Recently Watched Movies 2021 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2021

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Never know what will show up on Hoopla, some are fairly new. I hadn't even heard of this before but it sounded interesting enough. "Love Spreads" w/ Alia Shawkat, Eiza Gonzalez and some others I wasn't familiar with. About a band that had a surprising hit record w/ their debut, and are now in the studio to record their all important follow up. And it's not going well. Some drama within the band, and with their manager. Got tedious for a while, but just interesting enough to stick with. A change is made within the band about halfway thru and then the dynamic totally changes. It was almost faux documentary style, but not quite. Overall I enjoyed it. Did not like Alia's character. Eiza...seen a little of her before, always enjoyed her, hope to see more. If you like movies about music, might be worth checking out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dune-Gooooooooood and it really needs to be seen in a theatrical setting for best results.

Dune was pretty good. I know I am not the target audience for this movie, but I would have liked fewer action scenes and more set up.

There is not a lot of buildup to Yueh's betrayal. As someone who had read the book and saw the 1984 movie, I knew the context, but someone who had done neither Yueh's betrayal would not have nearly the impact. He was basically just one of the background characters until the attack starts in this version of Dune.

The attack on Arakis was very well done, and a huge improvement from the first movie. The technology just didn't exist 37 years ago to do that scene justice.

The long escape in this Dune ate up a lot of screen time. Pretty cool visually, but I kind of wanted them to get to the Fremen before the last 10 minutes of the movie.

I am fine with the movie being two parts. The book works fairly cleanly into a first and second act. I do wish they had already started filming part 2. I don't want to wait 2 years.

Reaction Score
Dune was pretty good. I know I am not the target audience for this movie, but I would have liked fewer action scenes and more set up.

There is not a lot of buildup to Yueh's betrayal. As someone who had read the book and saw the 1984 movie, I knew the context, but someone who had done neither Yueh's betrayal would not have nearly the impact. He was basically just one of the background characters until the attack starts in this version of Dune.

The attack on Arakis was very well done, and a huge improvement from the first movie. The technology just didn't exist 37 years ago to do that scene justice.

The long escape in this Dune ate up a lot of screen time. Pretty cool visually, but I kind of wanted them to get to the Fremen before the last 10 minutes of the movie.

I am fine with the movie being two parts. The book works fairly cleanly into a first and second act. I do wish they had already started filming part 2. I don't want to wait 2 years.

So, it was a long movie. But knowing it was part 1 I was kind of gun shy on the ending. Because I didn’t want to end.

I think the Yueh piece might have been edited out. This movie could have been 5-6 hours long if they covered everything, like the banquet. Also I am not certain that most of the uninitiated understand why the spice is so important

In the book they know there is a traitor, they just don’t know who. In relation to Yueh, there is a theory about the identity of the Harkonnen pet….

I wanted to see more Harkonnen and yeah in the book they are on Arrakis for much longer than a cup of coffee before they get attacked.

There are two or three really big things that I can think of that we haven’t seen. Looking forward to that.

I’ve seen the movie twice now. This thing was designed to be viewed more than once, like the first time I saw it I missed how Paul’s visions changed because events were happening to change the outcome.

Reaction Score

Also, I am thinking. That some of Part 2 already has been filmed.

But I have a feeling the second part will pick up two years in the future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Also, I am thinking. That some of Part 2 already has been filmed.

But I have a feeling the second part will pick up two years in the future.

They are keeping a fairly deliberate pace. If part two is the same length as part one, then that is over 5 hours of screen time to cover the book, which feels about right. That said, after sleeping on it, it seems even weirder that the Paul and Jessica adventure took up so much screen time. I get the importance that scene has for Duncan Idaho, but it was still a lot of screen time on those scenes when so much else got cut.

If they keep this pacing, the next movie will be 105 minutes of Paul and Jessica with Chani and the Fremen, and then about 45 minutes of the attack on the Harkonnen.

Reaction Score
They are keeping a fairly deliberate pace. If part two is the same length as part one, then that is over 5 hours of screen time to cover the book, which feels about right. That said, after sleeping on it, it seems even weirder that the Paul and Jessica adventure took up so much screen time. I get the importance that scene has for Duncan Idaho, but it was still a lot of screen time on those scenes when so much else got cut.

If they keep this pacing, the next movie will be 105 minutes of Paul and Jessica with Chani and the Fremen, and then about 45 minutes of the attack on the Harkonnen.

That part is important. That’s where the roles reverse. I like this Paul, he doesn’t see his abilities as a gift, more like a curse that he has to face. His outburst at Jessica was good.

I also dig how the portray the use of the voice.

Reaction Score
Never read Dune. Started watching it last night online (I know it should be seen on a big screen) didn't understand most of what was going on other than Spice is good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That part is important. That’s where the roles reverse. I like this Paul, he doesn’t see his abilities as a gift, more like a curse that he has to face. His outburst at Jessica was good.

Watched it on Saturday at the cinema (even though it was free on HBO Max). I thought it was really well done. This Paul is excellent. I like Rebecca Ferguson in anything. Overall, great casting even if I'm not sold on Zendaya being able to act (or eat more that 500 calories a day). Pacing was very good and it didn't feel long to me.

Reaction Score

Nicely set up by the conversation with his father at the Calladan family grave site before leaving for Arrakis

Reaction Score
Watched it on Saturday at the cinema (even though it was free on HBO Max). I thought it was really well done. This Paul is excellent. I like Rebecca Ferguson in anything. Overall, great casting even if I'm not sold on Zendaya being able to

Well, she is a vegetarian because she loves animals.

Reaction Score
Never read Dune. Started watching it last night online (I know it should be seen on a big screen) didn't understand most of what was going on other than Spice is good.

I was mildly critical of this. But the more I think about it, for the first movie it’s not that important.

When we meet the Emperor and the Spacing Guild it will come into focus.

I did not say this. I am not here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Matchup comparison, actors of 1984 Dune to actors of 2021 Dune:

More of ">" indicates a bigger gap between the actors.

Paul Atriedes - Timothy Chalamet >>>>>>>> Kyle MacLachlan - MacLachlan is a mediocre actor on his good days. Chalamet is great.

Chani - Zendaya >>>> Sean Young. Sean Young's claim to fame is being one of the most batspit crazy actors in the history of a town of batspit crazy actors. One of the problems with the first Dune is that MacLachlan and Young couldn't carry a movie as the leads.

Duncan Idaho - Jason Mamoa >> Richard Jordan. Jordan was a good actor back in the day, but this was weird casting in the 1984 movie. He wasn't right for the role.

Baron Harkonnen - Stellan Skarsgard >>> Kenneth McMillan. McMillan wasn't bad in Dune 1984, but Skarsgard is one of the best actors of his generation.

Duke Leto - Oscar Isaac >>> Jurgen Prochnow. Prochnow was not bad, but Isaac is better as an actor and the writing for Leto is so much better in the new one.

Lady Jessica - Francesca Annis >>>>> Rebecca Ferguson. I thought Rebecca Ferguson was absolutely wrong for Lady Jessica. Francesca Annis played her badass, and as someone to be feared. Ferguson is mousy and plays her practically afraid of her own shadow, so when Lady Jessica wins a couple of the confrontations in Dune 2021, it doesn't feel credible.

Gurney Hallock - Patrick Stewart > Josh Brolin. Close, but Stewart was better.

Shadout Mapes - Linda Hunt >>>> Golda Rosheuvel. There were a lot of odd directorial decisions in Dune 1984, but one of the few good ones was giving Linda Hunt a lot of screen time.

Stilgar - Javier Bardem > Everett McGill. Too early to call, although Bardem is probably going to come out ahead.

Thufir Hawat - Stephen McKinley Henderson = Freddie Jones. Both were good. Henderson has a chance to pull into the lead in Part II.

Dr. Yueh - Dean Stockwell > Chen Chang. I thought Chang was fine in the role, but the writers kind of screwed up the character in Dune 2021.

Rabban - Dave Bautista >>>>> Paul Smith. I thought Smith's Rabban was one of the worst acting jobs in the first Dune, for a role that isn't that hard. Simple competence by Bautista is a huge improvement.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Finally saw "Cruella." Decent, didn't like it as much as I thought I might. Took quite a while to get into the heart of the story. Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were both good. I always like Mark Strong, although he wasn't given a whole lot to do.

The movie used a ton of songs. First half of the movie, just about every scene used a rock song from the 60s or 70s. I found it really distracting. Some of them didn't fit IMO. But it was just such overkill. Seemed like an extended music video and took me out of the storytelling.

I'm assuming there will be a sequel. Interesting enough origin story, but doesn't really explain how Cruella became what we know her as. Unless Disney is scrapping that entirely. Kinda like Maleficient. Actually the misunderstood heroine, not a monster.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finally saw "Cruella." Decent, didn't like it as much as I thought I might. Took quite a while to get into the heart of the story. Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were both good. I always like Mark Strong, although he wasn't given a whole lot to do.

The movie used a ton of songs. First half of the movie, just about every scene used a rock song from the 60s or 70s. I found it really distracting. Some of them didn't fit IMO. But it was just such overkill. Seemed like an extended music video and took me out of the storytelling.

I'm assuming there will be a sequel. Interesting enough origin story, but doesn't really explain how Cruella became what we know her as. Unless Disney is scrapping that entirely. Kinda like Maleficient. Actually the misunderstood heroine, not a monster.

The music was part of what made it great for me. To each his own I guess. I thought it was quite good, if a bit slow to get going. I think that slow start helps with character development.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Inheritance. 2021. Found this streaming on Prime or Shudder, I'm not sure which. A woman inherits a massive home in central Kiev from her grandfather. She and her husband travel from Chicago. Weird stuff happens, which may or may not involve ghosts. There is unexplainable behavior from several people...none of which is ever explained. I'm not sure I have ever seen a movie that managed to be decent enough to keep watching, and which had 3-4 mysteries, of which they resolve one and then end. Annoying as hell.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen it before, but it's been quite a while. The latest (I think; 2017) take on the Arthurian legend, Guy Ritchie's "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" just hit Netflix streaming. I know some really don't like it, and I can understand that. I find it very entertaining. I think you have to adjust your expectations and just accept that it's very loosely based on the well known legend. There are plenty of other versions if you want something more traditional. It's a Ritchie movie thru and thru, and I appreciated that. Just set in a different time frame w/ some sword and sandal and sorcery/mysticism elements added to the mix. Fast talking, tough guy low level crooks in the seedy underbelly of London, that's what he does. It is a bit confusing at times, many characters are on screen at least briefly, some I don't think are even named, can be a bit difficult to figure out who is who. Especially among the female cast. There is the mage and Maggie, and then...a bunch of other women?

I'm sure there are much earlier versions, but to compare it to some others I believe "Excalibur" is considered a classic, but it seems fairly dated to me (1981). "First Knight" (1995) and "King Arthur" (2004--the one w/ Clive Owen and Keira Knightley) are both readily forgettable IMO. The 2004 version was also a very different take on the legend (while I didn't think of it til just now, it's not that dissimilar to "Centurion," which I consider a much better film; while that has nothing to do w/ Arthur, the basic premise of a small group of Roman soldiers battling it out with northern savages on the wrong side of a wall is pretty similar).

It's just one man's humble opinion, but for rewatchability I think I'd take Ritchie's version over those other 3 mentioned.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've seen it before, but it's been quite a while. The latest (I think; 2017) take on the Arthurian legend, Guy Ritchie's "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" just hit Netflix streaming. I know some really don't like it, and I can understand that. I find it very entertaining. I think you have to adjust your expectations and just accept that it's very loosely based on the well known legend. There are plenty of other versions if you want something more traditional. It's a Ritchie movie thru and thru, and I appreciated that. Just set in a different time frame w/ some sword and sandal and sorcery/mysticism elements added to the mix. Fast talking, tough guy low level crooks in the seedy underbelly of London, that's what he does. It is a bit confusing at times, many characters are on screen at least briefly, some I don't think are even named, can be a bit difficult to figure out who is who. Especially among the female cast. There is the mage and Maggie, and then...a bunch of other women?

I'm sure there are much earlier versions, but to compare it to some others I believe "Excalibur" is considered a classic, but it seems fairly dated to me (1981). "First Knight" (1995) and "King Arthur" (2004--the one w/ Clive Owen and Keira Knightley) are both readily forgettable IMO. The 2004 version was also a very different take on the legend (while I didn't think of it til just now, it's not that dissimilar to "Centurion," which I consider a much better film; while that has nothing to do w/ Arthur, the basic premise of a small group of Roman soldiers battling it out with northern savages on the wrong side of a wall is pretty similar).

It's just one man's humble opinion, but for rewatchability I think I'd take Ritchie's version over those other 3 mentioned.

I liked King Arthur (2004 Clive Owen), thought it brought an interesting element with the Romans, Celts and the Rus. I need to rewatch the one you mentioned. Excalibur was cool, except for the silly shiny armor. Definitely dated. Holy Grail actually had lots of historically accurate costuming. The Python guys wanted as much as possible to be realistic to help highlight the comedic absurdity.

Has anybody seen The Green Knight? It's been in theaters this fall/summer and still "rent" streaming. I was thinking of watching it this weekend.

Reaction Score
Matchup comparison, actors of 1984 Dune to actors of 2021 Dune:

More of ">" indicates a bigger gap between the actors.

Paul Atriedes - Timothy Chalamet >>>>>>>> Kyle MacLachlan - MacLachlan is a mediocre actor on his good days. Chalamet is great.

Chani - Zendaya >>>> Sean Young. Sean Young's claim to fame is being one of the most batspit crazy actors in the history of a town of batspit crazy actors. One of the problems with the first Dune is that MacLachlan and Young couldn't carry a movie as the leads.

Duncan Idaho - Jason Mamoa >> Richard Jordan. Jordan was a good actor back in the day, but this was weird casting in the 1984 movie. He wasn't right for the role.

Baron Harkonnen - Stellan Skarsgard >>> Kenneth McMillan. McMillan wasn't bad in Dune 1984, but Skarsgard is one of the best actors of his generation.

Duke Leto - Oscar Isaac >>> Jurgen Prochnow. Prochnow was not bad, but Isaac is better as an actor and the writing for Leto is so much better in the new one.

Lady Jessica - Francesca Annis >>>>> Rebecca Ferguson. I thought Rebecca Ferguson was absolutely wrong for Lady Jessica. Francesca Annis played her badass, and as someone to be feared. Ferguson is mousy and plays her practically afraid of her own shadow, so when Lady Jessica wins a couple of the confrontations in Dune 2021, it doesn't feel credible.

Gurney Hallock - Patrick Stewart > Josh Brolin. Close, but Stewart was better.

Shadout Mapes - Linda Hunt >>>> Golda Rosheuvel. There were a lot of odd directorial decisions in Dune 1984, but one of the few good ones was giving Linda Hunt a lot of screen time.

Stilgar - Javier Bardem > Everett McGill. Too early to call, although Bardem is probably going to come out ahead.

Thufir Hawat - Stephen McKinley Henderson = Freddie Jones. Both were good. Henderson has a chance to pull into the lead in Part II.

Dr. Yueh - Dean Stockwell > Chen Chang. I thought Chang was fine in the role, but the writers kind of screwed up the character in Dune 2021.

Rabban - Dave Bautista >>>>> Paul Smith. I thought Smith's Rabban was one of the worst acting jobs in the first Dune, for a role that isn't that hard. Simple competence by Bautista is a huge improvement.

Bardem was born to okay Stillgar.

Zendaya is terrible. She literally couldn’t act to save her life. Her value is 100% based on her looks.

Sean Young is crazy, but she had some great roles in No Way Out, Bladerunner and Dune. She was like the Zendaya of her time. Except she actually was talented.

The problem with the original Dune was the Producers and that Directors. The movie was butchered and while it had some goodness it also did some stupid stuff, like the rain at the end.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
. Holy Grail actually had lots of historically accurate costuming
How could I forget this? Definitely the best big screen treatment of Arthur of all time!

(I purposely skipped Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" since I haven't seen it since I was a kid and have zero recollection of it)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
'Hell Fest" (2018) - A killer in a hoodie and scary mask. I dug it. Not much more one can do to teen scream movies nowadays but this one satisfied.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I liked King Arthur (2004 Clive Owen), thought it brought an interesting element with the Romans, Celts and the Rus. I need to rewatch the one you mentioned. Excalibur was cool, except for the silly shiny armor. Definitely dated. Holy Grail actually had lots of historically accurate costuming. The Python guys wanted as much as possible to be realistic to help highlight the comedic absurdity.

Has anybody seen The Green Knight? It's been in theaters this fall/summer and still "rent" streaming. I was thinking of watching it this weekend.
Over the summer I found out that my lineage goes back to the Knights that go "Ni!!". I was amazed as hell.

Reaction Score

It’s sitting on my entertainment center waiting to be watched. Can’t wait to see it, the trailer and reviews have been tremendous.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How could I forget this? Definitely the best big screen treatment of Arthur of all time!

(I purposely skipped Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" since I haven't seen it since I was a kid and have zero recollection of it)
Over the summer I found out that my lineage goes back to the Knights that go "Ni!!". I was amazed as hell.

:rolleyes: "costumes" not coconuts. The troupe loaded it with fairly accurate details of the middle ages to enhance the obviously funny bits. From the general filth and squalor, to instruments and costumes, it's closer than many other such movies. Illuminating Joan: Visuals, Sources, and Commentary : Monty Python and the Holy Grail--Funny but Accurate (joanlapucelle.blogspot.com)

@Dove do you find that people have an unexplainable desire to bring you shrubbery?

Reaction Score

The Green Knight is definitely on my list of movies to see, of course not sure when that will happen.

Not sure how many times I have seen Holy Grail. I was an absolute Monty Python nut when I was in high school and in college.

Shiny armor or not, always had a great appreciation for Excalibur as well.

I thought "The Kid Who Would Be King"which came out a few years ago was a nice addition to the various Arthurian legend movies that are out there, while also putting the story in modern times. I quite enjoyed it, but from what I understand it pretty much went belly up at the box office when it came out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"The Suicide Squad" is so weird. Don't even have words for it. Entertaining I guess. You can tell Margot Robbie is having a ton of fun playing Harley Quinn, as always. I enjoyed the performances of a few of the other actors. But just so stinking weird.

Somebody really needs to do something about Waller. She's one of the worst characters ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom