Hated the way it ended. A double dose of Karen Gillan was not enough to save this.
I hadn’t heard of this until you posted. It actually looks pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom