Recently Watched Movies 2021 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2021

Reaction Score
Welcome to the new Recently Seen Movie Thread!!!

Previous Editions: 2018 -- 2019 -- 2020

Year End Movie Review Roundup!!! (for postings in 2020 only)

Mano:

Total movies watched: 63

1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Joker, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Hustlers, Midsommar, Ad Astra, Zombieland: Double Tap, The Addams Family, Ready of Not, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Moon, Hellboy, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Ford v Ferrari, Parasite, Enemy, 6 Underground, Doctor Sleep, Jojo Rabbit, Pokemon Detective Pikachu, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Onward, Knives Out, Terminator: Dark Fate, Midway, Abominable, Spies in Disguise, Uncut Gems, Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker, Noelle, Trolls World Tour, Greta, Dora and the Lost City of Gold, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Free Solo, Stuber, Sonic the Hedgehog, Birds of Prey, Like a Boss, The Hunt, The Invisible Man, Downhill, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, Missing Link, Hamilton, Scoob!, The Adjustment Bureau, The King of Staten Island, An American Pickle, Class Action Park, Wind River, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Tenet, Fatman, The Midnight Sky, Gemini Man, Last Christmas, Hoosiers, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Soul, Wonder Woman 1984

2020 Top 5:

1) 1917
2) Wind River
3) Tenet
4) Soul
5) Ad Astra

Just Missed:

Ford v Ferrari, Doctor Sleep, Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Eurovision Song Contest

@nwhoopfan

Total movies watched: 73

Her Alibi, The Art of Racing in the Rain, Zombieland: Double Tap, Terminator: Dark Fate, Jojo Rabbit, Midway, The Outcasts, Charlie's Angels, Midsommar, 21 Bridges, Gemini Man, Dear Albania, Level 16, Overlord, Feast of the Seven Fishes, Code 8, Ford v Ferrari, Little Women (2019), Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, The Gentlemen, The Night Before, Bloodshot, Time Lapse, Carolina, The Magic of Belle Isle, Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Birds, Miss Minoes, Little Women (1994), Princess Caraboo, Marrowbone, Rip Tide, A.C.O.D., Red Knot, My Spy, The Reading Room, Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable, Ride Like a Girl, Ballet Shoes, Guns Akimbo, Banana Split, The First Time, Monsoon, Vivarium, The Black Hole, The November Man, Waking Madison, Operator, Ways to Live Forever, I Am Dragon, Say You Will, Chemical Hearts, Armenia Uncovered, To the Stars, Stuck in Love, A Good Old Fashioned Or G, Take Care, Buffaloed, Little Birds, Our Blood is Wine, Jumanji: The Next Level, The Lie, Lone Star State of Mind, Archive, Enola Holmes, Rebecca, Erased, Carrie Pilby, All the Bright Places, Lost Girls, A Girl Like Her, The Hunt

@Dove

Total movies watched: 63

It Come at Night, Rattlesnake, Rocky Balboa, Joker, El Camino, Midsommar, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ad Astra, The Big Sick, Smokey and the Bandit, Creed 2, Richard Jewell, Rocketman, A Perfect World, The Decline, Aftermath, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, In the Shadow of the Moon, Light of My Life, Cat Fight, Airplane, Blinded by the Light, Making a Killing, Permanent, Glass, Yesterday, Night Hunter, The Platform, Red Sparrow, From Dusk Till Dawn, Manchester by the Sea, The Usual Suspects, The Next Three Days, Marrowbone, The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, The Invisible Man, The Lodge, The Wolf of Wall Street, Da 5 Bloods, The Irishman, The Meyerowitz Stories, The Pineapple Express, The Vast of Night, Vivarium, The Old Guard, Unsane, Bone Tomahawk, Becky, The Hunt, A Family That Fights, Warrior, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, Dolemite is my Name, 6 Underground, Mine 9, Mississippi Burning, Arkansas, Hillbilly Elegy, The Christmas Chronicles, The Christmas Chronicle 2, The Nightingale, It's a Wonderful Life, Deck the Halls

@dbmill

Total movies watched: 25

Wild Rose, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Efficiency Expert, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Jojo Rabbit, Knives Out, The Cooler, My Neighbor Totoro, School of Rock, Midnight Special, The Devil Wears Prada, Win Win, Almost Famous, The Trip, The Way, Way Back, Donovan's Reef, King of California, Extra Ordinary, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Enough Said, The Lighthouse, The Color Out of Space, Ghost Town, Begin Again

@ZooCougar

Total movies watched: 13

Marriage Story, Pokemon Detective Pikachu, Ford v Ferrari, Knives Out, Jojo Rabbit, The Bonfire of the Vanities, Trolls World Tour, Grand Canyon, Greyhound, Fatman, Tenet, Hunter Hunter, Greenland

@HuskyHawk

Total movies watched: 10

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Joker, Scotch: A Golden Dream, Midway, 1917, American Gangster, Ford v Ferrari, Crooked House, Finding Forrester, Ghosts of War 2020

@nelsonmuntz

The Wiz, Savages, The Disaster Artist, Unstoppable, A Futile and Stupid Gesture, Palm Springs, Da 5 Bloods, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, The Current War, Mank

@Waquoit

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, The Aeronauts, Little Women, Knives Out, Uncut Gems, Mucho Mucho Amor: The Legend of Walter Mercado, First Cow, Pick of the Litter, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, Morning Glory

@zymurg

Total movies watched: 9

The Great Train Robbery, Twenty Feet from Stardom, Heathers, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Advise and Consent, The Best Man, Official Secrets, Wild River, Curse of the Demon
@Deepster

Total movies watched: 8

Like a Boss, Peanut Butter Falcon, Jojo Rabbit, Saving Mr. Banks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Extraction, Uncut Gems, Greyhound

@8893

Total movies watched: 6

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice, Judy, 1917, Peanut Butter Falcon, Jojo Rabbit

@storrsroars

Total movies watched: 6

Stand Up Guys, The Laundromat, The Old Guard, Mank, The Christmas Chronicles, The Christmas Chronicles 2

@Husky25

Total movies watched: 5

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Rocketman, El Camino, Trolls World Tour, Let Him Go

@navery12

Total movies watched: 3

Knives Out, Murder Mystery, El Camino

@Deadrody

Total movies watched: 2

Midway, The Fate of the Furious

@Hey Adrien!

Palm Springs, The Beach Bum

@Jay-Bone

The Art of Self-Defense, Midsommar

@CL82

Total movies watched: 1

Annihilation​

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Foreigner (2017) - Awesome revenge/spy thriller. All of the characters are interesting, and unlike a lot of spy movies, the twists are both surprising and realistic, and the outcome is not predictable. I like Pierce Brosnan in everything he is in, and he is excellent in this as an IRA-affiliated politician. Jackie Chan is good in a rare serious role for him. I didn't recognize most of the rest of the cast, and that gets a little confusing, but I suggest having IMDB open while you watch it so you can keep track of everyone. The movie is on Netflix, and I strongly recommend it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Midnight Sky (2020) - I am stuck halfway through this movie, and may not finish it. I have a few important expectations with Sci Fi and fantasy movies, one of which is that the movie MUST EXPLAIN THE RULES of the world it is operating in the first 15 minutes of the movie. I don't care if it is exposition or even a screen crawl that explains what is happening, I just need to know what the deal is with the world the characters are living in. Otherwise the plot is irrelevant. Without knowing the rules, stuff just happens, and it has no meaning to the characters or me as a viewer because it might as well be magic.

I got an hour into this movie, there was just a huge surprising scene, and I have no idea why it happened, why the two characters involved didn't know it could happen, and how the characters got out of the situation. It was followed by another scene that was supposed to be dramatic, and I had no context for that scene either.

I got annoyed so I turned it off.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I sure watched way more than 10 movies. Need to do a better job posting those.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I gave up after about 30 minutes. Sounds like I did myself a favor not pressing on.

I thought it was tolerable. But my standards for new content have declined somewhat. It really isn’t what it seems to be, and I think that makes it a grind.

AVA. Jessica Chastain is better than the script deserves. It isn’t as terrible as the critics say. But it certainly isn’t a hidden gem. She’s an assassin and things go wrong, as is always the case. Her attempted morality doesn’t ring true really. 2/4

Greyhound. Apple TV. Tom Hanks is superb. He’s a new Destroyer captain leading a convoy of merchant ships across the North Atlantic in WWII. This is shot in near real time. Not quite 1917, as there are jumps, but between the jumps, what you see happens in close to real time. The resulting tension and appreciation for what these crews went though is impressive. This is terrific. 3.5/4

Enola Holmes. Sweet, fun, funny at times and entirely pleasant. Millie Bobbie Brown has a big future ahead of her. Henry Caville is good as well. Not Oscar worthy, but certainly worth watching. Solid B to B+ work. 3/4

Extraction. Chris Hemsworth is a soldier, leading a team performing an extraction. And for a change he’s not American or Asgardian, but Australian. This is a fast paced action movie and it delivers. The plot is just sufficient for such fare, but it holds up. Great stunt work here for sure. It’s solid. 2.5/4

Reaction Score
The Frozen Ground (2013). Nicholas Cage, Vanessa Hudgens, John Cusack, Dean Norris, 50 Cent. Based on a true story of a serial killer. It wasn't great but I did meet Ms. Hudgens I believe for the first time and the story itself is shocking.

Mile 22 (2018). Mark Wahlberg, Lauren Cohan, John Malkovich, Ronda Rousey, Iko Uwais. Always enjoy Wahlberg movies. This is entertaining enough with plenty of sarcastic dialogue and what is seemingly a simple plot. Many of your typical action scenes. I think there was supposed to be a sequel based on the ending.

Dangerous Lies (2020). Camila Mendes, Jessie T Usher, Elliott Gould. Not very good but something to watch with the wife.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
AVA. Jessica Chastain is better than the script deserves. It isn’t as terrible as the critics say. But it certainly isn’t a hidden gem. She’s an assassin and things go wrong, as is always the case. Her attempted morality doesn’t ring true really. 2/4
This was a strange one. It seemed like a few different films that were not seamlessly melded together. Good cast, but something didn't quite work. I think some of the fight choreography wasn't good. Chastain is a great actress but she didn't quite sell this role. I kinda thought Diana Silvers stole whatever few scenes she was in, as Colin Farrell's daughter. I've liked Jess Weixler in several films I've seen her in previously, she was almost unrecognizable in this one.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Frozen Ground (2013). Nicholas Cage, Vanessa Hudgens, John Cusack, Dean Norris, 50 Cent. Based on a true story of a serial killer. It wasn't great but I did meet Ms. Hudgens I believe for the first time and the story itself is shocking.
I started on this one a while ago. There wasn't anything in particular wrong with it, maybe just too bleak and I wasn't in the right mood for it. Never finished it. Maybe the most toned down performance of Cage's career?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking at the '20 wrap up list, I stopped putting up reviews toward the end of the year, not really sure why.

First movie of '21 for me, a Polish film streaming on Netflix called "Fierce." Dubbed in English, except for some singing. It's kinda funny, I don't watch any of the singing/talent competition shows on live TV, but I've seen several movies centered around them. In this one a jerky Simon Cowell type of judge turns out to be the father of one of the contestants, although he left her mother before she was born and never met her previously. They really have it in for each other and sling verbal barbs and glares at each other throughout most of the movie. It's a bit melodramatic and maybe a bit cheesy, but I enjoyed it fairly well. Might be the first Polish movie I've ever seen.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Trying to do better logging these.

Sylvie’s Love. Tessa Thompson is the star as Sylvie. This is an Amazon Original. Story of a young woman and man in Harlem in the late 50s and early 60s. Music is terrific. Acting is excellent from all the leads. The male lead is a former all pro DB with the Oakland Raiders, Nmandi Asomugha. Aja Naomi King is lovely as Sylvie’s cousin. All of the characters, except Sylvie’s dad, are pretty flawed, and therefore human. Her dad is the one guy I truly liked. It’s a good story. I have some doubts about the behavior of these people which isn’t always rational, but it is what it is. Overall a nice film, 3/4. Kudos for making a film about black Americans in that era that really isn’t about race. It’s refreshing. It does get a mention but isn’t the focus.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) - Really enjoyed this movie. Sasha Baron Cohen is great as Abbie Hoffman. Didn't expect to see Michael Keaton when his character debuted. This event in history was not taught in my school. Very enlightening. I felt I was watching 2021 during the rioting parts.

Overlord (2018) - My wife wanted a zombie movie and we had this movie on the watch list. Not really a zombie movie, tho. But this is a wild an crazy WWII movie with amazing special effects and tense movies. Overall, to me an excellent watch. The movie opens with bombers (101st Airborne) on the way to France as Operation Neptune is beginning. And that was a wild ride. The survivors on the ground need to blow up a Nazi communication tower in a French town. What they find is wicked nuts. I highly endorse this movie.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Overlord (2018) - My wife wanted a zombie movie and we had this movie on the watch list. Not really a zombie movie, tho. But this is a wild an crazy WWII movie with amazing special effects and tense movies. Overall, to me an excellent watch. The movie opens with bombers (101st Airborne) on the way to France as Operation Neptune is beginning. And that was a wild ride. The survivors on the ground need to blow up a Nazi communication tower in a French town. What they find is wicked nuts. I highly endorse this movie.
It was campier than I expected, and I struggled with some of the poor decision making multiple characters kept choosing. The French villager that aided them kept me watching, she was mesmerizing (Mathilde Olivier).

Reaction Score
First Cow (2019) - Given the title of this movie, somehow I find it oddly appropriate that it would be the first film that I write about in this thread in the new year. It takes place in 1820. Two loners, a cook/baker named Otis “Cookie" Figowitz, a white man originally from Maryland, and King-Lu, from China, first encounter each other in the wilds of the Oregon territory. Cookie especially is a fish out of water in the wilds of the west. The two meet again at a fort settlement in Oregon, where they bond and develop a friendship. In the midst of this evolving friendship, the two come up with a business scheme serving the people in the settlement. This is a slow moving film, and it gets a while before the two decide on this joint venture, as it takes a good 50 minutes into this approximate two hour film before we get to this point and get a glimpse of where this film is heading. The business venture involves some chicanery involving what is essentially the title character of the film. Once this business venture flowers, this low key film gets quite interesting. Kudos to John Magaro and Orion Lee playing these two leading characters, they do quite well with their parts. This is a film that I doubt would really appeal to a mass audience given its slow pace, even after the two launch their business venture. Still, I think this film is quite good and clever.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020) - Really enjoyed this movie. Sasha Baron Cohen is great as Abbie Hoffman. Didn't expect to see Michael Keaton when his character debuted. This event in history was not taught in my school. Very enlightening. I felt I was watching 2021 during the rioting parts.

Speaking of Zombie movies, there is a new Bill Murray Zombie movie. Has anybody seen it? The Dead Don’t Die.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Greyhound (2020) - This movie is incredible, and I think that a lot of the less than glowing reviews completely miss the point of this movie. This is not your typical war movie. Tom Hanks does not play an infallible hero, and this film does not deal in absolutes. The movie presents an almost continual battle scene simply as a fact of life that everyone has to deal with, and the impact of that fact on the characters.

Tom Hanks is great, but he also plays one of the more interesting protagonists in a war movie that I can remember. I will be thinking about this movie for months. Mild spoiler below:

He has to be strong for his crew, but you can tell he is hanging by a thread mentally the whole movie, and he does effectively start to break near the end. The character becomes more interesting than the action or plot as the movie goes on.

Reaction Score
Hangman (2017) Al Pacino, Karl Urban, Brittany Snow. Interesting serial killer plot.

Unknown (2011) Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger, January Jones. This came out just before Taken 2 and the characters are very similar.

I watch a lot of movies and a fair share of mediocre ones so I'm not gonna keep updating here. Unless the purpose is to post only really good movies.

Reaction Score
The Midnight Sky (2020) - I am stuck halfway through this movie, and may not finish it. I have a few important expectations with Sci Fi and fantasy movies, one of which is that the movie MUST EXPLAIN THE RULES of the world it is operating in the first 15 minutes of the movie. I don't care if it is exposition or even a screen crawl that explains what is happening, I just need to know what the deal is with the world the characters are living in. Otherwise the plot is irrelevant. Without knowing the rules, stuff just happens, and it has no meaning to the characters or me as a viewer because it might as well be magic.

I got an hour into this movie, there was just a huge surprising scene, and I have no idea why it happened, why the two characters involved didn't know it could happen, and how the characters got out of the situation. It was followed by another scene that was supposed to be dramatic, and I had no context for that scene either.

I got annoyed so I turned it off.
Awful. I found this last night and as I started watching I remembered your comment here. I watched it anyway because it seemed interesting enough. I kept thinking of The Martian and Gravity and this flick was nowhere near that level. Granted it's Netflix and not the big screen but just boring.

And still, it is on pace to become one of Netflix's most watched films.

George Clooney The Midnight Sky One Of Netflix’s Biggest Ever Openings – Deadline

Spoiler
It didn't take long to realize the little girl was just his imagination. The acting on the Aether was boring and there was no draw to these characters at all. Boring.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Awful. I found this last night and as I started watching I remembered your comment here. I watched it anyway because it seemed interesting enough. I kept thinking of The Martian and Gravity and this flick was nowhere near that level. Granted it's Netflix and not the big screen but just boring.

And still, it is on pace to become one of Netflix's most watched films.

George Clooney The Midnight Sky One Of Netflix’s Biggest Ever Openings – Deadline

Spoiler
It didn't take long to realize the little girl was just his imagination. The acting on the Aether was boring and there was no draw to these characters at all. Boring.

Your spoiler had not occurred to me, probably because I stopped caring about any of these characters about halfway through the movie. Kyle Chandler's character's motivations were more muddled and pointless than any of the characters', which is saying something in a movie of muddled and pointless characters.

Reaction Score
Your spoiler had not occurred to me, probably because I stopped caring about any of these characters about halfway through the movie. Kyle Chandler's character's motivations were more muddled and pointless than any of the characters', which is saying something in a movie of muddled and pointless characters.
The Midnight Sky (continued)
This disaster might need its own thread, as a lesson.
More Spoiler

I was curious about little Iris because she wasn't speaking. Trekking across the Artic would be difficult enough for a grown man in great health, but a little girl, she barely seemed fazed. Then when the dogs were circling, August put Iris directly behind him. One camera angle showed August all by himself. I figured she wasn't really there, although it could have just been a goof too.

The dive deep into the frozen water. Not sure why the ice melted in the first place. Maybe the heat from the catastrophe.

Where were the helicopters taking everyone?

The two astronauts decide to leave the space station and head to Earth which is uninhabitable, and the two remaining astronauts agree it was a good move. Not even slight opposition. That leaves two, one pregnant, to try to survive the rest of the trip. Ridiculous.

Even needlessly killing the astronaut was a failure. She had no idea she was impaled.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Greenland
Stars Gerard Butler, who I usually like and Morena Baccarin, who is just gorgeous. This is a disaster movie, but one that puts less emphasis on showing the destruction and CGI. Instead it focuses on people, their reactions, responses and it's better for that. Butler is estranged from Baccarin and they have a young son. Together, they need to try to survive. Overall it was good, despite a few rough patches and a handful of ridiculous things. Spoilers below.

A comet is coming and at first people are excited. The government evidently knows it is going to do damage and doesn't inform the public. Butler is a structural engineer and is valuable for a future rebuild. He and the family are offered shelter by DHS. Things go wrong, people do some boneheaded things, including Butler, and they get separated. They try to meet up at Baccarin's father's house, and more bizarre events unfold. Some plausible, some not. Butler learns in his travels that the shelter is in Greenland, and they decide to make a last effort to get there.

Despite the shortcomings and some implausible moments, you like these people. You want them to reach safety. So the story pulls you along successfully enough. I'll give it a 3/4 on my lower standards during Covid scale.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dark Was The Night (2014) - Pretty bad.

Kevin Durand and Lukas Haas star in this movie where creatures stalk the woods at night. A really slow burn with a terribly stoopid ending.

Avoid. But you probably don't know this movie exists anyway.

Reaction Score
Spencer Confidential (2020)
Mark Wahlberg as usual. It is considered an Action-Comedy-Drama and fits the bill. I found it on Netflix which is new to me but if I understand this correctly, these movies are being produced for Netflix and not movie theaters. or perhaps this is a of covid.
The interaction between Mark Wahlberg and the other characters is always pretty good, but his girlfriend is really . . . unique.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
if I understand this correctly, these movies are being produced for Netflix and not movie theaters. or perhaps this is a of covid
Netflix has their own studios. They've been producing original content TV shows and movies for years, long before covid changed the movie industry so drastically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom